How do I stay signed in to websites?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bachrock

How do I stay signed in to websites?

Unread post by bachrock » 2013-01-11, 20:31

When I restart Pale Moon, I have to log back into websites even when I check the box to keep me always signed in. How can I fix this?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How do I stay signed in to websites?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-12, 09:54

It depends a little on how individual sites are programmed, but if they are secure sites (https) you may want to lower the privacy level of your session store:

In about:config, find the preference browser.sessionstore.privacy_level and set this to 0
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bachrock

Unread post by bachrock » 2013-01-12, 20:01

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The sites I have in mind are forums like this one and Reddit.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-12, 22:05

You may also want to make sure that your privacy settings are set to remember history and cookies. Logins are normally stored in session cookies and too strict privacy settings may remove them when you close the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

bachrock

Unread post by bachrock » 2013-01-19, 23:18

I still can't get this to work.

I went to about:config, typed in "cookie", and compared the settings between firefox and pale moon. Pale moon doesn't have all the options, but I made those that it does have match firefox.

Does checking the "tell websites I do not want to be tracked" box matter?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-20, 08:27

No this is a anti tracking option. But this only works if the webpage support it

What for cookie settings do you set in options? I would say you delete all cookies if you close the button, so you don't stay signed

bachrock

Unread post by bachrock » 2013-01-23, 01:59

I'm not sure what you're asking. I typed in "about:config" and searched 'cookie'. The values I have set are as follows:

false
true
false
false
false
false
true
true
true
true

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-23, 04:04

I mean your settings under settings - cookies.

Post better the settings from about:support

bachrock

Unread post by bachrock » 2013-01-23, 06:30

network.cookie.prefsMigratedtrue
privacy.clearOnShutdown.cookiesfalse
privacy.cpd.cookiesfalse

Those are the only 3 cookie ones in about:support

Are you talking about something else?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-23, 09:08

You should check the cookie/history privacy settings in Options:
cookiehistory1.png
Under History, select "custom", check if "clear history" is set there.
If so, Pale Moon by default will also remove cookies (since they will also indicate the places visited). To change this cookie behavior when clearing history is enabled, deselect "cookies" in the settings window:
cookiehistory2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bachrock

Unread post by bachrock » 2013-01-25, 08:06

That did it! Thank you kindly.