Lost My Favorite Tweak After Updating --> Maximizing Tab Text Display

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Lost My Favorite Tweak After Updating --> Maximizing Tab Text Display

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-05-06, 04:00

Hi All, this was one of my favorite tweaks. With lots of tabs open, it really maximized the text displaying on each tab by removing the close tab "X" until the cursor would hover over it.

Updating to more recent versions of PM, I've lost this feature. The "X" still remains absent as before, however the space it takes up no longer minimizes itself, allowing more text to display.

Can anyone help? (I've tried tinkering to no avail.) - thanks.

Old thread with userchrome mod:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5081&p=31440#p31440

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Lost My Favorite Tweak After Updating --> Maximizing Tab Text Display

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-05-06, 07:25

Open the about:config page, search for browser.tabs.closeButtons, and set its value to 2. It should do the trick.
(Or you can install Tab Mix Plus which has an option for it.)

Edit: Oh, I see in the other thread that you want to remove the "…" too… This doesn’t do it.
Last edited by tooshorttoolong on 2018-05-06, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-05-06, 09:34

This tweak retained the close button functionality, which remains my goal. However, thank you.

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-05-07, 04:50

For those who keep multiple tabs open, this tweak has been really excellent. Along with the ellipsis removed, it drastically increases visible text on each tab. The userchrome below is still largely working, except the close button, upon hiding, no longer allows additional text to display.

When working, the close button is hidden except when mouse cursor hovers over its location, and the entire tab can display text. It has been very useful.

CODE:
.tabbrowser-tab .tab-close-button * {
display:none ;
}

.tabbrowser-tab:hover .tab-close-button * {
display:inline ;
}

.tabbrowser-tab .tab-text-stack {
margin-right: -20px;
}

.tabbrowser-tab:hover .tab-text-stack {
margin-right: 0px;
}

Separate mod to remove ellipses:
1. enter "about:config" in the Firefox adress field
2. then filter for "ellipsis"
3. doubleclick "intl.ellipsis", in the popup box remove "..." and enter " " (a space).
4. restart Firefox

Sample without ellipsis removed (when they are removed, even more text can display):
tweak.jpg
Last edited by kla87 on 2018-05-07, 05:04, edited 6 times in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-05-07, 20:23

Why does it not work to replace the ellipsis with nothing? It works only if you substitute a space.

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-05-08, 03:31

Goodydino wrote:Why does it not work to replace the ellipsis with nothing? It works only if you substitute a space.
Has that been your experience? What about it didn't work?

On my end (even with the space in the ellipsis mod), the extended text no longer displays even when the close button is hidden.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-08, 15:31

kla87 wrote:
Goodydino wrote:Why does it not work to replace the ellipsis with nothing? It works only if you substitute a space.
[...] What about it didn't work?

I think this is what was meant by "not work" --
If you delete the string value of intl.ellipsis and leave it empty, rather than replace it with a "space", the " ... " still displays in the tab label to indicate overflow.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-08, 15:33

kla87 wrote:Updating to more recent versions of PM, I've lost this feature. The "X" still remains absent as before, however the space it takes up no longer minimizes itself, allowing more text to display.

What version of PM did you update from? When did this start?

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe it's connected to this (Issue #1556).
Since release of PM 27.7 last January, border widths have been calculated differently - it's resulted in borders overall being a little wider.

If that's the cause, probably there's a way to adjust for it in your userChrome tweak.

I don't know how to do it myself, but maybe others will have some ideas.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-08, 17:38

This add-on hides the close button until you hover over the tab (and uses that space for tab text in the meantime) : Prevent Tab Overflow. Works with current version of PM. Also, it reduces width of the Pale Moon button and has three options to set minimum width for tabs.

Edit: Firefox implemented a fadeout instead of ellipsis in FF 53: Firefox 53: Tab title improvement - gHacks Tech News but since that was made in Australis, I don't know if it's possible to make it work for PM.
Last edited by BlueOwl on 2018-05-08, 20:12, edited 3 times in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-05-08, 18:42

If I change that settiing to substitute nothing for the ellipsis, the ellipsis does not disappear from the tabs. If I replace it with a space, then a space (taking less room) replaces the ellipsis.

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-05-11, 04:19

BlueOwl wrote:This add-on hides the close button until you hover over the tab (and uses that space for tab text in the meantime) :
Thanks Owl, but I'm not getting results with that addon. The text is not expanding, and also the tab width options are not optimal for me and are in fact counterproductive in displaying more text.
Last edited by kla87 on 2018-05-11, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-05-11, 04:22

coffeebreak wrote: What version of PM did you update from? When did this start?

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe it's connected to this (Issue #1556).
Since release of PM 27.7 last January, border widths have been calculated differently - it's resulted in borders overall being a little wider.

If that's the cause, probably there's a way to adjust for it in your userChrome tweak.

I don't know how to do it myself, but maybe others will have some ideas.
Thanks for your post. It was indeed an update from a 26.x to post 27.7 iteration. I get the sense a small userChrome tweak would bring this back given what you've posted. Again to reiterate, that has been a very useful mod so I'm hoping others who may want to take advantage of it might be helpful in a solution.
Last edited by kla87 on 2018-05-11, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-11, 04:33

kla87 wrote:I'm not getting results with that addon. The text is not expanding, and also the tab width options are not optimal for me and are in fact counterproductive in displaying more text.
I've installed it again and noticed that it hides the close button for the current tab, and hides the close button for all tabs when you fill up the tab strip while getting closer to overflow (at 8 tabs for me). The tab width option may not be what you're looking for, but I just thought I'd mention it in case someone else found it useful.

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-05-23, 05:11

I'm just surprised no one seems interested. Comparing side-by-side, this tweak makes tab titles so much more visible. It's pretty impressive.