Captchas hell

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Captchas hell

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-09-09, 11:01

Moonchild wrote:
cegoj wrote:I hate recaptcha v2. It's simply not solveable under a minimum of one or even two minutes. It only makes me angry to click senseless on traffic signs or shop fronts. What a waste of time each time you get a captcha challenge. This way surfing is no fun. I've really started to look for alternative web sites to get my info and thus changed my browsing habits. Some web sites are now losing traffic from me.
You should let those websites know that you're leaving and why.

The only real way to combat this biased madness is to have webmasters wake up to the terrible paces they are putting their visitors through with reCAPTCHA, enough to make them stop returning, so they might actually look for alternatives. If enough people follow up on that it will raise red flags at Google and -maybe- they'll do something about it.
I have started taking matters into my own hands. This is a response I sent to a famous appliance store in Chicago, IL I was using Pale Moon 27 something at the time and couldn't get in since Fall of 2017. I have had a website account with them since 2005 and have bought things like High End TV's, etc. and was in the market for a new dishwasher.

They use the reCAPTCHA w/pictures but w/o the box to click on " I am Not a Robot":

"Good Morning,

First, I really appreciate you taking the time to investigate my problem (including watching the videos).

I don't use VPN, so that is not where my problem is.

After investigating more, I realize that my problems lie w/Google (I DO NOT Consider them my Friends!!) Also, I block all 3rd Party cookies, and use extreme security apps including Hitman Pro Alert and others like Win Patrol.

Your suggestion (which your Customer Service suggested, also) to use Chrome and have a gmail account is just not going to happen.

Long ago, I was the Google Queen (had Gmail open all the time and "googled" everything). Since then, I have learned that Google does not have my best interests at heart when it comes to privacy so they have limited access to my computer. I now use a search engine called Startpage.

https://www.startpage.com/eng/protect-privacy.html

Pale Moon Forum has a topic called "Captchas hell" that you might be interested in:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19044

The responses in that thread by Moonchild (founder of Pale Moon) are most informative. BTW, many people around the internet are looking for ways to bypass this reCaptchas hell. My feeling is they WILL find a way!

Until then, I won't visit your site which makes me sad.

But, I do appreciate your trying to help.

Thanks,"

Basically their response was "so what?". So, I bought a $800.00 dishwasher from another website and have kissed this one GOODBYE!!

PS I have upgraded to Pale Moon 28.01 and still can't pass their reCAPTCHA test.

Walmart started the same thing for their website. I called them and explained how much I spend on the site and how much money they stood to lose and now I don't get it any more. So, sometimes it does pay off to complain and I will continue to do so when I need to.

Cjay26
Last edited by Cjay26 on 2018-09-09, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

HyacinthBucket

Unread post by HyacinthBucket » 2018-09-10, 21:50

coffeebreak wrote:
HyacinthBucket wrote:So I tried just entering my user email and clicking the "Forgot my password" link and was able to bypass the reCaptcha completely by using the password recovery and changing my PW.

That's an interesting strategy. Thank you for sharing it.

A question ...
Since you're using PM 27.*, did you try the solution posted here by @roytam1?
Does it help?
Thanks for the suggestion. I read the post but as I said, I'm a non-tech old lady (remember, my generation grew up in a world where the height of luxury was getting a car with an AM-FM radio) whose brain goes into deep freeze mode when I see phrases like "add new Boolean value". :crazy: No access to any techie kids or grandkids either, so if I can find a simple workaround for a problem, I'm much more comfortable going that way. That's why I emphasised that my solution might have limited application, but at least now I can read the NOT FAILING (!) NY Times using Pale Moon which is more than I could before. Maybe if I have a chance to do a bit more studying I'll give that solution a try, if I haven't been forced to pop for a new, and hopefully cheap, computer by then.

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2018-09-10, 22:10

HyacinthBucket wrote:
coffeebreak wrote:
HyacinthBucket wrote:So I tried just entering my user email and clicking the "Forgot my password" link and was able to bypass the reCaptcha completely by using the password recovery and changing my PW.

A question ...
Does it help?
Thanks for the suggestion. I read the post but as I said, I'm a non-tech old lady (remember, my generation grew up in a world where the height of luxury was getting a car with an AM-FM radio) whose brain goes into deep freeze mode when I see phrases like "add new Boolean value". :crazy: No access to any techie kids or grandkids either, so if I can find a simple workaround for a problem, I'm much more comfortable going that way. That's why I emphasised that my solution might have limited application, but at least now I can read the NOT FAILING (!) NY Times using Pale Moon which is more than I could before. Maybe if I have a chance to do a bit more studying I'll give that solution a try, if I haven't been forced to pop for a new, and hopefully cheap, computer by then.
See if this helps..

Open a new tab in Pale Moon. On the address line type: about:config (then press enter).
Right-click anywhere in the long list below which are hidden options.
Select "New > Boolean".
You should get a box that says "Enter the preference name".
On the line type: dom.messageChannel.enabled
Click okay.
It will open a new box that says to enter the boolean value.
Click True and then Okay.

Boolean is computer speak for something that is either True or False.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-09-11, 06:01

Cjay26 wrote: I have started taking matters into my own hands. This is a response I sent to a famous appliance store in Chicago, IL I was using Pale Moon 27 something at the time and couldn't get in since Fall of 2017. I have had a website account with them since 2005 and have bought things like High End TV's, etc. and was in the market for a new dishwasher.
During the forth quarter of 2017, makes one of my horns sound, the forth quarter of 2017, seemed starkly familiar, regarding the anti-internet-bot-stuff! And their suggestion to use Chrome and have an account of a system owned by Google, starkly reminds me of the mid-2000s, when we were pretty much told to use Internet Explorer, or get lost! That was during the period, when there was no sign of Internet Explorer 7 on the horizon!

