anyone else have issues with Google search in PM?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: anyone else have issues with Google search in PM?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-04-22, 22:17

Off-topic:
WilliamK wrote:Is there an extension that blocks ads that are not in popup windows, such as the ads provided by Google, etc?

Also, need an add-on that prevents auto-play of all video, not just YouTube like YouTube Lazy Load
If you want to pursue those questions, you should probably start a couple of new threads.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-22, 22:32

faithbuilders wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote: Also Pale Moon has it's own pop-up blocker at the top of "Preference">"Content" -- do you have the option "Block pop-up windows" checked (enabled)?
Thanks again for all your help. Yes I have pale moons popup blocker turned on, and I have tried all the other ad-blockers that work with PM (non work as good as, or block as many as "adaware ad block"
Hmm, to block ads in Pale Moon I use uBlock Origin and don't seem to have any problems with ads that I've noticed.... I also don't even need to use the Pale Moon "Block pop-up windows" option either and have not noticed any issues with pop-ups either.... (keep in mind there are a large number of ad-block 3rd-party subscription filters available in each of the Pale Moon ad-block extensions -- which is something you should check out perhaps :idea:)

Oh well... have you tried each of the "Compatibility" mode settings in Pale Moon and/or changed the UA Override pref for Google.com as I had suggested in my previous post to see if any of this might help with the Google Search page problem while using the "adaware ad block" extension?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-22, 23:08, edited 3 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-22, 23:19

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Hmm, to block ads in Pale Moon I use uBlock Origin and don't seem to have any problems with ads that I've noticed.... I also don't even need to use the Pale Moon "Block pop-up windows" option either and have not noticed any issues with pop-ups either.... (keep in mind there are a large number of ad-block 3rd-party subscription filters available in each of the Pale Moon ad-block extensions -- which is something you should check out perhaps :idea:)
Perhaps I should try again, its been some time since I tried uBlock there are probably updates by now.
Oh well... have you tried each of the "Compatibility" mode settings in Pale Moon and/or changed the UA Override pref for Google.com as I had suggested in my previous post to see if any of this might help with the Google Search page problem while using the "adaware ad block" extension?
I am not sure how to go about changing the "Compatibility" mode settings, or anything with the UA Override ???

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-04-23, 02:09

it's not adaware's fault in this case, as my xulBlock Advanced is also giving me the same issue. haven't messed around with filters to find the culprit yet though, will update if I determine the cause

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-04-23, 02:13

well that was easy, i disabled EasyList and it works, reenabled it and now it still works fine

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-23, 02:16

fillerup wrote:well that was easy, i disabled EasyList and it works, reenabled it and now it still works fine
EasyList may have updated which possibly fixed the problem. :idea:
Off-topic:
Incidentally on this point: I'm finding that I cannot get Fox.com videos to play w/out disabling EasyList among other things --- and according to Github others do not have the problem at all (and I've updated EasyList over and over hoping I would get the same results as everyone else :D)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-23, 03:09, edited 2 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-04-23, 02:18

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
fillerup wrote:well that was easy, i disabled EasyList and it works, reenabled it and now it still works fine
EasyList may have updated which possibly fixed the problem. :idea:
well, i upgraded all filters before disabling it and nothing changed :?:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-23, 02:53

faithbuilders wrote: Perhaps I should try again, its been some time since I tried uBlock there are probably updates by now.
... it's actually uBlock Origin -- there is a difference you know --- since there is also a uBlock on AMO which is very different from the uBlock Origin extension I am talking about that is on the Pale Moon extension website list. ;) EDIT I am mistaken regarding what I've struck-out: actually you need to get the add-on from Github which is what I've been linking all along... With that said an important FYI on this point, refer to this post on how to install this extension: How to install uBlock Origin in Pale Moon 27 -- also it's worth noting -- to be able to get the updates to uBlock Origin on Pale Moon you should add this extension: uBlock Origin Updater -- sorry for the confusion. :oops:
faithbuilders wrote:I am not sure how to go about changing the "Compatibility" mode settings, or anything with the UA Override ???
I explained all of this in my post on the previous page:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:.... You could try posting the Error Console info ("Web Developer">"Error Console" - clear "Errors" before loading page) when loading the Google Search page and post that information here if you like --- to see if anyone can determine the cause of the compatibility issue. But the fact remains that this issue will not be addressed by Pale Moon anyway because it is apparently an issue with the add-on and not Pale Moon!! These problems arise when using older (compatible) add-ons.... There are other compatible Pale Moon extensions you can use -- which is always a better approach ;).

