Question about bookmarks

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
LesF323

Question about bookmarks

Unread post by LesF323 » 2018-04-23, 19:33

I use Pale Moon as my primary browser, with Firefox as a backup (latest versions of both for Win 7 Pro).
In order to maintain the same bookmark set on both browsers, I exported my Pale Moon bookmarks to an HTML file, then imported that file into Firefox. Both browsers now show the same bookmarks.
Out of curiosity, I then exported the Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file, and compared the size of both HTML files. I was surprised to find that the Firefox bookmark file was much larger than the Pale Moon bookmark file (1.69 MB for Firefox vs. 996 KB for the Pale Moon file.
Can anyone explain why the file sizes are so different for the same bookmarks?

LesF323

Re: Question about bookmarks

Unread post by LesF323 » 2018-04-23, 19:40

Correction to the above: Firefox bookmark file is actually 1.92 MB (not 1.69 MB as originally posted).

Sorry about the error.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Question about bookmarks

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-23, 20:38

Firefox probably exports more metadata; maybe includes icons? impossible to tell unless you actually compare both files.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite