LAST UPDATE VS FIREFOX VS TRACKERS

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
STEIG

LAST UPDATE VS FIREFOX VS TRACKERS

Unread post by STEIG » 2018-04-21, 15:43

I am a long time, devoted, quiet, Pale Moon person. The last update killed my ability to get on the internet at all and access to Pale Moon was destroyed. All I got was a blank white screen. In desperation, I downloaded Mozilla Firefox. OMG. What a nightmare. I had been away from Google-controlled platforms for so long that I am still in shock. It is like being re-exposed to the surveillance state. NASTY.

Before posting this, I went and tried ONE last time (after MANY repeated failures) to get Pale Moon back. It worked! But I had never seen the "StartTime" screen with all of the connections to the surveillance state. This whole experience... wow. I always thought Pale Moon would help me stay away from all of that. I guess I'll have to invest in the whole VPN routine.

I'll stick around with my StartPage SE, but the most important thing for me is Anti-Tracking add-ons. If they aren't going to pay me, I don't want them watching me. Firefox took the CCleaner tracking count down from 2,000+ to the 15 - 20's... but Google-controlled Firefox still couldn't block it all.

What say you Moonchild? Can we get rid of these trackers. Donation on the way.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: LAST UPDATE VS FIREFOX VS TRACKERS

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-21, 18:39

"Surveillance state"? Oh, please... :roll:

If you don't like the start portal, then feel free to set a different page as your start page. But please, do not blow your top over having this user-requested configurable start page because of some misconception of this partnership with start.me or misinterpretation of the technical implementation of that portal as trackers. Yes, there are affiliated links on start.me, and yes, it has a display ad (if you don't pay them for their service which isn't free for them to run). Yes, the partnership helps Pale Moon as well with a modest amount each month because it's a mutually beneficial arrangement. But in no way are you forced to use it if you don't like it.

It's your browser, you can configure it your way. You don't like the defaults that a majority asked for? That's fine. Use something else. Donations to compensate for the lack of revenue is appreciated, so thank you.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-04-21, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

testator777

Unread post by testator777 » 2018-04-21, 20:21

STEIG wrote:Before posting this, I went and tried ONE last time (after MANY repeated failures) to get Pale Moon back. It worked! But I had never seen the "StartTime" screen with all of the connections to the surveillance state. This whole experience... wow. I always thought Pale Moon would help me stay away from all of that. I guess I'll have to invest in the whole VPN routine.
Why are you still using startpage at all? If you had bothered to use something similar to netstat instead of a addon to check what is pinged you would have seen all the ip adresses startpage pinged out to about the time that palemoon switched to it by default. Just change your homepage in tools-->preferences-->general-->homepage to about:home or something else then startpage. Then enjoy the lack of tracking the palemoon browser has. The browser is not the same as the homepage. Take for example firefox. Even if you change all the defaults it pings out to random servers just like chrome does.
Moonchild wrote:It's your browser, you can configure it your way. You don't like the defaults that a majority asked for? That's fine. Use something else.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-22, 02:33

I happen to be a start.me user and while it does have its issues since the last upgrade unfortunately (which I've been informed will not be addressed until the next upgrade this Fall) I have to say that it is by far the best start-page available specific to my needs.

With that in mind, I also use ABPrime for the two "Disable Malware" and "Easy Privacy" 3rd-party filters (the 2nd of which blocks trackers). I do this because of how ABPrime is designed as referenced below (excerpt from the ABPrime link):
ABPrime being a normal Toolkit/Overlay extensions means that unlike many Bootstrapped extensions it will load everything, including the filters, at application startup. This will have the cost of increased startup time depending on your selected filter lists. Though, this has the added benefit of ensuring that blocking is complete ready to go and active before the initial window spawns or any pages are loaded.
Because of this I use what I consider the more critical filters in ABPrime and therefore benefit from the added security of doing so....

To limit any page load delay there might be (which does not amount to much anyway) I use uBlock Origin for the remainder of my 3rd-party subscription filters that I feel I need (incidentally this add-on apparently blocks any start-page ads as I've never at any time seen any myself up until I took advantage of a very low-cost life-time Start.me Pro offer sometime ago).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising