anyone else have issues with Google search in PM?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

anyone else have issues with Google search in PM?

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-22, 05:50

When I open google.ca (or .com) I get the search page but no curser on the search bar. When I click on the google search bar I can not type anything. Other search engines work, other web sites work, this only is an issue with Google. And only in PM, I tried Google in SlimJet, and it worked good, I could type my search, but not in PM. I have added no addones. Anyone else having issues with Google?

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: anyone else have issues with Google search in PM?

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-04-22, 06:25

None here in 27.8 or 27.9 on Windows.

Do you have other apps running that may be disabling the mouse or keyboard?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-22, 10:15

No problems with Google search for me either using (google.com). I always have a blinking cursor in the search bar.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce. The only addons I have enabled are Adblock Latitude 5.0.1 and the old NoSquint (2.1.9.1).
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-04-22, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-04-22, 11:12

Working fine here.

Win 8.1 (x64)
PM 27.9.0 (x64)

Add-ons: (Active)

ABL
Disconnect
Greedy Cache
I Don't Care About Cookies
Self-Destructing Cookies

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-22, 12:41

Don't use Google search myself -- but I'm having no problems with the search page using Pale Moon 27.9.0 32-bit on Windows 7.

Did you change the default Pale Moon general.useragent.override.google.com UA Override pref setting?
... which I'm using and is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.9.0.

You may not have added any extensions -- but perhaps an extension has updated that may be interfering -- with that in mind, have you tried testing the page using Safe Mode? (go to Pale Moon "Help">"Restart in Safe Mode...", then select "continue in Safe Mode" when the prompt displays. Note: When you exit the browser in "Safe Mode" you will return to "normal" mode the very next time you use the browser so don't be concerned with trying this test. ;))

Have you tried rebooting your computer as well?

Btw, I'm not finding any recent search results on the problem specific to the Google Search page doing a Google Search for "cursor missing in google search bar" (most recent issue noted around late last year involving FF57).
URL search link: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei=uYPcWpOqGsWatgXb74rACg&q=cursor+missing+in+google+search+bar&oq=cursor+missing+in+google+search+bar&gs_l=psy-ab.3...12318.26414.0.27307.57.40.6.2.2.0.501.7291.2-22j4j0j1.27.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..23.32.7230...0j0i67k1j0i20i264k1j0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.yART6b84lDo.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-22, 14:10, edited 6 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-22, 13:16

Thanks for reply. I have no new apps, its not keyboard or mouse, like I said, other places work fine, just google. And only with PM, not other browsers. Yes I have all the newest updates. Yes I rebooted computer! I may have to uninstall PM, and reinstall it, see if that helps. Grrrrr!

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-22, 13:26

Before going to the trouble of a re-install -- why not test in Safe Mode first?

... and if no help there --- try a clean Profile.... :think:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-22, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-22, 13:39

Right, thank you. How do I do the "safe mode" again?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-22, 13:42

faithbuilders wrote:Right, thank you. How do I do the "safe mode" again?
take a look at my 2nd post above explaining how.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-22, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-22, 14:23

Oops sorry missed that line. :oops: Thanks

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-22, 15:51

faithbuilders wrote:Oops sorry missed that line. :oops: Thanks
It occurs to me that you may not be understanding what the purpose is to do a website test in Safe Mode (that is, since you're apparently not very familiar with using Safe Mode and you have not replied for some time now and because testing the webpage in Safe Mode just takes a few seconds, this conclusion has crossed my mind -- forgive me if I'm wrong about this).

So to clarify; doing this test in Safe Mode is not a "solution" to be used for whenever you use Google Search but is a temporary "test" to see if the page that otherwise has a problem does work in Safe Mode. If the results are that the page works in Safe Mode then this suggests that an add-on is perhaps interfering in some way which you would need to then address.

If this is the case (the Google Search page works using Pale Moon in Safe Mode) then I would suggest that you post your add-ons to help go over what might be problematic.

You can post all of your extensions easily here in this topic by doing the following steps:
1) Type "about:support" (w/out the quotes) in your browser address bar
2) Click on the "Copy text to clipboard" button
3) Do a right-click and "Paste" into you next reply in this topic (you can optionally remove the non-extension information if you want).
4) Be sure to select all of what you pasted (drag mouse over entire pasted info) and then click on the "hide" button before submitting your reply.

FYI: you might notice there is a "Restart in Safe Mode" button in the box to the right of the "about:support" page where you can start a "Safe Mode" test this way as well. ;)

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-22, 17:43

Thanks for explaining it (in plane english) I do know what the purpose is, I do the same to diagnose windows issues. But it was still helpful.

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-22, 17:50

Application Basics
------------------

Name: Pale Moon
Version: 27.9.0
Build ID: 20180412055517
Update Channel: release
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.9.0
Multiprocess Windows: 0/1 (default: false)
Safe Mode: false

Extensions
----------

Name: adaware ad block
Version: 1.5.2.0
Enabled: true
ID: AdBlockerLavaSoftFF@lavasoft.com

Name: Downloads Window
Version: 0.6.5
ID: {a7213cf2-fa1e-4373-88ff-255d0abd3020}

Name: KillJasmin
Version: 2.4.1-signed.1-signed
ID: killjasmin@pierros14.com

Name: Menu Wizard
Version: 5.10
ID: s3menu@wizard

Name: Popup Blocker Ultimate
Version: 8.1
ID: {60B7679C-BED9-11E5-998D-8526BB8E7F8B}

Name: QuickNote
Version: 0.7.6
ID: {C0CB8BA3-6C1B-47e8-A6AB-1FAB889562D9}

Name: Responsible Blocker
Version: 4.2
ID: {88A0C50A-E61B-11E5-9673-8908BC8E7F8B}

Name: Restart
Version: 3.0.2
ID: Restart@schuzak.jp

Name: Show - Hide Bookmarks ToolBar
Version: 1.1.1-signed.1-signed
ID: showhidebookmarksbar@landisreed.com

Name: SkipScreen
Version: 0.7.2.1-signed.1-signed
ID: SkipScreen@SkipScreen

Name: Speed Start
Version: 2.1.0
ID: SStart@Off.JustOff

Name: Tab Mix Plus
Version: 0.5.0.4
ID: {dc572301-7619-498c-a57d-39143191b318}

Name: Adblock Latitude
Version: 5.0.1
Enabled: false
ID: adblocklatitude@addons.palemoon.org

Name: uBlock Origin
Version: 1.14.18
Enabled: false
ID: uBlock0@raymondhill.net

Graphics
--------

Adapter Description: ATI Radeon 2100 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Adapter Drivers: atiumdag atiumdva atitmmxx
Adapter RAM: Unknown
Device ID: 0x796e
Direct2D Enabled: Blocked for your graphics driver version. Try updating your graphics driver to version 9.6 or newer.
DirectWrite Enabled: false (6.1.7600.16763)
Driver Date: 4-24-2009
Driver Version: 8.56.1.15
GPU #2 Active: false
GPU Accelerated Windows: 1/1 Direct3D 11 WARP (OMTC)
Subsys ID: 00000000
Vendor ID: 0x1002
WebGL Renderer: Blocked for your graphics driver version. Try updating your graphics driver to version 9.6 or newer.
windowLayerManagerRemote: true
AzureCanvasBackend: skia
AzureContentBackend: cairo
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend: cairo
AzureSkiaAccelerated: 0

