Pale Moon is slow despite good PC specs ... Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Omnimaxus

Pale Moon is slow despite good PC specs ...

Unread post by Omnimaxus » 2018-05-13, 00:15

Hi to everyone. Glad to be here. I have been using Pale Moon for a week now, and am (mostly) happy with it. But I don't understand why the browser is slow sometimes. By "slow," I mean that it renders pages slowly at times, and on occasion, gets stuck for a few seconds or as many as 15 or 30 seconds, even. And I have pretty decent PC specs. I have an Intel 2600K CPU, 8 GB of RAM, a SSD as my primary drive, and a Radeon RX 480 (which is a good video card, too; with the latest "stable" drivers installed). I am on Windows 7 64-bit "Home" edition (and this is a relatively fresh install, too). I have tested other browsers, too, like Chrome, Firefox, Vivaldi, Slimjet, etc., etc., and they performed very well. I love the customizability of Pale Moon and its interface. It is what Firefox should be, but isn't (unfortunately). So, what gives? Is this a Pale Moon limitation, or am I missing something here? Will version 28 improve rendering (and general browser) speeds? Thanks in advance.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon is slow despite good PC specs ...

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-13, 00:51

In my default linux distro, I use 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce and when I'm using my backup operating system, I use 32 bit windows Pale Moon 27.9.1 running in 64 bit Windows 7, SP1.

I'm using an 8 year old desktop tower computer to type this post with, which has an i7 processor on the motherboard running at a speed of 2.80, 16 GB of memory, an old Nvidia Geforce GT 220 graphics card with two, 1 TB, 7200 rpm platter type Western Digital hard drives. Pale Moon is not slow on this desktop tower computer or any of my other three computers and they also run a linux distro and a Windows 7 operating system.

There are no freezes and Pale Moon, whether I'm using linux or windows Pale Moon opens websites quickly for me, in less than 5 seconds. So my guess is, since you didn't state what extensions you're using or any other settings related to privacy, to paraphrase from your own words: "Yes, you're missing something".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-13, 08:58

Can you provide example URLs of pages that cause this delay for you?
Also, please include standard support information (see the stickies in this board)
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-05-13, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Omnimaxus

Unread post by Omnimaxus » 2018-05-13, 11:56

First, thanks to Night Wing and Moonchild for responding (side note to Moonchild: Great work with Pale Moon!). Second, to answer Night Wing, no, I do not have any extensions; however, I do use AdGuard Pro to block advertisements. (URL: https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html.) I use the Windows installer. I do not think this affects the performance of Pale Moon in any way whatsoever. If anything, it is supposed to help webpages load faster. And for privacy settings, I made a few adjustments using the options in Pale Moon (e.g., erasing the cookies after each session). Nothing drastic. Third, re: Moonchild's questions, one example URL would be http://news.google.com. Pale Moon renders this OK, but there is always a noticeable pause in rendering the page (e.g., the image placeholders are visible for a full 2 - 3 seconds; this is not what happens in other browsers, including even Internet Explorer 11 - the rendering is instantaneous). And as for additional information, see below:

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Edition (64-bit)
Browser version: 27.9.1 (latest version as of today)
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64-bit
Problem URL: news.google.com (already given)
Theme: Default
Installed extensions: N/A
Installed plugins: VLC and Silverlight. That's it.

Also, sometimes when I open new tabs, the opening of new tabs "chokes" a bit briefly. Otherwise, the tabs open smoothly. Hope this helps. Thanks!
Last edited by Omnimaxus on 2018-05-13, 11:58, edited 2 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-13, 13:47

@ Omnimaxus

Thanks for providing the links. Much appreciated.

Concerning Adguard Pro. Firefox and Pale Moon are two different browsers. Pale Moon is a fork of Firefox. In other words, what works in Firefox now is not guaranteed to work in Pale Moon. I sniffed around on the AdGuard site and according to the link below:

https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html#products

It says, unless I'm reading it wrong, AdGuard Pro "is" an extension so you are using an extension, a third party one to be exact and I'm guessing it is not really compatible with Pale Moon. It says and I've copied and pasted what AdGuard Pro's requirements are from the link above:
AdGuard Browser extension

AdGuard offers great solutions for ad blocking in the most popular browsers — Chrome, Edge, Safari, Mozilla FF, and Opera. AdGuard browser extensions can be used on various platforms: Windows, Mac, GNU/Linux, and Android.
No where above does it state it will work in Pale Moon. When I want to block ads on sites, I use Adblock Latitude 5.0.1 which is designed to work with Pale Moon. The link to it is below:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/adblock-latitude/

That are other ablockers which work with Pale Moon and I'm sure some other people will eventually chime in and tell you what they use.

