Palemoon can't get into yahoo mail

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Palemoon can't get into yahoo mail

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-18, 21:04

Night Wing wrote:.... if I send an email in ProtonMail, which is encrypted, to someone else, say in Hotmail, they wouldn't be able to read my email to them without the public encryption keys since I would have to give them these.

But, if I put the public encryption keys in my signature into the email, someone with a Hotmail address should be read my email since he would be able to see the public encryption keys. Just a guess on my part.
Off-topic:
I have a Proton Mail account. You can send without an encryption PWD that would be needed and then the recipient can open the message as usual or you can optionally select Encryption (see screen-shot) and you would then add a required PWD for the recipient.
OPTIONALLY ENCRYPT.png
Which would then require:
optionally encrypt 2.png
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-18, 21:12

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
Off-topic:
I have a Proton Mail account. You can send without an encryption PWD that would be needed and then the recipient can open the message as usual or you can optionally select Encryption (see screen-shot) and you would then add a required PWD for the recipient.
Off-topic:
Just the ProtonMail info I have been looking for just in case I have to give up my Yahoo email account by either deleting my Yahoo email account or just never use my Yahoo email account again by just letting it "take up space on Oath's servers".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-18, 21:24

Night Wing wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:
Off-topic:
Off-topic:
Just the ProtonMail info I have been looking for just in case I have to give up my Yahoo email account by either deleting my Yahoo email account or just never use my Yahoo email account again by just letting it "take up space on Oath's servers".
Off-topic:
If your sending an encrypted Proton Mail message then the recipient of the message will see a "View Secure Message" link in the message which if clicked on they will see this to decrypt:
prompt to decrypt.png
the only thing is --- the PWD would have to be prearranged --- the recipient would have to know the PWD unless you wanted to include it in the subject or the Password "Hint" that is included in the encrypted message the recipient gets. -- Oh and what's also nice is that the recipient can reply "securely" without having a Proton Account as well -- so you can get encrypted replies back to non-Proton recipients which is very cool. :thumbup:

If you interested in encrypted email there is also another service that does the same thing:https://tutanota.com/ -- either one works well. (I have an account with Tutanota as well -- what's nice with them is that you have an alternate choice of domain name)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-18, 21:42, edited 2 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

pshipwrite
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by pshipwrite » 2018-04-18, 22:24

Within the last half hour, I received an email from Yahoo in my Yahoo email account. The email discusses Oath's new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy and provides a button to "Review and agree now" to the new TOS and Privacy Policy. Maybe Yahoo is prompting users to review and accept the new TOS via this email and not redirecting them to the Oath website, https://www.oath.com/

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by franstam » 2018-04-19, 00:47

Hey,
i had been fiddling with this issue for few hours overnight and this morning, and with discussion on the #palemoon irc channel folks.

i also keep getting redirected to the main oath.com page, with no term of service or whatever to click, regardless. i tried going through the brands etc, trying to find a link to yahoo that doesnt redirect me straight to oath.com
typing yahoo.com or mail.yahoo.com or my.yahoo.com redirects me
yahoo sports or finance, doesnt.

i did find a workaround to bypass this finally.

if you have multiple accounts on yahoo signed in, go to sports.yahoo.com, click your username on top right, switch to another account, login if required, and click the mail icon on top right, it should let you go to email with no redirects.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-19, 04:13

franstam wrote:if you have multiple accounts on yahoo signed in, go to sports.yahoo.com, click your username on top right, switch to another account, login if required, and click the mail icon on top right, it should let you go to email with no redirects.
First off, I don't have another another email account on Yahoo. Secondly, even though you were able to get to your Yahoo email account with Pale Moon, sooner or later no matter what browser you use, you'll eventually have to accept Oath's terms of service (which allows Oath to scan your emails) in order for you to get into your Yahoo email account (your Inbox). I have a sneaking suspicion if you use an adblocker in Yahoo email, Oath is eventually going to make you disable your adblocker in order for you to read your Yahoo emails. Just a guess on my part, but it is the most logical move which Oath should take.

If you don't mind Oath scanning your emails to give you targeted ads, that's your call. I'm different. I don't give away my privacy for any email account especially for ads, targeted or other wise. I've got an Hotmail email account and I use Adblock Latitude 4.0.1 to block all the ads in my Hotmail email account so I don't see any ads when I'm using Hotmail. And I know this irks Microsoft.

Earlier this morning when I was able to get into my Yahoo email using Firefox ESR, I purposely stayed logged in. This evening, again using Firefox ESR, I went back into my Yahoo email account and "I cleaned house" so to speak. Any email I needed, I sent them to myself at my Hotmail account. Then I deleted every email in my Yahoo Inbox, deleted every email in my Sent folder, then deleted every email in all of my other folders I created in Yahoo email. Then I deleted those folders. The end result. My Yahoo email looks like an empty shell with nothing in it anymore. Basically a blank sheet of white paper for an analogy. I'll instruct all of my email contacts to never send another email to my Yahoo email account.

