Java Error

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sajjan

Java Error

Unread post by Sajjan » 2013-01-14, 22:38

I have PM 15.3.2 Port and I had Sun Java v7u10.
For last two days I was getting Java error while logging on Yahoo Bridge game lounge.
Then I searched Java found they had v7u11 so I downloaded this and installed.
The error is still there.
A screenshot link is attached.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4JxDV3 ... czNTA/edit
Kindly help.
Thank you.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Java Error

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-01-14, 23:57

Seems to be a history of Java problems with Yahoo Games lounges - so much so that Yahoo Games Help has a "Troubleshooting Java Errors for Games in Firefox" page: http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=con ... PROD_GAMES

Not sure how you updated your JRE but always best to remove the old version entirely (Revo Uninstaller followed by JavaRa?) and then do a clean install of the new version . See these recent topics: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 08&p=10836 and http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 86&p=10840

Sajjan

Unread post by Sajjan » 2013-01-15, 01:58

Blacklab wrote:Seems to be a history of Java problems with Yahoo Games lounges - so much so that Yahoo Games Help has a "Troubleshooting Java Errors for Games in Firefox" page: http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=con ... PROD_GAMES

Not sure how you updated your JRE but always best to remove the old version entirely (Revo Uninstaller followed by JavaRa?) and then do a clean install of the new version . See these recent topics: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 08&p=10836 and http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 86&p=10840
Sir,
In response to what you suggested I am state what I did.
1. I have FF 18.0 but I found this error does not appear in FF.
2. I looked into http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=con ... PROD_GAMES as you suggested but I think they suggested same as you did.
3. Therefore I uninstalled Java.
4. Then when I tried to run JavaRa it did not work because it asked for Java version and I had no more Java installed.
5. Then I rebooted and run registry cleaner to remove possible remnants of Java.
6. Then I installed fresh Java v 7u11.
7. After installing I went to PM plugins where I found the following entries, among others :
7a. Java Deployment Toolkit v10.11.2.21 7.0.110.21
7b. Java (TM) Platform SE v7u11.10.11.2.21
8. I checked into FF where these same entries appear.
But this error has not gone.
Thank you.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-01-15, 02:18

With JavaRa (assuming you had latest version 2.0 from Singular Labs?) you can just press "Next" button and move on to "Perform removal routine" stage which runs the programme without needing to have any actual Java installation showing in the box. I have just checked this on machine with no Java installed and it runs correctly and finds nothing! :)

Anyhow it looks as if your clean install has gone correctly if you have the new JRE Plugin showing. You do not need the Java Deployment Toolkit and can disable this.

Regrettably it seems a clean install of JRE isn't going to fix this error - there must be another problem somewhere? :(

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-15, 02:47

Be warned that Yahoo! has a history of promising big and then delivering broken products. Also game sites are notorious offenders. Combine that with Java's(or Flash's) problems and trouble is inevitable. Sometimes the high-tech answer is things are messed up and they wont get any better. There is no final solution and you will just get aggravated as you spin your wheels. Many times the high-tech solution is to listen to the tech genius Kenny Rogers. Know when to hold em and know when to fold em.

I used to play Yahoo! games regularly before they ruined them and then I used to virtually live on Pogo before they ruined it. Neither company can program and neither responds to user concerns. They both use robots as their idea of customer service and you can expect answers that had nothing to do with your problems. Even if you do reach a live tech or supervisor expect them to know less than you do and you will be the one walking them through things.

Let me give you some samples of their idea of tech support or customer service:

You write them: "Hey, this game is buggy and it constantly crashes"
Their response: (either a robot or some flunky using templates) "OK sir, click on Internet Explorer, click on tools, options and clear your cache and your cookies and that will solve your problems."

You write them: "I teach tech and that is bullshit! I don't run Internet Explorer and I want to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about..."
Their response: (either a robot or some flunky using templates) "OK sir, click on Internet Explorer, click on tools, options and clear your cache and your cookies and that will solve your problems."

You write them: "I have an online stalker and this crazy girl/guy..."

The only way to reach management like that often times is to quit in droves and they either get it together or they go bankrupt. :wave:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-15, 09:51

Apollo702 wrote:Sometimes the high-tech answer is things are messed up and they won't get any better. There is no final solution and you will just get aggravated as you spin your wheels.
Great way to put it! I'll have to remember that one.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2013-01-16, 13:25

Blacklab wrote:With JavaRa (assuming you had latest version 2.0 from Singular Labs?) you can just press "Next" button and move on to "Perform removal routine" stage which runs the programme without needing to have any actual Java installation showing in the box. I have just checked this on machine with no Java installed and it runs correctly and finds nothing! :)
(
That does not prove JavaRa would correctly detect and remove old remnants had they existed after removing the latest version.

