Palemoon can't get into yahoo mail

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Palemoon can't get into yahoo mail

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-20, 21:32

@ Pale Moon Rising

From my understanding, Google does not scan it's users Gmail emails for advertising purposes. They did at one time, but not anymore.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-r ... ls-privacy

Now, I'm not sure if Google actually "reads" users Gmail emails for other purposes. My wife has a Gmail email account so I'll have to ask her to access her Gmail account on her laptop computer so I can get a glimpse of it.

Like you, I've blocked the ads in my Hotmail email account and like I said in one of my previous posts in this topic thread, I'm pretty sure this irks Microsoft. But I don't think Microsoft wants to put it's foot down with it's Hotmail email users when it comes to serving us ads. I've heard through the "grapevine", when Microsoft bought Hotmail and incorporated it into Outlook.com, there were around 750 "million" Hotmail email accounts. Microsoft tried the gentle persuasion trying to get the Hotmail email users to switch over to Outlook and get an Outlook email address, but that fell on mostly "deaf ears' since many Hotmail users, like you and I, refused Microsoft's offer to switch.

I don't know how many Hotmail users are still out there, but the old adage still applies, "there is strength in numbers". I have a suspicion Microsoft doesn't tell it's advertisers for Hotmail, just how many Hotmail users are blocking the ads the advertising companies put out for Hotmail. Microsoft is just content to take the gullible advertising companies money because it is easy money that just keeps on rolling in for Microsoft like a steady cash cow. I would be curious to know how many Hotmail email users actually bought something by clicking on an ad in Hotmail.

But with Oath taking control over Yahoo's users email accounts, Oath wants to follow Facebook's business model. And I can't stand Facebook's business model with a pink purple passion. :x I created my Yahoo email account in 1999. But, when a company makes me jump through hoops to decline what they want me to accept, I don't mind kicking them to the curb when I get "ticked off" even after 19 years of use. Besides; with all the security breaches Yahoo has suffered through, or should I say it's registered Yahoo users have suffered through, Yahoo is a hacker's "wet dream" because Yahoo is so easy to hack. And after trying to login in to my Yahoo email account using linux Pale Moon and being re-directed to Oath's main webpage, would I trust Oath for email security? :shock: Hell no. :twisted:
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by franstam » 2018-04-20, 22:38

interesting perspectives guys

Hawkster

Unread post by Hawkster » 2018-04-24, 13:39

Night Wing wrote:
Hawkster wrote:I like the principle and for most time using Pale Moon browser, but it just gets so frustrating the 10 - 20% of time of having to run different browser in order for web page to work correctly. Sooner or later will get frustrated enough will simply use different browser that I do not have to resort to using alternate browsers. Especially as Yahoo mail itself has had glitches for awhile. Google maps is another annoying one, not that I like Google, but just too many web pages that use it.
Off-topic:
I use both the Map view and Satellite view in Google Maps extensively. I have had no problems with Google Maps whether I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon or 32 bit windows Pale Moon.
Off-topic:
Google maps works fine except Satellite view mode, it mirrors top right corner with bottom left corner. So I only get to see one triangle half duplicated. Not fan of google anyway so instead of taking time to figure out if some setting I have needs switched, just load another map. Bit of hassle instead of simply following link from another webpage, but less than one to attempt to figure out the issue.

Hawkster

Unread post by Hawkster » 2018-04-24, 13:58

Night Wing wrote:@ Pale Moon Rising

I created my Yahoo email account in 1999. But, when a company makes me jump through hoops to decline what they want me to accept, I don't mind kicking them to the curb when I get "ticked off" even after 19 years of use. Besides; with all the security breaches Yahoo has suffered through, or should I say it's registered Yahoo users have suffered through, Yahoo is a hacker's "wet dream" because Yahoo is so easy to hack. And after trying to login in to my Yahoo email account using linux Pale Moon and being re-directed to Oath's main webpage, would I trust Oath for email security? :shock: Hell no. :twisted:
Yea have had my main email account with yahoo 20 years or more too. This new Oath issue is making me seriously consider switching, but I am not so easy to kick it to the curb as you. It has served me well being able to keep same account practically all my time on net and over the multiple various city and country moves. Other than its annoying several year trend to keep asking for my mobile number and keeps wanting to switch to newer format (have to keep changing from Full Featured back to Basic every couple days), have had no issues with it. Idk, maybe I need to disable uBlock and even that might go away. But I am also not as worried about security with email much either, do not send any private details in email so as long as it has basic security and more importantly does not scan my emails, not too concerned. Oath is bit concerning though, will wait and see how it plays out. I accepted Oath terms for now, but if I see targetted ads implying its scanning my email or using keywords to scan my email, will have to look elsewhere.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-24, 16:47

Hawkster wrote:
Off-topic:
Google maps works fine except Satellite view mode, it mirrors top right corner with bottom left corner. So I only get to see one triangle half duplicated. Not fan of google anyway so instead of taking time to figure out if some setting I have needs switched, just load another map. Bit of hassle instead of simply following link from another webpage, but less than one to attempt to figure out the issue.
Off-topic:
When I'm using the Satellite view for Google Maps, I don't encounter the mirroring effect which you seem to run into whether I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon or 32 bit windows Pale Moon. You might want to check to see if an addon is causing this problem for you.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-24, 16:58

Hawkster wrote:Yea have had my main email account with yahoo 20 years or more too. This new Oath issue is making me seriously consider switching, but I am not so easy to kick it to the curb as you. It has served me well being able to keep same account practically all my time on net and over the multiple various city and country moves. Other than its annoying several year trend to keep asking for my mobile number and keeps wanting to switch to newer format (have to keep changing from Full Featured back to Basic every couple days), have had no issues with it. Idk, maybe I need to disable uBlock and even that might go away. But I am also not as worried about security with email much either, do not send any private details in email so as long as it has basic security and more importantly does not scan my emails, not too concerned. Oath is bit concerning though, will wait and see how it plays out. I accepted Oath terms for now, but if I see targetted ads implying its scanning my email or using keywords to scan my email, will have to look elsewhere.
Concerning Yahoo Mail and Oath, I did kick my Yahoo email account to the curb. The only way to affect change to an advertising company is not to use the product they control. But it will take millions of people acting in concert to accomplish this corporate policy change. With Oath's present advertising policy (scheme) for Yahoo mail, Yahoo email has had a rocky road for quite a few years back and this present Oath advertising crap will only make it worse, a lot worse in my opinion.

I have already contacted my friends who email me from Yahoo email, to delete my address in their Contacts list for me and I explained the reason why. My friends said it was no problem since they too are seriously thinking about ditching their Yahoo email accounts because of Oath's new advertising policy for Yahoo mail. They, like me, also have more than one email address so losing their Yahoo email accounts won't be a big loss to them. It seems I'm not the only one who is ticked off at Oath.