But I wasn't finished. Then I went into my linux Mint utility program named, "Domain Blocker" and I put Oath's website address in there. This way; no matter if I'm using linux Pale Moon, linux SeaMonkey or linux Firefox ESR, Oath cannot put a cookie on any of my four computers. I can't get to Oath, but Oath can't get to me.

I did the same thing in Windows 7 by placing Oath's website address into my Hosts file. So again, no matter what windows browser I'm using, I can't get to Oath and Oath can't get to me. I did the same thing to Facebook a few years back so Oath will have company in my Domain Blocker and Hosts files in both linux and windows. So if Oath wants to target me with ads, in Yahoo or anywhere else on the web, Oath is...........S O L.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-04-19, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

cdlvcdlv

Unread post by cdlvcdlv » 2018-04-19, 11:32

If I use the general.useragent.override.yahoo.com default Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 (Pale Moon), yahoo shows me the "update your browser" page. If I change the 99.9's to 55.0's then lets me in BUT I only see the last week mail and the settings cog wheel doesn't work. If I use this useragent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/601.7.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.1.2 Safari/601.7.7 I can see older mails and the cog wheel works.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-19, 13:51

cdlvcdlv wrote:If I use the general.useragent.override.yahoo.com default Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 (Pale Moon), yahoo shows me the "update your browser" page. If I change the 99.9's to 55.0's then lets me in BUT I only see the last week mail and the settings cog wheel doesn't work. If I use this useragent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/601.7.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.1.2 Safari/601.7.7 I can see older mails and the cog wheel works.
Welcome to the forum cdlvcdlv,

You are probably using the new version of Yahoo and not the "Classic" version.

You could try switching back to "Classic" mode -- here is a topic on that subject: How do I restore Yahoo! Classic Mail with PM27?.

See if everything works okay. If you want you could "reset" your Useragent Override back to the the default value (right-click on setting and select "Reset"). The "Classic" version of Yahoo works better in Pale Moon and in my opinion looks better anyway....
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-19, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2018-04-19, 19:48

Off-topic:
Night Wing wrote:
Lassar wrote:Am thinking of getting goodgopher.com email.
I'm going to have to do a little research on Gopher since I can see a login prompt for the Gopher email using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce. The link is below.

https://mail.goodgopher.com/login
Off-topic:
You can try this mail service https://www.startmail.com/en/

rlcoone

Unread post by rlcoone » 2018-04-19, 20:12

Thanks franstam! I wasn't getting in no matter what I tried, but sneaking in though sports worked like a charm.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-19, 20:13

troypulk wrote:
Off-topic:
Night Wing wrote:I'm going to have to do a little research on Gopher since I can see a login prompt for the Gopher email using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce. The link is below.

https://mail.goodgopher.com/login
Off-topic:
You can try this mail service https://www.startmail.com/en/
Off-topic:
Thanks for the tip on Start Mail. I'll check it out since I've basically kicked Yahoo email "to the curb" which just leaves me with two email accounts at this time.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-19, 22:59

Off-topic:
StartMail costs $60 per year (after the trial), too much!
startmail.png
Both ProtonMail and Tutanota encrypted mail are TOTALLY FREE!

Or if you really want to pay then there is VFEmail which is a VERY SECURE service (as you can see) with all plans that are cheaper (most plans for far less at $15-$30 per year as well as a one-time $24.95 for life plan (which I have) all for less than the StartMail $60 per year cost or even FastMail has less expensive plans as well.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-20, 01:06

Off-topic:
After checking things out, it looks like ProtonMail is the "leader of the pack" for me to replace Yahoo Mail. Just hope ProtonMail doesn't do anything screwy with user agent sniffing where it will try and block Pale Moon from accessing ProtonMail.

Hawkster

Unread post by Hawkster » 2018-04-20, 06:50

Kept trying to log in to Yahoo mail and kept getting error - something about Pale Moon has established this page will never load - or some such, with button to Try Again since yesterday. Did not have time to mess with it yesterday, so finally tried again and same thing. Had to open FF and found out, that Pale Moon error message is false. The issue is redirecting to accept the new OATH policies. OATH itself is a problem, personally but really is not relevant to issue ... however this should be user decision on whether or not to accept those. In Pale Moon does not allow user to even see such, instead simply giving an error message. Which ended up not even being true, page loads just fine IF using different browser.

I like the principle and for most time using Pale Moon browser, but it just gets so frustrating the 10 - 20% of time of having to run different browser in order for web page to work correctly. Sooner or later will get frustrated enough will simply use different browser that I do not have to resort to using alternate browsers. Especially as Yahoo mail itself has had glitches for awhile. Google maps is another annoying one, not that I like Google, but just too many web pages that use it. This particular instance was hopefully a one time, now that I got past that redirect ... but will I run into this again the next time another service comes out with new policies?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-20, 11:57

Hawkster wrote:I like the principle and for most time using Pale Moon browser, but it just gets so frustrating the 10 - 20% of time of having to run different browser in order for web page to work correctly. Sooner or later will get frustrated enough will simply use different browser that I do not have to resort to using alternate browsers. Especially as Yahoo mail itself has had glitches for awhile. Google maps is another annoying one, not that I like Google, but just too many web pages that use it.
Off-topic:
I use both the Map view and Satellite view in Google Maps extensively. I have had no problems with Google Maps whether I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon or 32 bit windows Pale Moon.

