Weather.com makes PM freeze up

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tenseys

Weather.com makes PM freeze up

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-03-21, 10:52

When I visit weather.com with a new (or default) profile in PM, the browser freezes and shows not responding on top and then a script message comes up:
Capture.PNG
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-03-21, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Weather.com makes PM freeze up

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-03-21, 11:13

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.8.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce. When I clicked on the Weather.com site, the first thing that popped up was a window asking me to disable my Adblock Latitude (4.0.1). After disabling my adbocker, the Weather.com site loaded, which took about 3 seconds of time and the site rendered properly for me.

You're using Windows 10 whereas I'm using linux Mint (18.3). I'll switch over to my 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1 hard drive and see if I can duplicate your problem. It'll take me a few minutes and then I'll report back.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-03-21, 11:24

I'm now using 32 bit windows Pale Moon 27.8.1 running in 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1. Went to the Weather.com site and again, I was presented with a windows asking me to disable Adblock Latitude (4.0.1). After disabling my adblocker, the Weather.com site loads in about 3 seconds of time. I cannot duplicate your freezing problems in either linux Mint or Windows 7.

I did notice, this site has a lot of ads and one of them is probably designed with a poorly written script.

You'll just have to wait till someone else comes along and is using Windows 10 and maybe he/she can duplicate your freezing problem.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-03-21, 11:53

Ok thanks for checking on your end.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-03-21, 12:41

I tried it on two other different (all HP) Windows 10 laptops and same story. All laptops have latest version of Windows 10 - V 1709 Build 16299.309 installed. I have the latest version of PM installed and the other two laptops have slightly earlier versions.
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-03-21, 13:47, edited 5 times in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-21, 12:43

I have said this before and i will say it again,windows is the cause of many browser issues.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2018-03-21, 14:21

So much for it being a Windows only issue. It does exactly the same thing on mine (Palemoon for Linux, 27.8.1.). Running uBlock Origin, but disabling it for weather.com makes no difference.

Tried it with a clean test profile on multiple (Linux) machines. Locks up tight on weather.com on every single one of them.

Popped over to Firefox for Linux version 58.0.2 with uBlock Origin enabled to see if it does the same thing: Nope. No problems at all with the site, with or without adblock enabled.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-03-21, 18:51

Confirmed. (Win 10/64 - PM 27.8.1)
PM freeze for 3-5 seconds before loading this page or for some links inside the page.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Go_To

Unread post by Go_To » 2018-03-21, 19:01

I haven't noticed any freeze up of the web browser on Windows 10 (64-bit PM). My guess is that uBlock Orgin and NoScript are blocking something that would've caused the freezing.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2018-03-21, 19:08

Hm, perhaps looking in the Browser Console would help:

mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create polyfill.min.js:3:32610
TypeError: gptQueueHook is not a function weather.com:34:23
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://cdn3.optimizely.com/js/geo2.js?cb=1521659179206. (Reason: CORS request failed). <unknown>
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://cdn3.optimizely.com/js/geo2.js?cb=1521659187586. (Reason: CORS request failed). <unknown>
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://cdn3.optimizely.com/js/geo2.js?cb=1521659188107. (Reason: CORS request failed). <unknown>

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-03-21, 19:44

Go_To wrote:I haven't noticed any freeze up of the web browser on Windows 10 (64-bit PM). My guess is that uBlock Orgin and NoScript are blocking something that would've caused the freezing.
Likely noscript since ublock origin doesn't stop issue for me.
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-03-22, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-03-21, 19:48

Double post.. see above.
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-03-22, 05:15, edited 7 times in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-03-21, 20:03

Loaded with a clean profile on Linux and I also experienced a several-second freeze before everything loaded.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-24, 16:12

Just now tested https://weather.com/ using 32 bit windows Pale Moon 27.8.2 running in 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1 and the page loaded just fine (less than 2 seconds) without any issue at all.

Tested with uBO using the following 3rd-party filters:
uBO filters used.png
(didn't get any message from site regarding any ad-block problems). Also works without issue using ABPrime as well.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-24, 20:00, edited 2 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

thefossil
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by thefossil » 2018-03-24, 19:36

I'm using 32bit PM on Win7 64bit Home Premium laptop (Intel Graphics)
Weather loads, ads a few more seconds (no adblocker) but clicking on any link on the page gives me the "foggy" screen and PM (Not Responding).

