youtube videos in multiple tabs all start playing at once Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

youtube videos in multiple tabs all start playing at once

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-03-16, 07:05

This is annoying. I visit Youtube; I see a list or find a sequence of lstings of YouTube videos; ON PALE MOON, if I sequencially open each desired video as a new tab and keep the tab in background instead of becoming the active tab, each of the opened tabs begin loading AND PLAYING all at once, at the same time.

Is some way to make these new opened tabs which are opened to the background, WAIT until their tab is taken to the front as active tab, before it plays the video?

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: youtube videos in multiple tabs all start playing at once

Unread post by adesh » 2018-03-16, 14:42

You can modify media settings to disable autoplay. To disable autoplay, you have to go to about:config, search for "autoplay" and change the listed preferences to "false" (double-click will toggle). Of note: these settings apply to all tabs, not just background ones.
Last edited by adesh on 2018-03-16, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-03-16, 18:01

There are a few sites that need autoplay to be enabled to view their videos. I got an extension that allows me to toggle autoplay from a button, from here:
http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/autopl ... startless/

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-03-17, 04:55

In case the further information helps,

The problem I described seems to happen in PALE MOON on Windows Vista, but for example, the problem does NOT occur in Google Chrome on Windows 10.

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-03-17, 06:52

adesh wrote:You can modify media settings to disable autoplay. To disable autoplay, you have to go to about:config, search for "autoplay" and change the listed preferences to "false" (double-click will toggle). Of note: these settings apply to all tabs, not just background ones.
Disabling either of these two flags (but not both at same time) did not work. I ASSUME that if both are set to false at the same time that this would not work either.

I did not try the AutoPlay Toggle addon yet.

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-03-17, 06:56

extra_D_string wrote:
adesh wrote:You can modify media settings to disable autoplay. To disable autoplay, you have to go to about:config, search for "autoplay" and change the listed preferences to "false" (double-click will toggle). Of note: these settings apply to all tabs, not just background ones.
Disabling either of these two flags (but not both at same time) did not work. I ASSUME that if both are set to false at the same time that this would not work either.

I did not try the AutoPlay Toggle addon yet.
Okay just tried that addon and it does not work either.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-03-17, 17:02

extra_D_string wrote:Disabling either of these two flags (but not both at same time) did not work. I ASSUME that if both are set to false at the same time that this would not work either.
Regarding these two settings: 1) media.autoplay.allowscripted = false and 2) media.autoplay.enabled = false

Whether one or both must be disabled varies from site to site.
(And there are a few sites where these settings don't work well, but in my experience they do work on YouTube.)

For YT, both settings must be false to disable autoplay. If they are set to false, no tabs (including foreground tab) should autoplay on YT. I know it works for me.
(The Autoplay Toggle extension by the way, which you said you've tried (unsuccessfully), does toggle both settings simultaneously.)

One caveat in case relevant here, these settings are designed to work on the initial watch page. They don't address autoplay within a playlist.
extra_D_string wrote:...if I sequencially open each desired video as a new tab and keep the tab in background instead of becoming the active tab, each of the opened tabs begin loading AND PLAYING all at once, at the same time.

Is some way to make these new opened tabs which are opened to the background, WAIT until their tab is taken to the front as active tab, before it plays the video?
There is an additional setting in about:config to specifically disallow autoplay in background tabs.
Default is false. Change it to True.

Code: Select all

media.block-play-until-visible

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-03-18, 04:48

Code: Select all
media.block-play-until-visible
The flag set to TRUE is a winner.
Thanks.

Note that I have not yet tried those other first two flags set true at the same time yet. Just that the media.block-play-until-visible seems to work just the way I want(ed).
Last edited by extra_D_string on 2018-03-18, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-07-15, 07:34

Recently posted this:
I found an answer to this, or an answer to a similar question which I might not have exactly asked.

Open a youtube page, and then open several different tabs of different YouTube videos. All inactive tabs are staying quiet, which is good.

Tools > Preferences > Content(tab) ; look for "Enable Media Source Extensios" ; Make checkmark in box. REMOVE checkmarks in "Use MSE asynchronously" and "Enable MSE for MP4 video".

What this does is allows any tab to be picked and if that video was stopped, it stays stopped; and then any video not yet started will start.

I may need to make this a separate topic but not sure yet about this. The setting seems useful in controlling which tabs should and should not be playing their videos.
but I was wrong. I just found, even with that changed setting, IF a video had reached the end, and then that tab is brought back into focus, the video then will start playing again from the beginning.
Last edited by extra_D_string on 2018-07-15, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.