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by franstam » 2018-04-20, 15:24

pshipwrite wrote:Within the last half hour, I received an email from Yahoo in my Yahoo email account. The email discusses Oath's new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy and provides a button to "Review and agree now" to the new TOS and Privacy Policy. Maybe Yahoo is prompting users to review and accept the new TOS via this email and not redirecting them to the Oath website, https://www.oath.com/
for the record, i have 3 yahoo separate email accounts and none of them i have this particular email/notification. weird stuff, seems like yahoo missed out some users

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by franstam » 2018-04-20, 15:29

Night Wing wrote:
First off, I don't have another another email account on Yahoo. Secondly, even though you were able to get to your Yahoo email account with Pale Moon, sooner or later no matter what browser you use, you'll eventually have to accept Oath's terms of service (which allows Oath to scan your emails) in order for you to get into your Yahoo email account (your Inbox). I have a sneaking suspicion if you use an adblocker in Yahoo email, Oath is eventually going to make you disable your adblocker in order for you to read your Yahoo emails. Just a guess on my part, but it is the most logical move which Oath should take.

**snip**
actually, the entire issue was that pale moon wasnt redirecting to the oath terms of service page. its redirecting directly to the oath main page which does users no favors (unable to accept/decline anything since its redirect to the WRONG PAGE)

facepalm yahoo.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-20, 18:08

franstam wrote:actually, the entire issue was that pale moon wasnt redirecting to the oath terms of service page. its redirecting directly to the oath main page which does users no favors (unable to accept/decline anything since its redirect to the WRONG PAGE)
After reading your post, I decided to try to get into my Yahoo Email account using linux Pale Moon. At least this time, I wasn't re-directed to the Oath home main page. You know what they say about, "First Impressions". Yesterday was a fiasco to put it mildly for me and it left a very bitter taste in my mouth for Oath.

After I clicked on, I'll do this later", I was now re-directed to "oath's terms of service page" where I clicked on their Privacy Policy. A lawyer must have written all of those pages because there were a lot of them. Anyhow, I finally got to what I was looking for. Below is a copy and paste I did concerning their "Opt Out". Keep in mind this is just about their advertising.
Your Advertising Choices

Across the web On Yahoo

Control Yahoo ads displayed to you on other sites, widgets, and apps. Opting out disables personalization based on your interests.
You can also opt out of specific interest categories below. If you opt-out of more than seven, though, we will assume you want all interest-based advertising personalization disabled.

You must allow cookies from Yahoo in order to opt out. To make your opt-out apply to every computer you use you must be signed in to your Yahoo account. Learn more.
Cutting through the lawyer speak, you have to "accept Oath's service agreement".........FIRST........which Oath means you "opt in" automatically and then you have to opt out and Oath has the gall to say if you opt out of MORE than "seven" of them, then Oath assumes you don't want advertising. Oath needs to learn that "no" means just that, "NO" instead of applying some capricious number that no doubt was dreamed up by some advertising flunky at Oath to tell Oath, you don't want their advertising, period.

If I cannot opt out of their service agreement first to get to my Yahoo email, then I get highly suspicious of any company which keeps me from getting into what I want which is my email. And it also appears Oath wants to follow you around on the web where Oath hopes you land on one of their other brands so it can snoop on you just like Facebook does. Not for me.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-04-20, 20:27, edited 3 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-20, 18:35

^
Off-topic:
Many thanks Night Wing for digging out the information :thumbup: very helpful and appreciated very much :clap: -- the thing I wonder about is how much better/worse Yahoo is compared to Hotmail and/or Gmail however. My impression would be that Gmail may be worse than either of the other two and perhaps Yahoo is not that much worse than Hotmail in regards to ad targeting... I never take the time to read any of their policies myself so I have to say I really do not know. What I do is block adds and hope this solves the problem for me. I know that uBlock Origin totally blocks all ads in Yahoo Classic and what happens in Hotmail is I get a message in the right-side pane of the interface from Hotmail saying that they notice I'm blocking adds and recommends a pay version not sure about Gmail but the little I have used Gmail I have not noticed ads so it appears that uBlock Origin does a reasonably decent job blocking ads for me. :think:

Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Lassar » 2018-04-20, 18:42

Been experimenting.

Deleted the oath cookies, yahoo cookies, and cleared the cache.

By doing this, I am able to get into yahoo mail.

I am definitely thinking about getting a good gopher mail account,
and forwarding my mail to good gopher.

Then notifying everyone about the new email address.