Yahoo's new email format not rendering correclty

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Go_To

Yahoo's new email format not rendering correclty

Unread post by Go_To » 2018-03-16, 14:56

I've stuck with the Classic view as long as possible in hopes of them fixing their new format.

Nope, they forced me onto the new email format. The inbox doesn't automatically update (very strange) and requires manual refresh. Clicking on "Unread" or "Starred" renders a blank page. If I bounce around in the email page too much, it will eventually render a blank page, and can only be reset by closing the tab and opening a new one. Safe mode makes no difference.

I am using Pale Moon 27.8.1 (64-bits) on Windows 10.
Last edited by Go_To on 2018-03-16, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Yahoo's new email format not rendering correclty

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-03-16, 15:17

I don't see how they forced you into it but in Yahoo mail click the Gear icon click settings and select "basic mail".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Go_To

Unread post by Go_To » 2018-03-16, 16:12

billmcct wrote:I don't see how they forced you into it but in Yahoo mail click the Gear icon click settings and select "basic mail".
I just noticed that the Settings doesn't open when I click on the gear icon. I'm going to Edge to see if I can make the settings change.

Yesterday my Yahoo email page switched from classic to the new one on its own.

EDIT: Switched it back to Classic view using MS Edge. I am concerned that Yahoo will eventually force all of their users off of Classic view.
Last edited by Go_To on 2018-03-16, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Scribe » 2018-03-16, 16:59

Yes I had exactly the same thing a few days ago. I unsuspectingly opened Yahoo mail and the new version was just there - without being asked! The settings button was unclickable so I had to change it back to Classic using Firefox. I suspect that it's only a matter of time before Classic is removed altogether. I know about the UA string workaround, but I really think that something needs to be done in a PM update to make it compatible with the new version, especially since any new PM users are likely to abandon it straight away when they find they can't use Yahoo without jumping through hoops that might be beyond their expertise anyway.

frapper

Unread post by frapper » 2018-03-16, 23:08

They did this to me Thursday in PM. It's all broken. Can't open Settings. Can't delete after viewing. Can't check mail in the list and delete. Trying to checkbox a mail opens it instead. No number of new mails on the browser tab. Can't hide "Views" of folders. The whole thing is their usual drug-induced fiasco. Bunch of yahoos.

Since the Settings gear icon was broken too, I searched and found a page that will at least get you back to the Basic version.

https://www.lifewire.com/switch-to-yahoo-classic-1174502

Later, in FF ESR, it switched me back to the "New" mail. I ended up trying a couple different browsers and finally got a Yahoo popup on the "New" mail page that asked if I wanted to "go back" to Classic mail. It also asked why. There was a drop-down list of "Why" as well as a field you could fill in. I let them know how I felt and then clicked the button. Instantly I was back in Classic. It's still there today (Friday). I hope it lasts, but at least Basic give you a functioning mailbox.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-03-17, 00:21

I opened up a tab using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.8.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce and went to check my Yahoo Mail account. I still have Yahoo Basic so all is good for me as of this moment. I never took the bait when Yahoo "suggested" I should switch to the newest Yahoo Mail. Anytime Yahoo says you can go back, it is usually a bold faced lie.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Scribe » 2018-03-17, 08:33

If you are 'lucky' enough to be asked if you want to try the new version, I found that pressing Esc is the best way to get rid of the popup - for now anyway, but as I said before, in the long run - like it or not, I expect that Classic will be removed altogether, so hopefully MC can do something to make PM compatible with the new one.

plodr

Unread post by plodr » 2018-03-17, 13:43

I always replied, I'm not interested when Yahoo asked me to use the new version.
Today Yahoo forced the new but not improved version on me.
The gear icon will allow me to select Switch back to classic but it doesn't switch. The feedback popup as to why I want to switch allows me to type in it but the feedback button does nothing.

I fired up Internet Explorer <shudder> and it appeared to allow me to switch back. It said unsupported browser then wanted me to use Firefox or Chrome.

