Palemoon can't get into yahoo mail

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

Palemoon can't get into yahoo mail

Unread post by Lassar » 2018-04-18, 03:44

This problem just started today.

Been trying to get into my yahoo mail using pale moon using a bookmark.

Keep getting redirected to oath.com.

So I decided to try firefox. I can get to my email using firefox.

In pale moon using user agent set as firefox windows.

In Tools,Preference,Advanced,General User Agent Mode is set to Firefox Compatibility.

What can I do to fix this?

troypulk

Re: Palemoon can't get into yahoo mail

Unread post by troypulk » 2018-04-18, 04:13

Same here, out of my 6 browsers Pale Moon is the only one that redirects from https://my.yahoo.com/ to https://www.oath.com/, but in oath.com you can follow the link to get to my.yahoo.

You can get to your e-mail through yahoo.com

It looks like the new company that controls part of yahoo, if you click on "Our Brands" you can get to the other programs like AOL and TechCrunch.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-18, 04:49

I am able to log-in to all 8 of my Yahoo accounts using Pale Moon 27.9.0 on Windows 7.

I am using the Classic interface as I do not like the new Yahoo.

What version of Yahoo are you using?

Using the URL linked above: https://my.yahoo.com/ does not redirect me to anything other than "my Yahoo":
my Yahoo.png
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-18, 04:53, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-18, 05:00

Try using this URL to log-in to Yahoo Email: https://login.yahoo.com/

If that doesn't work then try: https://login.yahoo.com/manage_account?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-04-18, 11:41

Confirmed!
Today was hard for me to login to yahoo mail. What is this shit with oath.com?
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-18, 11:51

I cannot login to my Yahoo email account either. Keeps redirecting to Oath.

As for what Oath is, you people will not like it since Oath will now scan your emails so it can give you targeted advertising.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/14/1723 ... s-scan-ads
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-04-18, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-18, 12:53

After surfing around the internet, since Oath is a subsidiary of Verizon, which bought Yahoo, it looks like Oath will control Yahoo email accounts from now on. In this respect, Oath only wants to support the big browsers such as: Google Chrome, Internet Explorer 11, Firefox, Edge and Safari. Any other browser can't get in to Yahoo email.

It took me a while to get into my Yahoo email account, but I had to use Firefox 52.7.3 ESR to accomplish it. But this won't last. Oath wants me to accept their new user agreement which allows Oath to scan your emails to give you targeted advertising. I clicked on "Not now, later" or something to that effect because I did not accept their terms of service agreement and by doing this, it allowed me to access my Yahoo email account. Since I'm now always logged in to my Yahoo email account, if I delete the cookie and or install a new operating system on a hard drive, I will lose the cookie and I will no longer be able to access my Yahoo email with Firefox ESR browser.

On a sidenote, I could not access my Yahoo email account using SeaMonkey 2.49.2 either.

Eventually, Oath will no longer let me use the "now not, later" prompt with Firefox ESR since Oath will shut that down too. I am not going to let Oath scan my emails no matter what browser I use because Oath's business model is predicated on giving people targeted ads from from scanning their Yahoo emails so my only option is delete my Yahoo email account. I won't miss Yahoo email since it is constantly being hacked by hackers and I don't think Oath can stop that either.

One more thing, scanning one's emails is an invasion of privacy "in my opinion" and since I don't trust Oath, scanning emails to them might be the same thing to Oath as "reading" emails. This is why I will never accept any business model from any company that uses this type of agreement.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Lassar » 2018-04-18, 13:25

Am thinking of getting goodgopher.com email, and
forwarding mail from yahoo email to goodgopher email.

As I get newsletters, I would change the subscription to
the goodgopher email address.

And notify important contacts of the new email address.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-18, 15:26

I'm pretty sure this has been a (probably regional) fuck-up of the oath/Yahoo techies. As a browser we can't really do anything about a server redirecting you to a different domain. That's all on them. Apparently you're supposed to be presented with new terms but.. it might not work right?

