Morgan Staley Log-on Page Wont Load, Again

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Morgan Staley Log-on Page Wont Load, Again

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-03-27, 14:11

For a number of months now running Win 7 64 bit and Pale Noon pretty much up to date, the Morgan Stanley page after I enter my name and password will not load. All I get is a blank window. I had been dragging my feet in terms of upgrading into the 27.8.x so both my HD and Portable versions were at 27.7.2.

Here are the steps I tried to correct the issue and which did nothing:
1. Disabled bothe ABL and Ghostery.
2. Tried all 3 User Agebt Modes.
3. Updated my HD version to 27.8.2.
4. Tried all 3 User Agent Modes and disabling those two extension
5. Tried Inspect Element and then Debugger. It returned information. I did this to see if anything was on the blank page knowing anything reported I would not understand.

None of the other financial sites i use has any issues. These Include Vanguard, Neuberger Berman, Citibank, Chase, Simmons Bank CC. Sites like Ebay, Paypal and Amazon all work fine. However, my principle investment firm is Morgan.

I should note that M S does not support P M specifically. Every time i used the site over the past months I got the same old warning that I was not using a supported browser and I should switch. The only thing I might switch is brokerage firms. Plus my unsupported browser had worked fine.

Unlike the average user, when any given site will not work for me, I do not change my browser, I change what site I will use. For a number of years now it has been a battle with Morgan where they make a stupid coding change and P M stops working. Then down the road something changes and it starts working again. I have a good friend as my broker and I am loyal to him not to Morgan. We met in 1980 playing poker. Back then I was a broker/CFP. When I left that field, I moved all the family accounts to his firm (which was not M S back then).

Any thoughts or suggestions that might fix things, if the problem is on the Pale Moon end would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise i think I have to find a new broker after working with my guy now for almost 30 years and though 4 takeovers of his firm.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Morgan Staley Log-on Page Wont Load, Again

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-03-27, 14:17

try about:config

and double click the following value:

javascript.options.strict

So it is set to true.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-03-27, 16:39

@Sajadi
Thank you very much for your help.

I just made the change in the 27.8.2 HD copy of P M. and it helped a bit. However, it still hung at the log-on but did get a spinning circle instead of a blank page. Then I checked where I had left the user Agent Mode set, and it was Firefox. I changed it to back to my normal setting of Native and now Morgan works again.

This fix also worked for my portable version on the USB stick running 27.7.2. Normally, I update one version and then use it for a while to insure there are no bugs which might cause me problems. When I am sure the newest fersion works fine for me, I update the other versions as well.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-03-29, 05:09

Sajadi wrote:try about:config

and double click the following value:

javascript.options.strict

So it is set to true.
Thanks so much. That fixed my MS problem on 27.8.1 (32 bit). Morgan Stanley just recently changed their log-in screen and address it seems, because I did not have that problem until recently. How did you ever determine that was the problem??

Regarding TwoTankAman's second post, this Useragent string works fine for me:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1: WOW64: rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 (PaleMoon)

Harry

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-03-29, 14:03

@1210_bex

I was referring to the 3 different User Agent Modes one can select in Tools/Preferences/Advanced. I prefer not to use individual custom useragent overrides. Most sites seem to work fine in Native Mode. There is one site that does not and that is my ISP's site- Verizon. I have to change the Mode to Firefox or some thing won't work on the site. It is already one of the worst designed sites I have ever had to use in my 20 years using the Net.

It is almost preferable to undergo root canal work that to have to do anything on the Verizon site, especially anything commerce related.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-03-29, 18:28

TwoTankAmin wrote:@1210_bex

I was referring to the 3 different User Agent Modes one can select in Tools/Preferences/Advanced. I prefer not to use individual custom useragent overrides. Most sites seem to work fine in Native Mode. There is one site that does not and that is my ISP's site- Verizon. I have to change the Mode to Firefox or some thing won't work on the site. It is already one of the worst designed sites I have ever had to use in my 20 years using the Net.
Interesting. I have my User Agent set for Firefox, which I think is the default. I never looked at 'Native'.

I started making changes to the useragent overrides when Moonchild got the Morgan Stanley site working again in version 27.0, I think (or maybe a late Ver 26). What I sent you was from my laptop computer. I updated the useragent again last year on my desktop, when MS kept sending me these 'your browser is out of date' notes. I never got around to doing that on my laptop, since I don't use it much. Will be interesting to see whether I get update notes on my laptop going forward.

I don't use Verizon. Morgan Stanley, and their continual website tinkering (did you notice that their logon url has changed) is bad enough.

Harry