Really need to access a website via Pale Moon but I can't

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Really need to access a website via Pale Moon but I can't

Unread post by donozo » 2018-04-17, 14:32

Hi to all,

normally, I always find a solution when a site doesn't like working with PM...usually, if they don't like PM, I don't like them back :) . This time though, there is no way around it.

I need to work with the new version panel of a domain name registrar (Hexonet.net) but said new panel doesn't want to work with PM at all; I can sign in but then I get a 'site is loading' icon, URL changes to this: https://account.hexonet.net/token=[random token here]/ ..and nothing else happens.

I have tried both firefox and gecko compatibility modes along with safe mode and also tried the suggested solutions on the stickies on this sub-forum...panel still won't load.

Note that site's panel does work normally on all browses (incl.Basilisk) except with Pale Moon.

I'd very much like some help here since I need to use that site on PM only (only browser I trust in terms of security).

thanks in advance for any answers.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Really need to access a website via Pale Moon but I can't

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-17, 21:02

Welcome to the forum donozo,

Considering Pale Moon just released an update today --- are you now using Pale Moon 27.9.0?

If not try testing the site on the new release.

What Operating System are you using?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-17, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by donozo » 2018-04-17, 21:33

Hi,

yes, I'm using latest version on Windows 10 Pro 64bit (64bit PM client as well).

Any chances anyone can visit said site and check what they are using so I can try to find a solution? I don't even know how to search for it.

Please also note that, since that panel first appeared a few months ago, I have never managed to make it work with PM. I use the old panel (which works fine) but it's going to stop working starting on the 1st of May... I really need to find a solution before then.

Thanks again

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-17, 21:53

It appears your problem occurs after log-in (so not easy to test unless user has an account).

Have you tried adding a UA Override for this site i.e. perhaps try general.useragent.override.hexonet.net set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon) or some variation of that....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-17, 21:56

Have you also tried clearing cookies in Pale Moon for this site as well as clear Pale Moon cache?

donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by donozo » 2018-04-17, 22:10

Regarding cookies, cache, etc. I have cleaned everything.. I also did that again with the new update just to be sure. Honestly though, I assumed that safe mode is 'clean' of everything when it loads up, no?

Regarding the 'override' you mentioned, I wouldn't know how to do that. I also don't understand what that does, is it the same as the compatibility mode?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-17, 23:42

donozo wrote:Regarding cookies, cache, etc. I have cleaned everything.. I also did that again with the new update just to be sure. Honestly though, I assumed that safe mode is 'clean' of everything when it loads up, no?

Regarding the 'override' you mentioned, I wouldn't know how to do that. I also don't understand what that does, is it the same as the compatibility mode?
Safe-Mode is running w/out all of your extensions. The better test would be to use a fresh (alternate to your default) Profile.

Steps to add the UA Override for the hexonet.net website - Note: to make it easier - copy/paste the values into the appropriate prompts ;):
1) Type "about:config" (without quotes) into the Pale Moon browser URL address bar and press return.
2) Press the "I promise to be careful!" Button to access Preferences.
3) Right-Click anywhere you see preference settings and from the context menu select "New" > "String".
4) Enter "general.useragent.override.hexonet.net" (without quotes) as the "Preference name" (New String value).
5) Press "OK"
6) Enter "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon)" (without quotes) as the "String Value".
7) Press "OK"

Test the site.

Or if no luck try for the last prompt: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20180305 PaleMoon/27.8.1" for the last prompt (w/out quotes of course).

You might, just for the heck of it, try this for the second prompt above: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko" (w/out quotes -- this is the IE11 User Agent)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-17, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-17, 23:48

donozo wrote:.... I also don't understand what that does, is it the same as the compatibility mode?
A lot of sites do User Agent sniffing to determine what browser you are using. The Useragent Override pref setting satisfies the website that you are using the browser they want you to use. There are probably 40+ default Useragent Override pref settings for various sites in Pale Moon about:config. I personally also have probably 30+ modified or new Useragent Override settings for various websites myself. If you type in "useragent.override" w/out quotes in the search box in about:config you will see all of them listed.

Oh and no it is not the same as "compatibility mode" (which is global browser setting) as these Useragent Override pref settings are overrides that are site specific.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-17, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by donozo » 2018-04-18, 01:16

First of all, I appreciate a lot you spending time for my issue. No matter if it gets solved or not in the end I just want that to be said :)

Now,
I honestly don't think it's an agent thing. I tried what you said -indeed there are plenty of overrides in the config page- but the issue persists.

Normally, when a site gets a bit crazy on what browser I use, the page comes up blank.. ie. nothing happens at all until I play a bit with the compatibility mode.
In this case though the login comes up normally, I do get logged in, then the page tries to do something and then it gets stuck in the 'token'. On all the other browsers, the URL comes up like this: https://account.hexonet.net/token=lLw4p4Bk/#/dashboard but on PM it comes up incomplete like this: https://account.hexonet.net/token=lLw4p4Bk/
From what I understand the problem is between the time the token is created to when it the dashboard page comes up... it gets stuck somewhere in-between.

