Can't Use HomeDepot Search

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Can't Use HomeDepot Search

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-02, 00:55

overzealous blacklisting based on UA perhaps?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-05-02, 00:58

coffeebreak wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:"Easy Privacy"..."Native" mode...apparently either of the two should to the trick).

With kroger.com that doesn't work. Same error message, but there's a different fix.
RedRamGT wrote:I'm getting the same error from www.kroger.com.

For Kroger, a vanilla Firefox UA override will fix this (native mode won't fix it).
A FF 52 user agent worked just now for me, FF 57 should work too.

See cassette's post above, middle of the page.
Follow the link in the post for more details.
That's interesting because I do not have a UA Override for "kroger.com" and the page seemingly works fine for me using "Native" mode ("Easy Privacy" also used in ABPrime --- but that's it):
kroger aok.png
Addendum: never mind, I had at some point switched to "Firefox Compatibility" -- in "Native" mode I get the message "Upgrade your browser" -- I also disabled "Easy Privacy" and since that time I'm not able to get the site to work --- getting "Access Denied" -- but the site did work initially as illustrated in my screen-shot with both "Firefox Compatibly" and "Easy Privacy" and nothing more....

Addendum 2: Exiting the browser gets me back to where I was, which is with "Firefox Compatibility" mode alone --- with or without "Easy Privacy" the page works as illustrated in the former screen-shot (no need for me to have a UA Override for the website).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-05-02, 01:17, edited 5 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

BeeCeeMan

Unread post by BeeCeeMan » 2018-05-02, 04:06

BeeCeeMan wrote:
Frasier wrote:Well I've added EasyPrivacy, low & behold alls well, both the homedepot.ca and oreillyauto links work fine no matter which compatibility mode is in use. Although OreillyAuto was reluctant to load at first try.

Thank you coffeebreak! Much appreciated.
I also added EasyPrivacy and all is well now.

Thanks coffeebreak !!!
I had to turn off "EasyPrivacy". It causes a problem when using Google "Images". Normally when you Google search using "Images", then click on an image, it opens a window with a few options.
With "EasyPrivacy" on, most images do nothing when clicked. A bit random, sometimes a double click will work.
Last edited by BeeCeeMan on 2018-05-02, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-02, 04:46

BeeCeeMan wrote:I had to turn off "EasyPrivacy". It causes a problem when using Google "Images".

I haven't experienced problems with Google image search.

But using EasyPrivacy isn't the only solution for Home Depot.

As mentioned earlier, you can make a site specific user agent override for homedepot.ca using your own native UA for the string.
  • First, set your user agent compatibility mode to Native. (Preferences > Advanced > General tab > Compatibility)
  • Next open either about: or about:support (your user agent displays on either of those pages).
    If the page happened to be already open, refresh it.
  • Copy the user agent that you see displayed there to a text document, to use later in your override.
  • Open about:config
  • Right click anywhere on the page, select: New > String.
  • In the box, enter the value: general.useragent.override.homedepot.ca
    Click OK.
  • In the next box enter your user agent string.
    In my case (on W7 x86) it's: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:3.4) Goanna/20180412 PaleMoon/27.9.0
    (but yours may differ a little depending on your OS and architecture). Click OK again, and you're done.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-05-02, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-05, 02:22

I tried both sites and repeated the same searches as others and had no issues. Latest PM 64bit W7 with Ublock, Disconnect, ABL. :think:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-05-05, 04:00

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I tried both sites and repeated the same searches as others and had no issues. Latest PM 64bit W7 with Ublock, Disconnect, ABL. :think:
Are you using "Firefox Compatibility" mode? --- if so then the Kroger site will work....

.... Are you using "Easy Privacy" in either Ublock or ABL? --- if so then Home Depot site should work....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-05, 04:05

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Are you using "Firefox Compatibility" mode? --- if so then the Kroger site will work....

.... Are you using "Easy Privacy" in either Ublock or ABL? --- if so then Home Depot site should work....
That would be yes to both. ;)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-05-05, 04:07

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:Are you using "Firefox Compatibility" mode? --- if so then the Kroger site will work....

That would be yes to both. ;)
... There you go --- that's why both sites are working for you (and me as well ;)) :thumbup:

BeeCeeMan

Unread post by BeeCeeMan » 2018-05-08, 01:53

Just some added information...

If I use Cookies Manager + add-on, then edit the cookie ak_bmsc, delete all the contents of that cookie and extend the expiration date, homedepot.ca works correctly.

This does not work for oreillyauto.com or kroger.com

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hitokage » 2018-05-10, 10:12

For those having this problem have a look at my post here. It should fix the O'Reilly site and others using overzealous UA blacklisting as Moonchild mentioned. Updating the Pale Moon part of the UA string I listed in that post shouldn't be a problem. Also change the bits with oreillyauto.com to the site you're having trouble with.
Last edited by hitokage on 2018-05-10, 10:14, edited 2 times in total.

BeeCeeMan

Unread post by BeeCeeMan » 2018-05-10, 21:20

hitokage wrote:For those having this problem have a look at my post here. It should fix the O'Reilly site and others using overzealous UA blacklisting as Moonchild mentioned. Updating the Pale Moon part of the UA string I listed in that post shouldn't be a problem. Also change the bits with oreillyauto.com to the site you're having trouble with.
Works great !! Thanks

thebaz

Unread post by thebaz » 2018-05-21, 21:44

hitokage wrote:For those having this problem have a look at my post here. It should fix the O'Reilly site and others using overzealous UA blacklisting as Moonchild mentioned. Updating the Pale Moon part of the UA string I listed in that post shouldn't be a problem. Also change the bits with oreillyauto.com to the site you're having trouble with.
Thanks so much for this. Spent far too much time on this last night without success. This worked perfectly.

SenDion

Re: Can't Use HomeDepot Search [SOLVED]

Unread post by SenDion » 2018-06-03, 19:01

I was experiencing similar problem while browsing homedepot site.

Kudos to hitokage for providing the solution. :clap:
Last edited by SenDion on 2018-06-03, 20:17, edited 2 times in total.