Passwors won't stick to Password Manager - forgets randomly

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Mi5terdavoe

Passwors won't stick to Password Manager - forgets randomly

Unread post by Mi5terdavoe » 2018-03-16, 02:24

This has only started happening over the past month:
I have a main account, and 4 sub-accounts. Rarely a problem until recently, when every time I start Pale Moon it would require me to enter a password for one or two of the accounts. I enter them, maybe I'm good for the whole session, but maybe I refresh Pale Moon to gather all mail again, and it's forgotten one or two other account passwords. Sometimes this happens to me over and over.

Even if I finally get all my mail, I will exit Pale Moon...and a popup appears behind the exited program, telling me I'll have to enter yet another account's password -
BUT, when I click on it to find out which account and to enter it, the popup disappears. I try shrinking the window slightly so perhaps I can see the popup behind it before I exit, BUT it doesn't actually reappear UNTIL I exit Pale Moon.

As I said, this is only happening in the past few weeks, nearly a month ago. It's performed well for me for years, no issues.

(Incidentally, I tried several times to log-into this board tonight...but the board would not accept the password! I know the password was correct, because when I change them I always e-mail it to a separate folder with my other password hints. So I have to re-register to get in and post this question).

tlaloc77
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Passwors won't stick to Password Manager - forgets randomly

Unread post by tlaloc77 » 2018-03-16, 09:56

Since last month... "me too", sort of: The login page in question requires 3 fields to be filled and the first one is now empty and the browser doesn't ask me whether I want to remember the content. I can select a value for the second field and the 3rd field (the password) is then filled automatically. But some time ago I could also select a value for the first field.

I'm still using Pale Moon 27.7.2, so... coldly considered, it shouldn't be something that was brought in with an update, rather something was changed outside of an browser update. Thinking about it, could an update of an add-on be the cause?

Edit 1: Is there a way to get a list of all add-ons as text that I can copy & paste here with the mouse?

Edit 2: The active ones I have are:
About Add-ons 1.1
All Menus Button 1.1.3.1-signed
Compact Moon Options 2.0.1
Cookies Exterminators 2.9.0
Dismiss The Overlay 1.0.3
DOM Inspector 2.0.16.1-signed
MozArchiver 1.0.2
NetVideoHunter 1.20
NoScript 5.0.6
Pale Moon Commander 2.0.2
Remove It Permanently 1.0.6.10.1-signed.1-signed
Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.4
Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1-signed.1-signed
uBlock Origin 1.13.8

Edit 3: Appearance/Theme: Compact Moon 2.0.0
No plugins
Last edited by tlaloc77 on 2018-03-16, 10:30, edited 3 times in total.

tlaloc77
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Passwors won't stick to Password Manager - forgets randomly

Unread post by tlaloc77 » 2018-03-17, 13:57

Update: Today I clicked around the first of the three fields and suddenly the missing list of entries appeared. No idea what to think about that. Since I don't need to do that with the 2nd field and didn't need to do that some time ago for the first field either, I still rather believe that "something" changed instead of this being a case of PEBCAK. But I thought I should tell you just in case. (But also, as JustOff already mentioned somewhere else, we must not forget about cars appearing to be allergic to vanilla ice cream. And whatnot..)

Edit: I'm sorry for any distraction! Better don't click the striked-out link if you value your time! There be dragons (of stories)!
Last edited by tlaloc77 on 2018-03-17, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.