You could also try changing your Pale Moon "Compatibility" mode to see if anyone of the modes will work better with the Google Search page in tandem with using the "adaware ad block" extension (go to "Preferences">"Advanced">"General" tab to find this at the bottom of the interface in the "Compatibility" section (I'm currently using "Native" mode) -- you could try all three modes to see if this makes a difference.

You could also try updating the UA Override pref for Google.com to say: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon). That is modify the default general.useragent.override.google.com to the pref above to see if this makes a difference (probably not)..... (you would do this by typing "about:config" in the address bar and right-clicking on the UA Override pref posted in the previous sentence and selecting "Modify" from the right-click context menu and entering the value string (copy/paste from from 1st sentence) to the subsequent prompt to enter the value posted in the first sentence -- then test the webpage.
Is there any part of what I posted that you do not understand?

The first two points seem to be clear enough (again to clarify, the "Compatibility" mode for the Pale Moon Useragent settings is found by going to Pale Moon "Preferences" then selecting "Advanced" at the top of the interface and then selecting "General" tab just as I had previously explained where you will find the settings discussed at the bottom in the "Compatibility" section of the interface. You can select either "Native" or "Gecko Compatibility" or "Firefox Compatibility" -- try the two you had not been previously using to test the Google Search page with --- Okay perhaps regarding the third point; I can elaborate a bit (changing the UA Override default for "google.com"), see steps to take below to do this:

Steps to change the default UA Override for the google.com website - Note: to make it easier - copy/paste the pref string value into the string value prompt you will get (the value in blue below);):
1) So first to make it easier -- copy the value in blue below be selecting everything between the quotes (do not include quotes in your copy) and right clicking on the selected text and click on "Copy" fro the right-click context menu.
2) Then as I said before; Type "about:config" (without quotes) into the Pale Moon browser URL address bar and press return.
3) Press the "I promise to be careful!" Button to access Preferences.
4) Find the UA Override pref by entering in the search bar at the top of "about:config" interface interface window "override.google.com" w/out quotes -- you will then see just one pref setting listed.
5) Right-Click on that pref setting and then from the context menu select "Modify" - you will then get a prompt to enter a string value (representing the UA Override).
6) Try entering (paste what you copied) "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon)" (without quotes) as the "String value" (Modified String value) -- (to paste press CTRL+V at the same time -- this will paste the value you copied into the prompt ;).
7) Press "OK"
Again make note that if you copy this: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon) then you can paste (CTRL+V or right-click if you prefer and then select "Paste") when you get the prompt in step 6 (which is much easier than typing using keystrokes to enter the value of course).

Test the site. This is a long-shot as it probably won't help, but you never know.... it's perhaps worth a try since you do like the "adaware ad block" extension so much... ;) FYI -- to elaborate a bit more on this process --- you can try various string values for this pref i.e. perhaps trying a IE11 UA Override might sometimes surprisingly make a difference in some cases which would be in this case "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko" (without quotes) as the "String Value"..... it all comes down to how much you want to play around with the UA Override for a specific website to see if doing so might end up making a difference....

BTW: keep in mind that you can reset the UA Override for google.com back to the Pale Moon default value by getting to step 5 above and instead of selecting "Modify" you can simply select "Reset" from the right-click context menu which will then reset the value back to the former default value that it was initially.

Hope this helps.... :wave:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-23, 04:11, edited 5 times in total.

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-04-25, 16:10

Thank you for all your help, I disabled adaware, installed uBlock Origin, that did not block near the amount that adaware blocked. So I reinabled adaware for normal browsing, and just disabled it when I use Google. After some time, I forgot to disable Adaware when I used Google, and found that it was working ??? So now it seems to be working fine, with adaware turned on, go figger... :wtf: