Various issues

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
davews
Fanatic
Fanatic

Various issues

Unread post by davews » 2018-04-23, 14:11

Since around the time I upgraded to Windows 10 1709 I have had a few issues with PM, none of them 'terminal' but annoying. Since nobody else has commented on similar issues I assume it is unique to this installation. They all seen related to tab redraw issues. Some are random, others repeatable.

Palemoon 27.9.0 x86, W10 Home x64 v1709. I have tried resetting my profile etc, PM x64 once, and earlier versions of PM. Nothing changes.

A couple of repeatable ones:
Go to Google's search results page and click on the 'tools' button. The bar below with 'anytime' and 'all results' dropdowns does not immediately appear but if you switch to a different tab and back again it does.

At https://forums.theregister.co.uk/ go to any article and its comments which has a box in a comment labelled 'click to expand'. https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/ ... ne_supply/ for instance, there are a few such comments there. When you click to expand the text expands to fill the existing box but the box itself only expands to show the full comment text when you move to a different tab and back.

Similar things happen on other sites, like pop-up search boxes not appearing until you do the change tab trick. Most of those are password accessed so I cannot link.

When creating a new tab although it is created properly the tab button doesn't immediately appear. When closing a tab the button similar remains ghosted out. Not consistent, looks like a screen refresh issue.

And strangest of all, when using 'downloads window' extension after each download instead of getting a popup saying the download is complete I get a big oblong white box in the bottom right hand corner.

I don't expect you will be able to tell me what is going on and it would not surprise me if you cannot see any of them. And yes, everything is fine in Firefox...

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Various issues

Unread post by paulri » 2018-04-23, 14:36

Sorry, WFM here. When I do a google search, I can see both of those options, and the drop down menu for each option, without having to move back and forth between tabs. Same with creating and deleting new tabs. I couldn't see any box on your news site that said, "Click to Expand." Oh wait, I went to your second link, and saw clickable items that said "Expand Comment." Same thing--worked for me each time I clicked, instantaneously.

I'll let forum gurus here say what they think might be wrong here, but I don't think this is a PM issue--but that's JMO of course.

EDIT: running PM 27.9.1a1 64 bit, on W10, fully updated
Last edited by paulri on 2018-04-23, 14:54, edited 2 times in total.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-23, 14:49

I use 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.0 runnning in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce and 32 bit windows Pale Moon 27.9.0 running in 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium (dual boot) in this desktop tower computer.

Following your directions for Google search after typing in "toy bulldog" and getting the search results page, after clicking on the Tools button, it immediately produced the Any time and All results. Even clicking on these two buttons gives me drop down windows in both buttons. After opening a new tab and then going back to the first tab, the Any time and All results button were still there.

Clicked on your links to the Register and again everything works like it should. Where there is a long comment, if I click to expand, the full comment is displayed in the now enlarged window.

Two different operating systems, linux and windows, two different bits of Pale Moon, 64 and 32. Everything works. The only difference between you and me, you use 64 bit Windows 10, v1709.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-23, 15:44

davews wrote:
.... A couple of repeatable ones:
Go to Google's search results page and click on the 'tools' button. The bar below with 'anytime' and 'all results' dropdowns does not immediately appear but if you switch to a different tab and back again it does.

At https://forums.theregister.co.uk/ go to any article and its comments which has a box in a comment labelled 'click to expand'. https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/ ... ne_supply/ for instance, there are a few such comments there. When you click to expand the text expands to fill the existing box but the box itself only expands to show the full comment text when you move to a different tab and back.....

Similar things happen on other sites, like pop-up search boxes not appearing until you do the change tab trick. Most of those are password accessed so I cannot link.

When creating a new tab although it is created properly the tab button doesn't immediately appear. When closing a tab the button similar remains ghosted out. Not consistent, looks like a screen refresh issue.

And strangest of all, when using 'downloads window' extension after each download instead of getting a popup saying the download is complete I get a big oblong white box in the bottom right hand corner.

