Website missing content

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Website missing content

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-17, 22:41

Can you see anything here? I get an almost blank page: https://my.emsisoft.com/

Error console gives: TypeError: this is undefined and TypeError: $(...).offset(...) is undefined

The box below should appear:
Clipboard Image.png

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Website missing content

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-17, 23:43

I get a totally blank page for that URL in Pale Moon 27.8.1 (32-bit).

I get this in Basilisk:
Basilisk gets this.png
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Rich3w

Unread post by Rich3w » 2018-03-17, 23:53

Sadly, Pale Moon breaks too many websites and doesn't display them correctly.
What's more worrying is the fact you have no idea if something vital is missing from a page.

Pale Moon really needs an upgrade to a more recent version of Firefox - ie what is happening with Basilisk.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-17, 23:57

Off-topic:
Rich3w wrote:Sadly, Pale Moon breaks too many websites and doesn't display them correctly. What's more worrying is the fact you have no idea if something vital is missing from a page.
No need for such overstatements. For me at least, 99% of the web works fine and I haven't missed anything "vital".
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-03-17, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

Rich3w

Unread post by Rich3w » 2018-03-18, 00:07

back2themoon wrote:For me at least, 99% of the web works fine and I haven't missed anything "vital".
You have no idea if you haven't missed anything vital - you wouldn't see it :) How do you know if you've missed a security message on a banking/finance site?
There are multiple threads every week about sites not working correctly. These are just users that care to report/post.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-18, 00:14

Off-topic:
Rich3w wrote:You have no idea if you haven't missed anything vital - you wouldn't see it :) How do you know if you've missed a security message on a banking/finance site?
I know what you mean, but vital = life-threatening. I guess the Web equivalent of that is e-banking? The two banks I use work perfectly. Banks usually either work or don't on Pale Moon. If the bank wants to throw a message they probably will, on any browser. If they fail to do that (or warn you they don't like Pale Moon) I wouldn't trust them in the first place, with any browser. Let's not continue with the off-topic please.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-18, 00:21

Actually Chat does render -- bottom right-corner of page. ;)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-18, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-03-18, 00:33

Gives me an almost blank white page using 64 bit linux Pale Moon (27.8.1).
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-03-18, 00:37, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Rich3w

Unread post by Rich3w » 2018-03-18, 00:33

back2themoon wrote: I know what you mean, but vital = life-threatening. I guess the Web equivalent of that is e-banking? The two banks I use work perfectly. Banks usually either work or don't on Pale Moon. If the bank wants to throw a message they probably will, on any browser. If they fail to do that (or warn you they don't like Pale Moon) I wouldn't trust them in the first place, with any browser. Let's not continue with the off-topic please.
It's not off topic. I gave you you reason the site doesn't work. Pale Moon is based on old code that doesn't support some recent websites. Load a clean profile if you think your version of Pale Moon may be at fault.

It doesn't matter if the website isn't coded 'correctly'. It matters that the sites don't display correctly to the user.
Other browsers display https://my.emsisoft.com/ correctly.

Oh, and vital has more than one meaning.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-18, 00:44

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 3/17/2018 8:44:22 PM
Error: TypeError: this is undefined
Source File: https://my.emsisoft.com/main.2ef6c123309dfe29912a.bundle.js
Line: 1

Timestamp: 3/17/2018 8:44:22 PM
Error: TypeError: $(...).offset(...) is undefined
Source File: https://my.emsisoft.com/scripts.9912d5f60daaa59196cc.bundle.js
Line: 1

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-18, 00:45

Off-topic:
Rich3w wrote:It's not off topic. I gave you you reason the site doesn't work.
Please don't lecture me, I've been using PM for years. You didn't give any technical reason. "Old code" is not a reason, or explanation, or anything pointing to a solution. You think I don't know it works on other browsers? Where did the screenshot in the first post come from? We've already established there's an issue with this website. Anything unrelated to my.emsisoft.com is off-topic. There are gazillion other places to philosophize about "PM vs. other browsers". I hope I won't have to ask you a third time.

Rich3w

Unread post by Rich3w » 2018-03-18, 01:11

back2themoon wrote: Please don't lecture me, I've been using PM for years. You didn't give any technical reason. "Old code" is not a reason, or explanation, or anything pointing to a solution. You think I don't know it works on other browsers? Where did the screenshot in the first post come from? We've already established there's an issue with this website. Anything unrelated to my.emsisoft.com is off-topic. There are gazillion other places to philosophize about "PM vs. other browsers". I hope I won't have to ask you a third time.
And I hope I don't have to say it again. It's old code that doesn't cope with current designs is the problem! Why do you think it renders in Basilisk?
I'll guess you won't get a solution in Pale Moon. Next to no site issues get a resolution other than playing with the user agent.

@ New Tobin Paradigm
It doesn't matter how the site is coded, just that it doesn't work in Pale Moon. Pale Moon is either failing to handle the error where more recent rendering engines do or, is the error caused by Pale Moon?

----------------------
Just about every post recently about broken sites has the solution of - it works in Basilisk. The faster the base code gets moved to Pale Moon the better IMO.

I'm NOT criticising Pale Moon, just being realistic about where it currently is.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-18, 01:53

I pasted the errors for reference. Get off your high horse.. Don't like it? Use something else.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2018-03-18, 02:13

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-18, 02:20

The website in question here WORKS! --- with javascript.options.strict set to "true". :thumbup: Thanks jars_! :thumbup:

So the question remains as posted in the other topic:
SGvagon wrote: Yes, when I set this script to True, aukro.cz website loads perfectly. Why is this script default set on False?
.... Can we say it is recommended to set this pref to the non-default "true"? :eh:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-18, 02:21, edited 2 times in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-03-18, 03:23

Pale Moon Rising wrote:The website in question here WORKS! --- with javascript.options.strict set to "true". :thumbup: Thanks jars_! :thumbup:

Ditto here. The site displays for me too when javascript.options.strict = true:
(PM 27.8.1, Win 7 x86)
myEmisoft.png

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-18, 10:49

Thank you jars_ , indeed toggling that option makes the website work. Anxiously waiting for Rich3w's new comment. :roll:

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-03-18, 10:58

Rich3w wrote:Sadly, Pale Moon breaks too many websites and doesn't display them correctly.
What's more worrying is the fact you have no idea if something vital is missing from a page.

Pale Moon really needs an upgrade to a more recent version of Firefox - ie what is happening with Basilisk.
"Upgrade" - Pretty sure there will be no upgrade to a recent Firefox code base - as Firefox 57 and beyond destroying everything what makes Pale Moon - well... basically Pale Moon.

So, UXP is the last fork - and from here on, features will be back-ported and rewritten to make them work in the Pale Moon code.

So, get your facts straight and do not demand unreasonable things ;)

Also, if you want a browser which constantly features latest shiny gimmicks - There are enough other browsers available, so if you do not feel happy with Pale Moon - you have the choice to use a different product instead.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-03-18, 11:01, edited 2 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-18, 11:05

If you think it's a case for contacting the website admins, let me know and I'll do it. I'd obviously need some technical info to pass along.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-03-18, 12:01

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Can we say it is recommended to set this pref to the non-default "true"? :eh:
Well, looking up for that about:config entry says that this option can create a big number of additional warnings/errors which are hidden when it is set to disabled.

Which can of course impact the responsiveness of the browser in a negative way if you hit a page which creates myriads of warnings that way ;)