HyacinthBucket

Unread post by HyacinthBucket » 2018-09-12, 20:23

DoctorM wrote:
HyacinthBucket wrote:
coffeebreak wrote:

A question ...
Does it help?
See if this helps..

Open a new tab in Pale Moon. On the address line type: about:config (then press enter).
Right-click anywhere in the long list below which are hidden options.
Select "New > Boolean".
You should get a box that says "Enter the preference name".
On the line type: dom.messageChannel.enabled
Click okay.
It will open a new box that says to enter the boolean value.
Click True and then Okay.

Boolean is computer speak for something that is either True or False.
Thank you SO much, it worked! I really appreciate the explanation. Now if the teeny tiny pictures weren't so damned blurry it would be even better, but from reading the posts here at least I know that's ReCaptcha's screw-up and not my eyes. Not much that can be done about either one but at least I can get into those sites again. :thumbup:

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-09-15, 05:36

My latest work around this "CAPTCHA" crap. I have seen the messages on all browsers. I actually got logged onto one of my daily sites, to take care of business whilce using Pale Moon, latest version 28 in Linux Mint.
Firefox, still takes anywhere from 3-10 attempts. I have noticed the images getting trickier, i.e. unpredictable from buses-crosswalks-bikes-buses, fast switched which is slightly different.
I have had to lower my standards by using Chromium browser, in order to access my sites I use frequently that have made the concious decision to make it a standard by using CAPTCHA for everyone who logs in. It serves no purpose in most people's opinion especially the webmaster's and/or maintainers I conversed with.
On Chromium, aka Google Chrome, it becomes almost instantly accessible when I leave the tracking and history w/o deleting in when I close out this browser. Unfortunately, that is the only alternative quick fix that saves me time wasted.
I do use my VPN service almost all the time, which I do think contributes to more of the incidents, due to not being able to identify my location or IP address. Blatantly obvious on sites that won't even let you login using VPN.
Life goes on down that road. Last thought: bad enough with all Google's ad crap flashing in the middle of pages only to waste more of our time by hijacking the very sites that cost me and I'm sure others time and money. So much for all their lies.
Dustie_Rose

Kalico

Unread post by Kalico » 2018-09-17, 11:33

I've been tearing my hair out trying to access Linkedin and getting stopped at the Captcha. It worked fine in FireFox, just not Palemoon 27.6.2.

This solution of adding "dom.messageChannel.enabled" has worked a treat. Thank you so much.

Now, if I just knew how to get the latest PM28.x version of Palemoon, when using Ubuntu 28.04, I would feel fully up-to-date.

askgj

Unread post by askgj » 2018-11-15, 21:20

This worked for me in the google user agent
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0

It skipped the recapcha completely & signed me into my account.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-11-15, 21:25

askgj wrote:This worked for me in the google user agent

How do you apply this to get it to work?

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-11-15, 21:33

askgj wrote:This worked for me in the google user agent

Will this work on Linux?
How do you apply it?

complutense

Unread post by complutense » 2018-11-23, 18:39

You can specify a replacement userAgent string that PaleMoon will pretend to be for a single website (url).

If the url address line, enter

Code: Select all

about:config
and accept the warning

Right-click in the lower panel, and create a "new string"

Enter this as the name:

general.useragent.override.google.com
(replacing google.com by whatever server you want to visit with that userAgent)

Enter this as the value:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0 (Pale Moon)
(or whatever is the userAgent of the current Firefox for your system)

Most sites are checking the "Firefox" string and the version following it. It does not work for all, however, but for many sites it does.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2018-11-24, 01:13

Generally, it's a good idea to also change the version for "rv"; looks more authentic that way.
Off-topic:
I'm totally disgusted with all this browser version checking that sites are doing to try to help me. I had to resort to using Edge after trying iE which now is considered out of date. Edge is worse than Fx/Australis.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2018-11-27, 18:24

dom.messageChannel.enabled was working for months, today it wont work again.
1 thing after another
ImageImage

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-11-27, 23:17

cartel wrote:dom.messageChannel.enabled was working for months, today it wont work again.

Just tried on two test sites - reCAPTCHA worked fine there with PM 27.9.4 using that setting (W7 x86).

https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/demo

https://patrickhlauke.github.io/recaptcha

Perhaps you're blocking scripts from google.com or gstatic.com ... ?

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2018-11-29, 11:47

thanks for the links.
They work but CL doesn't.
Must be CL

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/bfs/d/ ... 76509.html

I see these warnings:

Timestamp: 11/29/2018 3:46:18 AM
Warning: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create
Source File: https://www.gstatic.com/recaptcha/api2/v1542004393985/recaptcha__en.js
Line: 4

Timestamp: 11/29/2018 3:46:18 AM
Warning: Content Security Policy: Couldn't parse invalid host 'strict-dynamic'
ImageImage

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-11-29, 12:57

cartel wrote:thanks for the links.
They work but CL doesn't.
Must be CL

Are you referring to Craigslist's "reply button" mostly not working (i.e. failing the invisible reCAPTCHA) in PM 27.* ?

To my knowledge, that's not the kind of situation that setting addresses.
See the discussion on pg. 5, starting here.

The setting ( dom.messageChannel.enabled = true ) merely makes the reCAPTCHA boxes clickable for PM 27, so that the user can attempt to solve it. It doesn't make reCAPTCHA easier to solve, nor have anything at all to do with the invisible variant AFAIK.

The Craigslist "reply button" works totally fine with PM 28. Why not use it?

From the page you linked, using PM 28.2.1:
CL-reply.png

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2018-12-05, 13:17

Yes but I'm having issues with PM28 that 27 doesn't have.
the dom setting did fix the captcha issue on CL, its the only reason I used it.
ImageImage