Mega.co.nz

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Octopuss

Mega.co.nz

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-05-19, 11:26

Capture.PNG
Is this really a PM limitation, or does the site simply not detect the correct stuff like it usually happens?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Mega.co.nz

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-19, 12:55

What they call an "insufficient buffer", we call "not letting a website abuse local storage for gigabytes of data".
Their design of their service (not offering normal file downloads) and an abuse-conscious web client are simply incompatible.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-05-19, 17:37

Mega is good place but not for gigbyte file. There no spam and social and no google as well.
Also note that mega incompatible with download acceleration stuff.

Cunin

Unread post by Cunin » 2018-05-19, 18:22

I never had a problem with Mega, but I admittedly never been downloading HUGE files through the browser. In that case I just use JDownloader and it works pretty well, so that I can just close the browser and let JDownloader download the gigabytes while I sleep :)

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-05-19, 21:52

This is few tens of GBs worth of stuff, but surely noone would think to code something in a way that would require to store the entire thing in RAM or something? :wtf:

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-05-19, 22:10

It's best to use their MEGAsync program if you use MEGA often.

HaleSun
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by HaleSun » 2018-05-20, 00:52

I recommend MEGA Link Downloader: https://sites.google.com/site/shinchiro ... downloader

Doesn't require large cache like when downloading with a browser.

Noomelap13

Unread post by Noomelap13 » 2018-05-20, 07:54

Octopuss wrote: surely no one would think to code something in a way that would require to store the entire thing in RAM or something?
That is exactly what Mega does.

When using a browser Mega downloads to RAM, decrypts the file and then offers a save to disk.

Consequently only "smaller" files can be downloaded using a browser.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-20, 09:42

Noomelap13 wrote:That is exactly what Mega does.

When using a browser Mega downloads to RAM, decrypts the file and then offers a save to disk.
Actually, no.
It downloads the data for the entire file to your browser profile in the html5 local storage space, and then moves it to its final location. It doesn't store all of it in ram although some may get buffered there. Pale Moon (and probably Firefox as well) don't allow unlimited storage of data in the local storage space. Trying to do so is bad design -- it's not what that space is for.

As an aside, I doubt it's actually in need of "decryption" -- it's likely just stored as-is or maybe stream-compressed at the most. But it sounds cool to use while the user has to wait for the move of data from the browser profile to an actually chose file location.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-05-20, 10:55

I expect that their required download program to be infested with ads, which is probably why the whole circus works this way.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-05-20, 13:46

I had been using it a year or so ago and it worked fine - zero ads.