Change icon for Pale Moon Portable?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Brian

Change icon for Pale Moon Portable?

Unread post by Brian » 2018-05-18, 23:19

I run PM and PMP at the same time. Is it possible to change the icon of PMP? I've tried but have been unsuccessful. I'm referring to the one that shows in Win7's taskbar, though I can't even get the shortcut icon to switch.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Change icon for Pale Moon Portable?

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-05-19, 00:13

This is what I use "Customize Titlebar 0.5".
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -titlebar/

After installing in the options select the "Custom format" clear everything from the text box and type in "Portable". (or anything you want)
If you want to show the version click the options to the right and select "Firefox version".
This changes the titlebar and the icon text in windows taskbar.
My portablle reads "Portable 27.9.2" in the taskbar but has the PM Icon,
Last edited by billmcct on 2018-05-19, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-05-19, 04:39

Thanks a lot but I only want to change the icon.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-05-19, 11:44

You can use this extension as an example and replace the icon with the one that suits you best.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-05-19, 12:57

Did you try the instructions from here?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5124&p=31734&hilit ... ico#p31704

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-05-21, 17:08

FYI, the shortcut icon did change (but not the taskbar's). I guess it needed a reboot.
JustOff wrote:You can use this extension as an example and replace the icon with the one that suits you best.
When I change main-window.ico to my 32x32 image, PMP reverts back to the default icon.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-05-21, 17:09

Cassette wrote:Did you try the instructions from here?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5124&p=31734&hilit ... ico#p31704
No because my PMP doesn't have a Bin\palemoon\browser\chrome folder that I can find. I figured it had changed in 4 years since that was posted.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-05-21, 17:55

Brian wrote:When I change main-window.ico to my 32x32 image, PMP reverts back to the default icon.
Obviously you have to use the proper image.
my PMP doesn't have a Bin\palemoon\browser\chrome folder that I can find.
Then just create it. This method is even simpler than using extension, I just forgot about it.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-05-21, 18:22

JustOff wrote:
Brian wrote:When I change main-window.ico to my 32x32 image, PMP reverts back to the default icon.
Obviously you have to use the proper image.
Which would that be? You didn't give any instructions so I updated the only two images I could find in all folders of your extension.
my PMP doesn't have a Bin\palemoon\browser\chrome folder that I can find.
Then just create it. This method is even simpler than using extension, I just forgot about it.
I didn't know you could just create folders and it would recognize it. But I tried. Still shows default image.
Last edited by Brian on 2018-05-21, 20:51, edited 2 times in total.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-05-25, 19:25

Sometimes I have trouble getting FossaMail to take an icon change, but it seems to be caused by the Windows icon cache. If you close the application, clear the cache, then reopen Pale Moon, that may get the icon change to show up. You can open a command prompt to do that, but I just made a text file with the commands and saved it as a .bat file.

Code: Select all

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
attrib –h IconCache.db
del IconCache.db
start explorer
You will probably lose a few icons from your taskbar that will come back if you log off then back on or restart Windows.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-05-29, 20:21

Cassette wrote:Sometimes I have trouble getting FossaMail to take an icon change, but it seems to be caused by the Windows icon cache. If you close the application, clear the cache, then reopen Pale Moon, that may get the icon change to show up. You can open a command prompt to do that, but I just made a text file with the commands and saved it as a .bat file.

Code: Select all

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
attrib –h IconCache.db
del IconCache.db
start explorer
You will probably lose a few icons from your taskbar that will come back if you log off then back on or restart Windows.
The problem is I don't know how to change it to begin with. I can change the shortcut's. I assume I need to change the exe's to get it to show up in the taskbar. i don't see a way to do that.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-05-30, 01:31

You don't need to change any exe's. You just create the folders under your Pale Moon programs folder as the instructions indicate and put the two .ico files in there that you want to change the icon to. Restart Pale Moon and see if they take. If not, try the icon cache clearing that I suggested and restart again. I've set up custom icons this way with installed and portable Pale Moon.