Note that the site owners refuse to do anything about it... if they did I wouldn't be here now of course.

...what a mess :(

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-18, 01:26

You could post your Error Console results in this topic and perhaps someone could evaluate it (Under "Web Developer">"Error console") -- Select "Errors" only Button (to get only "Errors) and then "Clear" errors before attempting to log-in to the website.

After doing the log-in then copy/paste the Error Console results into this topic. Be sure to "hide" the results (use "hide" button) of the Error Console results as it might be lengthy.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-18, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by donozo » 2018-04-18, 01:56

Now, why on earth didn't think of that?

There is this only one error:

Error: SyntaxError: in strict mode code, functions may be declared only at top level or immediately within another function
Source File: https://account.hexonet.net/cp3/app.min.js
Line: 1, Column: 557328
Source Code:
,l,d,u,p,f){function E(e,t){switch(e){case"number":function n(){}return n.prototype.init=function(e){this.params=e,this.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-18, 15:34

"SyntaxError: in strict mode code, functions may be declared only at top level or immediately within another function"
Pretty clear it's an error on their behalf.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by donozo » 2018-04-18, 17:15

Hello Moonchild and thanks for joining in.

No matter if that is on their side or not, the fact remains that site works on all browsers except PM. I'm not trying to correct their mistakes, just to make PM work.
I'd really appreciate any ideas that would help me with that.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-18, 17:16

This TOPIC DISCUSSION crosses my mind regarding the pref "javascript.options.strict" which has a default value of "false". You may want to read through that topic.

Back at the time of that topic I had set the pref to "true" which fixed that specific website discussed in that topic -- and I've noticed just now after about a month I still have that pref set to "true" and haven't noticed much of any kinds of problems with the sites I typically use.

Just for giggles you might try setting the "javascript.options.strict" to "true" to see if this makes a difference (you can always toggle it back to it's default "false" by just doing a double-click on the pref). I'm not saying this will fix the specific issue(s) with this site because I have no idea (and don't pretend to know the specifics of this pref -- as you can see in the linked topic above) -- but it certainly can't hurt just testing this pref change on this specific "hexonet.net" site.

To test this change type "options.script" in the about:config search bar to filter to just the specific pref and then double-click on the setting to toggle the pref to a "true" value --- then test site. (if no luck, as I said --- it's easy enough to toggle the pref back to the default "false" value with another double-click).

I would test this myself but the issue involves a log-in and I do not have an account with this site -- but am curious what the results would be..... give it a try - it's easy enough to test out ;)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-18, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by donozo » 2018-04-18, 18:05

All Ideas are welcome :)

that suggestion didn't work but it was a good tip. Emsisoft wasn't working for me as well until I got that 'strict' option to true... now, that's interesting.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-20, 05:34

I'm sorry but there simply is no way to "force their hand" if it currently comes up as a syntax error in Pale Moon. You'll have to use a different browser for that site for the time being.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by donozo » 2018-04-20, 11:17

I was hoping that said 'syntax error' was due to something that PM does not support as of yet but it could be supported soon.

I can use another browser occasionally for other sites or tools that don't require transactions etc. but that site is part of my work and is being used extensively. Moving off PM is something that I'd rather not do as I *never* make online transactions using other browsers.

So,
seeing that this happens only with PM and seeing that said error also shows up only when using PM, I'd kindly ask if there is any possibility for something to be done about it.

Note that I understand that,
having that kind of security in a browser means that there is some compromise that needs to be done by us, so, if you say 'no, that can't be done', I'm ok with that, I just need to know if it's possible or not so I can plan ahead.

thanks

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-04-20, 14:16

I don't think anything can be done about it in the short term because "those" standards are fairly recent and implementing them is not trivial. In the long term, yes - people are working on porting Pale Moon to UXP. Once that is done, most of these site compatibility issues will be fixed.

I understand that you cannot put your trust in other browsers for sensitive work, but I suggest you try Basilisk. Basilisk is also released by Moonchild, so you can put certain amout of faith in the browser. It is more feature complete with respect to web standards and should most likely resolve your issue.

donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by donozo » 2018-04-20, 14:39

adesh wrote:...but I suggest you try Basilisk. Basilisk is also released by Moonchild, so you can put certain amout of faith in the browser. It is more feature complete with respect to web standards and should most likely resolve your issue.
already did ;)

I'll probably split my work between those two browsers. I was reluctant to do so before because of what I read on the net about how unstable Basilisk is ...but then again I thought "since when do you trust what you read on the net?" and that was about it.

Thank you all for the replies, Basilisk will be the way to go it seems.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-20, 15:01

Excellent suggestion by adesh -- this is exactly what I do as well as I see from your post above donozo you do also -- Basilisk is my primary backup Browser to Pale Moon if it is absolutely necessary to use a website that may have similar problems using Pale Moon as discussed in this topic (virtually the ONLY two browsers I use -- w/ PM used ~99% :thumbup:).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-20, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.