I don't expect you will be able to tell me what is going on and it would not surprise me if you cannot see any of them. And yes, everything is fine in Firefox...
Trying Google search -- as long as the search load is complete the "Tools" button reliably and virtually immediately drops down what is to be expected. It will not if the search load is progressing and I notice that the search will often appear to recycle -- sort of like a second pass during which time the "Tools' button will not respond. But as long as the search is totally complete the "Tools" button works as expected in my case.

Testing the comments in the website provided I do not see "click to expand" but rather the following as illustrated in the screen-shots below (either "Expand Comment" or "Minimize Comment"). Each comment expands and minimizes (retracts) quickly and as expected --- so either part of the comment is visible or the entire comment is fully visible depending upon whether the comment has been expanded or minimized.
Expand comment.png
minimize comment result.png
Regarding tabs -- browser tabs appear as expected - immediately appearing when a new tab is opened as has always been the case. When closing a tab it disappears quickly and tabs get expanded across the spectrum for all tabs quickly as expected as well.

I haven't noticed anything different about down-loads but don't do many so this is the best of my recollection.

I'm using Pale Moon 27.9.0 32-bit on Windows 7.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

davews
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by davews » 2018-04-23, 15:54

Thanks, much as I expected, it works fine for everybody else.... This is the problem with Windows - it may well be a Windows 1709 issue together with something else on my machine. Whatever, these problems only happen with PM (of various versions, everything fine before 1709 was forced on me), everything works fine in Firefox and no related problems with any other program. With nothing to go on I am a bit stuck.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-23, 16:49

It could be something else besides Windows 10, 1709. Maybe an addon or maybe something in your profile. I only use two addons. They Adblock Latitude 5.0.1 and the old NoSquint (2.1.9.1).

If you transferred over a profile from Firefox to Pale Moon. This will cause issues since Pale Moon is now a fork of Firefox.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-04-23, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-23, 22:52

davews wrote:Thanks, much as I expected, it works fine for everybody else.... This is the problem with Windows - it may well be a Windows 1709 issue together with something else on my machine. Whatever, these problems only happen with PM (of various versions, everything fine before 1709 was forced on me), everything works fine in Firefox and no related problems with any other program. With nothing to go on I am a bit stuck.
This is interesting -- someone else is having odd issues that nobody else seems to be having so far with the Home Depot Search on two of the users computers and the only thing in common between the two computers is that they both are using Windows 10 Pro.

I do not use Windows 10 (highly prefer Windows 7 over 10) so don't know much about Windows 10 --- but looking into this it appears the "1709" upgrade has had issues, as exemplified by doing a "windows update 1709 problems" search -- which makes you wonder if the two topics are possibly connected to this update...

Only problem with blaming Windows 10 is that I just noticed paulri (2nd post in topic) is running Windows 10 "fully updated" and has reported not having these issues. :eh:

---- oh wait --- paulri is running PM 27.9.1a1 64 bit!! Hmmm.... :think:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-24, 04:31, edited 4 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

trencat

Unread post by trencat » 2018-04-24, 09:06

About switching tabs. Some connection with my problem with PM - Unable to load pages if not unique tab?

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2018-04-24, 17:04

I've had 1709 installed for 14 days now. No problems. Yes, I'm running the alpha here--I won't post my reason (I was mistaken in my assumptions so I'd rather not plant a false idea), but I'll get off the alpha soon.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2018-04-25, 18:44

FWIW, I just installed 27.9.0 and everything worked just the same as it did with the alpha version I used earlier. And again, I do have Win 10 pro, 1709 on this laptop for 2 weeks now.
Paul

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-25, 19:19

paulri wrote:FWIW, I just installed 27.9.0 and everything worked just the same as it did with the alpha version I used earlier. And again, I do have Win 10 pro, 1709 on this laptop for 2 weeks now.
Thanks for checking on that -- that is helpful info to know. :thumbup: (that removes the PM version as a possible solution for the other Home Depot topic)

davews
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by davews » 2018-08-17, 10:25

For information, after upgrading to v28 (as upgrade) all my issues seem to have sorted themselves. Early days but so far v28 looks good.