More info:

[18:00] <+Gandalfdjh> Why am i being redirected to oath.com when i try to access my yahoo mail? Because you have to agree to the new guideline and TOS to continue using email. Oath is a branch of Verizon which took over Yahoo and created Oath to run AOL and Yahoo.
[18:01] <+Gandalfdjh> https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20180413201922AA5TpeW
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-04-18, 16:06, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-18, 17:25

First try using ONLY the Yahoo "Classic" mode and then try using either https://login.yahoo.com/ or https://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/ in Pale Moon. I have no problem in Pale Moon doing this (not sure if "Classic" mode is required --- but that is the only mode I use with Yahoo --- really do not like the "new" mode). I think if you use the URL that Yahoo gives you to log-in then the problem discussed in this topic will arise.

Please report back your results. ;)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-18, 17:43

@ Pale Moon Rising

I've got Yahoo Basic email and I still cannot login to access my Yahoo email using the two links you provided in either windows or linux Pale Moon. With the two links you provided, I just get a re-direct to that absolutely worthless Oath re-direct.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-18, 17:51

Lassar wrote:Am thinking of getting goodgopher.com email.
I'm going to have to do a little research on Gopher since I can see a login prompt for the Gopher email using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce. The link is below.

https://mail.goodgopher.com/login
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-04-18, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-18, 18:38

I wonder if Yahoo Technical Support Number 1-844-762-3952 would be of any help?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-18, 18:52

I'm wondering if this Yahoo Account Security setting makes a difference which I am using in Classic Mode:
less secure apps.png
less  scure apps p2.png
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-18, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-18, 19:26

@ Pale Moon Rising

The Basic format which I use for my Yahoo email does not have those account settings in the screen shots you provided so I can't get to those.

Edit: I was finally able to get to the settings which were in the screen shots you provided using Firefox ESR. The button to make the changes is sneakily hidden. I made the changes. After deleting all of my yahoo cookies and cache in Pale Moon,then re-starting Pale Moon, I still cannot access my Yahoo email.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-04-18, 19:47, edited 2 times in total.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2018-04-18, 19:32

Night Wing wrote:I still cannot login to access my Yahoo email.
You can still access your yahoo mail just don't go through my.yahoo at yahoo.com there is a e-mail link on the top of the page on the left side.

You can even go through oath.com if you really wanted too.

kduncan5

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2018-04-18, 19:42

I was having the same problem getting into my ATT/Yahoo email using Pale Moon 27.8.3 (Windows 7 64-bit). Called ATT several times, finally got to talk with a supervisor who didn't know a damned thing. I was not even presented with the option to accept oath.com's terms, it just went straight to their homepage. I was finally able to accept terms using IE11, which granted me access to my email (at least for now) using Pale Moon, but now I'm faced with attempting to access privacy options (wherever that might be) to shut some of their shit off. I think it's time to start thinking about changing internet service providers, but it sucks that I could get there using IE but not PM.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-18, 19:49

troypulk wrote:
Night Wing wrote:I still cannot login to access my Yahoo email.
You can still access your yahoo mail just don't go through my.yahoo at yahoo.com there is a e-mail link on the top of the page on the left side.

You can even go through oath.com if you really wanted too.
Tried both of your suggestions and still cannot get to my Yahoo email using Pale Moon.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-04-18, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-18, 19:50

As I understand it Verizon has recently bought Yahoo -- so perhaps Verizon could be of some assistance.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-18, 19:58

I checked out GoodGopher and it looks like it is just for newsletters so it won't work for me.

Then I checked out ProtonMail and it might work. The problem is it deals with encryption since ProtonMail has public and private encryption keys.

I"m still trying to wrap my around around ProtonMail. Theoretically speaking; if I send an email in ProtonMail, which is encrypted, to someone else, say in Hotmail, they wouldn't be able to read my email to them without the public encryption keys since I would have to give them these.

But, if I put the public encryption keys in my signature into the email, someone with a Hotmail address should be read my email since he would be able to see the public encryption keys. Just a guess on my part.