[Solved] Update failure

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Apollo702

[Solved] Update failure

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-17, 06:03

I was eager to do the 15.4 update but it failed twice from the installer( I prefer having setup files in my downloads.) I then clicked on help to check and install it from there. After restarting PM again it still is stuck on 15.3.2. What can be done to fix this?

steviem1

Re: Update failure

Unread post by steviem1 » 2013-01-17, 08:47

I Installed the 15.4 update from the help internal updater with no problems this time, although I've had difficulties in the past and have resorted to using the installer which has always worked for me. Sometimes a firewall or security software can interfere with the updating process I've found so you could try disabling them. Also you could try installing from the help file, but first disable your add-ons, this has also worked for me in the past.
Hope this helps.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-17, 09:07

How exactly did it fail from the installer? Error messages would be helpful, if any.
Also, make sure the installer and/or updater aren't sandboxed when run - they obviously can't do their work if they don't have access to files/registry.

Suggested: disable antivirus and then run the installer "as administrator". Especially if you are on Vista, file rights can be a problem because of overzealous access control in the OS.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-17, 09:50

I was thinking that it might have been those things but I already took all of them into account and already all of them everything except disabling the add-ons. I might experiment with that and see if that solves it. I already knew these steps(And I should have indicated that in my hastily constructed original post) but 99% of the public doesn't. I hope that newbies reading these posts can learn from them. It is how I learned most of these things over the years...

Here is what I can be sure of:

*I did it from the installer and rebooted twice and PM started properly each time- but when I clicked to check on the version it was still 15.3.2. Then I clicked on Help" again and did the silent install and restarted PM(but not the computer.) Again it remained at 15.3.2. Just to be sure I rebooted again and it still didn't take.

*There were no error messages.

*I run 7 and entirely skipped Vista and almost certainly 8 too. Since every other version of Windows is a catastrophe(ME, Vista, 8) I bet 9 is going to be a blockbuster :P

*One of the first things I do on new computers is go and tell the access control to take a chill pill- so that isn't likely.

*The sandbox is off.

*The only security on is Iobit Malware Fighter. Maybe it is the culprit though? I may try experimenting and see. I do not run paid AV suites and I have a number of reasons for that- perhaps to be posted some other time in another thread.

I guess the bottom line is I am posting a bunch of negative evidence which shows what the problem probably isn't- but even that might help narrow it down.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2013-01-17, 10:05

Could well be Iobit, whenever I've tested it, it gets rejected for throwing too many (for my liking) FP's.

Uninstall it, reboot and try again?

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-17, 10:08

Damn damn damn! It was the Iobit Malware Fighter somehow conflicting with it and it was my mistake ruling that out too soon. My mental error was thinking that since it wasn't a suite like the ever-troublesome Norton and it had never done this before it wasn't the problem. I was hasty there.

It did update to 15.4 but my custom toolbars blew up again. I now know exactly which 3 add-ons cause toolbar failures and I think MC and others for helping me learn what was going on there. Fortunately I keep a backup of the rdf file these days because I know that will continue to happen. It sure beats setting things up the slow way. :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-17, 11:05

Apollo702 wrote:The only security on is Iobit Malware Fighter. Maybe it is the culprit though?
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/946533

Looks like it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

poutnikl

Re: [Solved] Update failure

Unread post by poutnikl » 2013-01-17, 13:10

I yesterday tried to update PM under admin account via About menu.
IT tried fast partial updated, but was hanging in eternal animated loop.

What killed and tried again, it complained partial update failed and tried to do full one.
But it failed by exactly the same way.

finally I downloaded installer and updated PM by normal way.
This worked normally, saying it did also some housekeeping.

(Vista64 home Premium SP2 )

poutnikl

Unread post by poutnikl » 2013-01-28, 20:40

Hm this evening I got notification the problem was solved, but during update to PM 15.4.1 I got into exactly the same problems as in my previous post.....

