video problem in Facebook

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
nkossmd

video problem in Facebook

Unread post by nkossmd » 2018-03-16, 07:04

When I try to run a video posting in FB by clicking the triangle, it blacks out, but then returns to the same screen without ever running the video. I'm new to Pale Moon...is there something I need to do to get these videos to work? You Tube videos on the You Tube site work fine.

lyceus

Re: video problem in Facebook

Unread post by lyceus » 2018-03-19, 08:00

Hello!

Please check if you don't use an adblocker and blocked some content of Facebook. Or check if you have video codecs for see that video, often Twitter and Facebook recode the videos in some esoteric codecs for "protect" them. K-like or another decent video pack can cut the cheese if is this the case.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-03-19, 13:52

Are you blocking scripts with something like NoScript? Facebook videos play just fine for my wife (I don't do Facebook myself).
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-03-19, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

nkossmd

Unread post by nkossmd » 2018-03-19, 18:09

I do not use a script blocker. I have no problem seeing the videos in other browsers, which do not seem to need any special codecs. And no ad blocker is currently active.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-03-20, 13:22

What's your OS and version of PM?

If OS is Windows 10, see here.

If the above doesn't apply, see here and here.

I don't use FB but I just checked it on a friends page with PM and videos seem to work fine using default PM settings.
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-03-20, 14:32, edited 30 times in total.

nkossmd

Unread post by nkossmd » 2018-03-20, 18:10

Thanks...I will try your suggestions and report back...

nkossmd

Unread post by nkossmd » 2018-03-20, 19:04

I found and uninstalled the MPEG2VideoExtension and that seemed to do it...thanks!!

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-03-20, 19:23

nkossmd wrote:I found and uninstalled the MPEG2VideoExtension and that seemed to do it...thanks!!
You're welcome!
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-03-20, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

IanDSamson

Unread post by IanDSamson » 2018-05-18, 10:01

Videos don't play in Facebook, even with restart in safe mode with options checked - reset all user preferences - Windows Vista Ultimate x64 - Pale Moon 27.9.1 x64 - click play icon, circle shows activity, returns to play icon. I don't have this problem in Pale Moon for Linux. Fortunately I am rarely in Windows these days, but have to be due to recording software that doesn't work in Linux.
Attachments
PM Videos dont play even in safe mode.jpg

IanDSamson

Unread post by IanDSamson » 2018-05-18, 10:03

oh no, how do I return to my user preferences once they're reset? PM restarted as safe mode, no user preferences, no tabs, nothing. How do I get back to before I reset all the options? Or do I have to start from scratch again? Import all my tab URLs from somewhere?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-05-18, 12:00

Time for an update to your operating system ian.Best advice i can provide at the moment.I use linux and see no issues with most videos.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1