As for Google News, I clicked on your link and the page rendered properly with "no" noticeable pause. It rendered for me in less than 2 seconds of time. Right now, I'm guessing AdGuard might be causing the problem with Pale Moon.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-05-13, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-05-13, 14:33

Omnimaxus wrote:one example URL would be http://news.google.com. Pale Moon renders this OK, but there is always a noticeable pause in rendering the page (e.g., the image placeholders are visible for a full 2 - 3 seconds; this is not what happens in other browsers, including even Internet Explorer 11 - the rendering is instantaneous).
Regarding that specific site, I'm on news.google.com on a daily basis with PM 27.9.1 on both Linux and Windows 7, and I have not experienced the image loading delay that you are describing.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-05-13, 15:50

Google News works ok here too, with no pauses. If using any, check with your security software too. It might be interfering and slowing Pale Moon down as a result.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-05-13, 15:51, edited 2 times in total.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-05-13, 16:48

Sorry , for me the Adguard link is loaded faster than in firefox and no problems with the second link.
PM 27.9.1/Win10/64
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Omnimaxus

Unread post by Omnimaxus » 2018-05-13, 18:41

Thanks to all for their responses. I will break down my replies here ... A) AdGuard Pro is not exactly an "extension" per se. It is an installable program that filters network traffic for advertisements, and blocks them. B) AdGuard Pro actually does list Pale Moon by default in the list of the supported browsers (I can see Pale Moon listed in the program itself; trust me on this). Just FYI ... C) To be clear: I tried Pale Moon with and without AdGuard Pro. There was no discernible difference. The end result was the same (e.g., clunky loading of pages, and so on). D) AdGuard Pro does not affect performance in other browsers. Again, it is supposed to help pages load faster. Same thing as what other adblockers do. And lastly, E) I use Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 7. Nothing special. Hope this helps!

Omnimaxus

Unread post by Omnimaxus » 2018-05-13, 18:46

I am also following up here with a cropped screenshot to show everyone exactly what I am seeing for 2 - 3 seconds at times with different websites. See attached. This is from Google News. Thanks!
Attachments
aaaaaa.jpg

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-13, 20:25

@ Omnimaxus

Have you tried Pale Moon with a completely new profile with no addons or any type of customization?

Omnimaxus

Unread post by Omnimaxus » 2018-05-14, 01:07

See attached. This is what I saw for 2 - 3 seconds every time I started Pale Moon after a total reset (following Moonchild's instructions elsewhere on these forums on how to start fresh with Pale Moon). New profile, etc. Same result. This makes me wonder if the rendering engine needs further optimization for version 28. I don't know. I'm not the developer, nor do I speak for those who help out with Pale Moon. Thoughts? Thanks! :-)
Attachments
aaa.jpg
Last edited by Omnimaxus on 2018-05-14, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

Omnimaxus

Unread post by Omnimaxus » 2018-05-14, 01:16

Also, one more thing. Happened to notice this earlier. Go here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/. The SDN logo is displayed correctly in Internet Explorer 11 at the top, but is not visible in Pale Moon.

allll
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by allll » 2018-05-14, 01:56

Night Wing wrote:No where above does it state it will work in Pale Moon.
just to point out that AdGuard AdBlocker (Legacy) is still updating and working in Pale Moon.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-14, 02:39

I've been testing this issue running the latest PM (32-bits), on Windows 7 SP1 with 4gb of RAM, and this delay seems to apply to images mostly (they load after 2-3 seconds). You can see this effect in sites with a lot of images (just try any link in the default start.me page, like AliExpress and TripAdvisor) that haven't been visited before (because of image caching). Note I have half as much RAM as Omnimaxus, though.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2018-05-14, 06:49

Could it be wifi speeds, drooping in and out? Assuming you are using a laptop?
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2018-05-14, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Omnimaxus

Unread post by Omnimaxus » 2018-05-14, 22:51

Not using a laptop. Am using a desktop tower. Hard-wired connection to the cable modem itself. No wifi. I regularly connect at 75 - 100 Mbps.

Anyone else? Or do we need to wait until version 28 for improvements in rendering speed? (Moonchild? Anyone else affiliated with Pale Moon?)

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

KingsRoad

Unread post by KingsRoad » 2018-05-14, 23:38

I'm also having same problem. Also tabs are slow to open. Palemoon seems to have gone slower with this version. :(

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-05-15, 00:34

It something on you end definitely. Because i promote palemoon for low end hardware, 2gb ram is usually top rate pcs (i am now sitting on such pc). I promote as the fastest browser yet have good support of the modern web. So check your overall cpu and memory load, and play with hardware acceleration settings.

Here the good example of the heavy site https://www.aliexpress.com/
It loads reasonably fast on my ancient PC. win8 x32 palemoon 27.9.1

By the way https://forums.studentdoctor.net/ showed me
One more step
Please complete the security check to access forums.studentdoctor.net
Shall not do that, i rather do not use the site.
Last edited by Fedor2 on 2018-05-15, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

KingsRoad

Unread post by KingsRoad » 2018-05-15, 05:43

I'm using windows 7 though