RevoUninstaller PRO costs money but is intended to give superior cleansing w.r.t. the Free version if an installation had been TRACKED.
This implies that the Free version is inferior and may fail to detect remnants that JAVA chooses to leave installed,
and JAVA is quite happy to leave older installer packages wasting space on the HDD

JAVARA is dedicated to JAVA cleaning and was initially specifically designed to know and eradicate all older installer packages of JAVA,
and it targets not only files but registry keys.
I think it unlikely that Revo could ever do a better job than JAVARA on its own,
but do not know if the design specification for JAVARA included a requirement to purge remnants from a system that does not have JAVA installed.

NB - incase a link is useful
http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2013-02-07, 01:23

Sajjan wrote:The error is still there. A screenshot link is attached.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4JxDV3 ... czNTA/edit
That security warning dialogue is not an error.

Sajjan

Unread post by Sajjan » 2013-02-11, 23:27

dallas7 wrote:That security warning dialogue is not an error.
Your comment is right but I face different problem.
Every time I start PM with one tab for Yahoo Bridge game, this warning dialogue appears. This happens even when there is different tab focused and Yahoo Bridge game tab is not.
This 'Warning' has one tick marking button saying "Do not show this again for this application".
This also has two options : 1.Run 2.Cancel.
I select and tick this "Do not show this again for this application" button every time, yet it refuses to vanish for ever, comes back every time I start PM. Now, if I choose Cancel the site does not start so I have to select Run.
I am at loss to understand a security warning which gets repeated even when has option to disable the display.
What I am more interested in is that some expert would analyses my problem. If it is PM bug I need a proper link to report. If it is Java problem kindly suggest site of forum where I can report this.
Thank you.

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2013-02-12, 04:12

In reviewing your posts above, I don't see where it is mentioned you might have accessed the security settings in the Java Control Panel...
JavaCPL.jpg
The "Do you want to run this application?" Security Warning is a direct result of Java's default High security setting.

Have you tried the Medium and Low settings?

I am also of the opinion that the persistence of "Do not show this again for this application" is more of an issue with your system's environment and not that of the Java Plugin.

Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sajjan

[Solved] Java Error

Unread post by Sajjan » 2013-02-12, 18:56

dallas7 wrote:In reviewing your posts above, I don't see where it is mentioned you might have accessed the security settings in the Java Control Panel...
JavaCPL.jpg
The "Do you want to run this application?" Security Warning is a direct result of Java's default High security setting.

Have you tried the Medium and Low settings?

I am also of the opinion that the persistence of "Do not show this again for this application" is more of an issue with your system's environment and not that of the Java Plugin.

Good luck.
dallas7 Sir.
Finally you hit bulls eye.
It was set at High(Re-commanded). I changed it to Medium and the nag screen now disappeared.
Sir, I have been running from pillar to post to solve this problem but in vain. I tried FF support, Opera support, SeaMonkey support and some Internet Explorer sites. Same as here there were lengthy technical replies but no one cared to understand my problem and give solution. I am a below average computer knowledge person and everything went above my head. Finally, you solved my problem with absolute clarity, easily understandable and no room to goof.
Thank you Sir.
However, now I am driven to two questions.
1. Changing from High(Re-commanded) to Medium, does it expose me to some kind of risk ?
2. Why did that button disabling display of "Do you want to run this application?" nag screen did not work ?
I may say Sir, my problem is solved. Therefore, you may not find it necessary to comment on my above questions Sir.
Last edited by Sajjan on 2013-02-12, 19:04, edited 2 times in total.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-02-13, 00:04

I manage to get by without any Java(JRE) installed these days.... but I think the answer to your Qu 1. is almost certainly Yes....
In Naked Security's [url=http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/12/19/java-7-update-10-introduces-important-new-security-controls/]Java 7 update 10 introduces important new security controls[/url] Chester Wisniewski of SOPHOS wrote:
Java 7u10 also introduces the concept of security levels. The default level is Medium (Note: Update 11 increased the default level to High) which allows untrusted apps to run if your Java is patched, but will only allow signed applications to run if you are out of date.

This is a terrible default. In my opinion you should never run Java applications without notification and certainly should not run unsigned applications.
Even signed applications might not be safe if your Java is vulnerable. Fortunately there is a custom option that allows you to fine tune this behaviour.
Re: Qu 2. In Micheal Horowitz's comments at the end of his article even he seems to be having problems understanding that Security Warning nag screen and exactly what it's checkbox does! (Article contains link to his "Java Tester" site which is a mine of useful Java information - just be aware his "Java Security: A recent history" list has the latest info at bottom of list! Amusing "JavaScript Tester" page displays your current browser's User Agent String!)

Sounds like some rather serious bedtime reading is in order! :lol:

PS. Congratulations to dallas7 for solving this riddle! BZ! 8-)