Important Modified Preferences
------------------------------

accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar: 0
browser.cache.disk.capacity: 358400
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run: false
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.use_old_max: false
browser.download.folderList: 2
browser.download.importedFromSqlite: true
browser.download.manager.showAlertOnComplete: false
browser.newtab.url: chrome://sstart/content/sstart.html
browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion: 4
browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash: false
browser.startup.homepage: chrome://sstart/content/sstart.html
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID: 20180412055517
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone: 3.4.2
browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab: false
browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground: true
browser.tabs.onTop: true
browser.tabs.selectOwnerOnClose: false
browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled: false
browser.urlbar.suggest.bookmark: false
browser.urlbar.suggest.history: false
browser.urlbar.suggest.openpage: false
dom.disable_open_during_load: false
dom.disable_window_status_change: true
dom.ipc.plugins.flash.disable-protected-mode: true
extensions.lastAppVersion: 27.9.0
font.internaluseonly.changed: false
image.http.accept: image/webp,image/jxr,image/png,image/*;q=0.8,*/*;q=0.5
javascript.options.showInConsole: false
network.cookie.prefsMigrated: true
network.http.speculative-parallel-limit: 0
network.stricttransportsecurity.enabled: false
places.database.lastMaintenance: 1524028956
places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages: 50293
plugin.importedState: true
plugin.state.java: 2
plugin.state.npwlpg: 0
privacy.cpd.cookies: false
privacy.cpd.extensions-tabmix: true
privacy.cpd.offlineApps: true
privacy.cpd.sessions: false
privacy.donottrackheader.enabled: true
privacy.donottrackheader.value: 1
privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs: true
privacy.sanitize.timeSpan: 0
security.default_personal_cert: Select Automatically
security.disable_button.openCertManager: false
storage.vacuum.last.index: 1
storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite: 1524028956

Important Locked Preferences
----------------------------

Places Database
---------------

JavaScript
----------

Incremental GC: true

Accessibility
-------------

Activated: false
Prevent Accessibility: 1

Library Versions
----------------

NSPR
Expected minimum version: 4.16
Version in use: 4.16

NSS
Expected minimum version: 3.32.1
Version in use: 3.32.1

NSSSMIME

NSSSSL

NSSUTIL

Experimental Features
---------------------

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-22, 19:23

So since you have posted your add-ons then based on my previous comment:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:If this is the case (the Google Search page works using Pale Moon in Safe Mode) then I would suggest that you post your add-ons to help go over what might be problematic.
.... I'm assuming that the Google Search Page did work okay (no cursor problem) when you were in "Safe Mode".

Looking at your add-ons nothing stands out a whole lot to me, if you are using CSS code in the killjasmin extension I might consider starting there and from that point I would say that the multiple add-blockers ("adaware ad block" and "Responsible Blocker" etc) may be of some concern regarding potential compatibility issues (also noted a number of "bug" fixes with "adaware ad block" subsequent to the Pale Moon compatible version you're using :eh:) so perhaps is a good place to continue disabling your add-ons one at a time until you find which add-on is the offender. You have a few add-ons that are potentially suspicious -- so there's no easy way, it's just a matter of stepping through disabling each individual add-on and be sure as you disable each add-on one at a time that you test the Google Search page each time to determine at what point the Google Search page works (since it does work in "Safe Mode"). Once you get the Google Search page to work then be sure and start enabling each add-on you had disabled one at a time to make sure that as you enable each one the Google Search page continues to work okay to eliminate the possibility of compatibility issues that may also be present between one or more extensions.

Good luck! ;)

FWIW; I noticed that it appears you may need to look into updating a couple of graphics drivers.... :think:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-22, 19:32, edited 2 times in total.

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-22, 19:48

Pale Moon Rising wrote:So since you have posted your add-ons then based on my previous comment:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:If this is the case (the Google Search page works using Pale Moon in Safe Mode) then I would suggest that you post your add-ons to help go over what might be problematic.
.... I'm assuming that the Google Search Page did work okay (no cursor problem) when you were in "Safe Mode".
Yes it worked in "safe mode"
FWIW; I noticed that it appears you may need to look into updating a couple of graphics drivers.... :think:
Yes I know I need to update graphics drivers - working on that, apparently I need a new graphics card altogether.

I will try what you suggest, just strange that it would act up now, all those addons I've been using for months with no issues, and have added no addons lately.

Thank you for your advice.

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-22, 19:56

Found the culprit, adaware ad block! My question then turns to... why now? I've been using this addon since I've using PM with no issues, so why would it cause that now. I liked adaware-grrrr

**edit** I did not know how many ads and pop-up that "adaware ad block" blocked until I disabled it. Man, I really want that back. Sheeesh!
Last edited by faithbuilders on 2018-04-22, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-22, 20:55

faithbuilders wrote:Found the culprit, adaware ad block! My question then turns to... why now? I've been using this addon since I've using PM with no issues, so why would it cause that now. I liked adaware-grrrr
Well as I previously posted:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:I would say that the multiple add-blockers ("adaware ad block" and "Responsible Blocker" etc) may be of some concern regarding potential compatibility issues (also noted a number of "bug" fixes with "adaware ad block" subsequent to the Pale Moon compatible version you're using :eh:)
... and of course you have recently updated Pale Moon to v27.9.0 (released only 5 days ago) and at the same time this extension has been fixing "bugs" in each of the extensions releases since the 1.5.2.0 version you are currently using which is the last compatible version with Pale Moon all according to the version history. In my opinion this "adaware ad block" extension is trying to do too much which can be covered by a good AV app along with a browser ad-blocker (of which Pale Moon has several -- see Pale Moon extension in next paragraph).

You could try posting the Error Console info ("Web Developer">"Error Console" - clear "Errors" before loading page) when loading the Google Search page and post that information here if you like --- to see if anyone can determine the cause of the compatibility issue. But the fact remains that this issue will not be addressed by Pale Moon anyway because it is apparently an issue with the add-on and not Pale Moon!! These problems arise when using older (compatible) add-ons.... There are other compatible Pale Moon extensions you can use -- which is always a better approach ;).

You could also try changing your Pale Moon "Compatibility" mode to see if anyone of the modes will work better with the Google Search page in tandem with using the "adaware ad block" extension (go to "Preferences">"Advanced">"General" tab to find this at the bottom of the interface in the "Compatibility" section (I'm currently using "Native" mode) -- you could try all three modes to see if this makes a difference.

You could also try updating the UA Override pref for Google.com to say: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon). That is modify the default general.useragent.override.google.com to the pref above to see if this makes a difference (probably not)..... (you would do this by typing "about:config" in the address bar and right-clicking on the UA Override pref posted in the previous sentence and selecting "Modify" from the right-click context menu and entering the value string (copy/paste from from 1st sentence) to the subsequent prompt to enter the value posted in the first sentence -- then test the webpage.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-22, 21:05

faithbuilders wrote:... **edit** I did not know how many ads and pop-up that "adaware ad block" blocked until I disabled it. Man, I really want that back. Sheeesh!
There are many excellent ad-blockers you can use -- check out the Pale Moon Extension linked in the previous post for any number of PM extensions for this. You will notice there are a number to choose from, in no particular order, such as ABPrime, uBlock Origin or Adblock Latitude among others (read about them and choose for your self -- each has it's own unique advantages). Also Pale Moon has it's own pop-up blocker at the top of "Preference">"Content" -- do you have the option "Block pop-up windows" checked (enabled)?

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-22, 21:31

Pale Moon Rising wrote: Also Pale Moon has it's own pop-up blocker at the top of "Preference">"Content" -- do you have the option "Block pop-up windows" checked (enabled)?
Thanks again for all your help. Yes I have pale moons popup blocker turned on, and I have tried all the other ad-blockers that work with PM (non work as good as, or block as many as "adaware ad block"

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-04-22, 21:41

Is there an extension that blocks ads that are not in popup windows, such as the ads provided by Google, etc?

Also, need an add-on that prevents auto-play of all video, not just YouTube like YouTube Lazy Load
Last edited by Pelican on 2018-04-22, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.