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-28, 20:57

At the end of the download, Pale Moon will do an integrity check of the .mar file - if this is interrupted (e.g. by antivirus software doing a scan and locking access to the patch file) this may hang the updater process. A possible workaround would be to temporarily disable antivirus software when you update the browser with the internal updater.

it should also be noted that Pale Moon's installer and updater may have issues on Vista specifically due to overzealous access control on the file system. The only option in that case would be to always download the installer and update manually with "run as administrator".

poutnikl

Unread post by poutnikl » 2013-01-28, 21:20

Note that I have never had similar problems in updating Firefox this way, so it is strange.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-28, 21:57

Strange maybe, but certainly not something I've ever encountered myself when updating (either with the internal updater or with the installer) on any of the systems and OS-es used for testing. There has to be some fundamental difference with your specific setup that causes this.

poutnikl

Unread post by poutnikl » 2013-01-28, 22:09

I do not object...
Note that with installer it is always OK.

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-30, 19:34

It is interesting. I have had a number of conversations with Iobit and so far the folks I have spoken to don't seem to be all that aware. My faith in them has been seriously shaken. My next experiment is to see why many Windows updates are failing on a number of machines- and if they are behind that then... :sick:

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2013-01-31, 04:03

Overall, I'd suggest steering away from IObit software, as there have been far too many reports of system changes switched by their one click optimizers not being reverted, the same for services, up to the point where registry and data corruption occurs and with enough cases of BSODs that suggest IObit might not have their act together. Just a friendly advice...
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-02-01, 05:02

tribaljet wrote:Overall, I'd suggest steering away from IObit software, as there have been far too many reports of system changes switched by their one click optimizers not being reverted, the same for services, up to the point where registry and data corruption occurs and with enough cases of BSODs that suggest IObit might not have their act together. Just a friendly advice...
Actually, I kinda was already there. I do like their defragger, uninstaller and I am decidedly mixed on Advanced System Care. However, the one thing I am avoiding these days is registry cleaning because the risk to reward ratio sucks. The main time I do anything with registries is when uninstalling software I remove the fragments that remain. Other than that I generally pass.

The other thing that really puts me off are Iobit's sales tactics. I do believe in sometimes paying for software upgrades and their prices are pretty reasonable. However, when you run their free software (especially ASC) it will say things like "Oh no! This is so scary! You still have 19482 problems! Buy the paid version to take care of them!" Really? :crazy:

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2013-02-01, 05:07

I hear you :) I've seen registry cleaners not only not do as advertised, namely performing lighter passes, as well as some that are extremely aggressive and break things on a 4:1 ratio. Cleaning up leftovers is very much recommended, and things like the registry have improved a lot over the years, making many tweaks floating the web not only unnecessary but also dangerous.

About IObit, I stand by what I said. Not only are there better (and free) alternatives to their software offerings but paid alternatives surpass it further.
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-02-01, 09:20

I should add that I have been going back and forth with them in a series of emails and they are asking the most basic questions and often times asking things which I already have told them. Yep, that sure gets my confidence in them up! :thumbup:

I have found that as my knowledge of tech grows I don't bother calling or contacting customer service except to report outages or bugs. I find myself knowing more than they do, busting them in lies or walking them through things. Before it went to hell in a handbasket my ISP used to have the best service and techs and the last couple of times I even bothered calling I was the one holding their hand and explaining things...

This is a disturbingly common problem in the industry. It reminds me of a scene in an old Dirty Harry movie. Hijackers had taken over a plane at the airport. He goes and talks to security there and he goes in faking to be the pilot. He starts the plane but clearly does not know what he is doing. Eventually the other pilots look at him and one says "Excuse me, I don't want to be rude, but can you fly?" He says he can't, slams on the breaks, beats up on hijacker, gets his gun and shoots the rest. When I have talked to some reps in some well known tech institutions I was like the co-pilot. Sometimes they knew so little I just flat out asked them if they had ever operated a computer before...