When I launched Palemoon again, I was still at the new version. I guess I'll be forced to fire up IE just to view my Yahoo webmail.

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2018-03-17, 14:26

I have found a solution, which is to set a UA override for yahoo.com to:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/603.3.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.2 Safari/603.3.8
Yes, it's kind of weird that you have to tell it that you are using Safari, but the full-fat Yahoo Mail then renders and works correctly in Pale Moon.

If you go into about:config and search, you'll find there's already an override listed, just change it to the one above, then re-load Yahoo Mail.

plodr

Unread post by plodr » 2018-03-17, 17:56

I finally got back to my Classic Yahoo Mail.
I had to fire up FF ESR and to be on the safe side, I disabled the theme I had installed and used the default.

I clicked on Settings, then go back to Classic. Before when I did this, the popup allowed me to do things but the feedback button didn't work.
1. I noticed there was an arrow beside the first line so I clicked that and selected one of the options.
2. Next I typed in some comments about the latest version.
3. Finally I saw the feedback button become active. I was able to click it and Classic was back. Phew.

Maybe the key was to select something then type comments.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-03-17, 21:05

geez, I wonder when mine will change. As of now I'm still on basic mail.
Well I thought things would get better not worse since Verizon bought Yahoo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

UserPATRICKJANE

Unread post by UserPATRICKJANE » 2018-03-19, 18:55

Scribe wrote:Yes I had exactly the same thing a few days ago. I unsuspectingly opened Yahoo mail and the new version was just there - without being asked! The settings button was unclickable so I had to change it back to Classic using Firefox.
I too found the settings button unclickable, until I click compose mail, and then when the compose mail came up the settings button was clickable thus I then switched to the classic view.

If the classic view is ever completely retried I will permanently use Thunderbird, or another client, to access Yahoo Mail via IMAP. More and more I use an IMAP client for Yahoo Mail.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-03-22, 14:01

My Yahoo mail was updated as well and it's all messed up. I'll try that UA override.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-03-22, 16:08

I just checked my Yahoo email account (again) and I'm still on Basic. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.8.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2018-03-22, 21:29

Swapped me over too. One of several annoyances that mean that I don't use it much these days (including blocking 'spam' even though my settings say it shouldn't, and providing no way to delete one of my old security email addresses).

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

joaopaulo1511

Unread post by joaopaulo1511 » 2018-05-11, 20:35

I also have issues using the new Yahoo Mail format: I can't delete any message, and even the "automatically mark as read" function doesn't work.

I had to switch to Yahoo Mail Basic (login via https://login.yahoo.com/?.src=ym&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fus-mg5.mail.yahoo.com%2Fneo%2Fb%2Flaunch%3Fretry_ssl%3D1%26.rand%3D492165382) so I could use it again from the browser when not using IMAP to get my messages.
Last edited by joaopaulo1511 on 2018-05-11, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-05-11, 20:51

Seems to me the logical conclusion here is to not use yahoo and fnd an alternative.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-12, 02:44

Logic, oh no, not logic. We don't need no stinking logic. We have Google to think for us. :lol: :angel:

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-05-16, 03:47

Moonraker wrote:Seems to me the logical conclusion here is to not use yahoo and fnd an alternative.

While that may sound like a logical idea, it may be hard for some to migrate an email address when it's been in use for years. At least that;s true for me. I've had my Yahoo email account for at least 10 years now. And to make matters worse, I have an alias tied to it. So I have two email addresses tied to the same account.

I do have like 7 email addresses though. All for different purposes. My Yahoo email is largely for online crap.

ThornyBob

Unread post by ThornyBob » 2018-05-26, 23:58

G'day,
UserPATRICKJANE wrote:
Scribe wrote:Yes I had exactly the same thing a few days ago. I unsuspectingly opened Yahoo mail and the new version was just there - without being asked! The settings button was unclickable so I had to change it back to Classic using Firefox.
I too found the settings button unclickable, until I click compose mail, and then when the compose mail came up the settings button was clickable thus I then switched to the classic view......
worked for me, thanks... :D

cheers,
Bob