Just loaded uBO... if that's what's gonna help here. Here's my WhatisHang report, too.
Attachments
Hang 2018.03.24 Weather.txt
(203.35 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Last edited by thefossil on 2018-03-24, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

thefossil
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by thefossil » 2018-03-24, 19:48

Still some spinning wheels, but uBlock Origin helped quite a bit on this site and other ad-heavy sites I checked.

Thank you!
Last edited by thefossil on 2018-03-24, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-03-25, 01:47

Ublock origin/Adblock Latitude disabled or enabled with default settings has no effect for me with this issue.

Weather.com freezes and eventually gives a script warning as shown above in earlier post.

However, when I install noscript, which is an extension i have never used before, without touching it at all and it doing its thing whatever it does in default settings, the issue is gone. Weather.com loads instantly and there is no lag or script error messages.

So I assume noscript is killing a script/s that is causing the browser to hang/not respond/error message for me. Maybe the one in the message that is in the first screenshot, I don't know.

It does give this message: scripts forbidden: script 29 object 2.

So noscript fixes it for me. Interesting extension.
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-03-25, 02:11, edited 8 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-25, 06:03

I also use NoScript and am only allowing of course weather.com as well as polyfill.io.

As soon as I allow "w-x.co" this opens Pandora's box, so-to-speak, which opens-the-door for 6 more site requests (each of which if allowed could potentially spawn more requests from that point) i.e. 914.global.ssl.fastly.net, crwdcntrl.net, amazon-adsystem.com, taboola.com, criteo.net, wfxtriggers.com of which most if not all may not be necessary to functionally render the page.

And more to the point of this topic, by allowing the "w-x.co" site request the page appears to then load but ultimately hangs Pale Moon for as long as 20 seconds. I would probably be getting potentially multiple persistent "script busy" errors (just as your are getting) prior to the page-load except that I had long ago increased the Pale Moon "script" request wait-time by 4X's the default (i.e. I have increased the dom.max_script_run_time for Pale Moon from the default value "20" to "80") in order to resolve multiple "script busy" errors I was getting with my start.me page a while back. Most likely you would not be getting the "script busy" error(s) as well by increasing the script wait-time but would as a result experience an even longer page-load hang time like in my case (as a consequence of allowing the "w-x.co" site request).

So in conclusion, apparently blocking the "w-x.co" request (via NoScript default) avoids this specific Pale Moon hang issue for this web-site (discovered via trial-and-error testing of NoScript as a result of this topic).
Off-topic:
Addendum: btw -- of course as a result of using NoScript you'll have to put up with the one-time inconvenience of setting the specific requests that are needed for each visited web-page to work properly keeping in mind the NoScript default is to initially block all requests. ;)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-25, 07:49, edited 4 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2018-03-25, 17:17

Weather.com is a somewhat wonky site, but their forecasts are the best for where I live, so I've set it up to my liking in uBO.

Contrary to Pale Moon Rising, I've found that blocking polyfill.io is the key. (From what I've experienced in recent years, they don't seem to use polyfill properly, unlike other sites.) The w-x.co scripts execute and make plenty of XHR requests as well on video pages.

Sometimes my bookmarked forecast page may take up to 1 second to load, but usually it's almost instant, and I check the forecast at least once a day. Then I can switch to other views (hourly, 5 day, etc.) no problem.

The only way I've experienced the long delays reported in this thread is with polyfill.io unblocked.
Last edited by joe04 on 2018-03-25, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-25, 18:56

Thanks for the feedback joe04 --- I don't personally use this site so didn't check out what is required for the page to work properly for one thing (regarding setting up a weather location).

It turns out that "w-x.co" causes the issue I described only when "polyfill.io" is allowed (which I happened to be allowing by default for this site at the time I tested it).

So as you point out if "polyfill.io" is blocked then "w-x.co" does not create the hang issue (my results were based on allowing "polyfill.io" which in combination with "w-x.co" the hang occurs).

But more importantly, to be able to set an area to check for weather on the site "w-x.co" has to be allowed.

So blocking "polyfill.io" does get the best results since "w-x.co" is apparently necessary to set weather locations on the website. :thumbup:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-25, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.