Pale Moon has problems interfacing with Yahoo Mail web page Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Pale Moon has problems interfacing with Yahoo Mail web page

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-02-24, 23:34

Yahoo Mail in Pale Moon does not list all messages (in this case just the most recent 10 messages out of a total of ~594) and the Yahoo "Settings" button does not respond (tested using Safe Mode)
(using the default general.useragent.override.yahoo.com set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 (Pale Moon))
Screen-shot of Yahoo account in Pale Moon (only the 10 most recent messages are listed):
Only the top 10 most recent messages get listed (Settings button does not respond).
Only the top 10 most recent messages get listed (Settings button does not respond).
In Basilisk all messages are listed (~594) and the Yahoo "Settings" button does work.
Screen-shot of Yahoo account in Basilisk with interface scrolled down to display the oldest messages dating back to the year 2008:
All messages get listed (scrolled down to bottom of message list) and Settings button does respond.
All messages get listed (scrolled down to bottom of message list) and Settings button does respond.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-02-24, 23:45, edited 4 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Pale Moon has problems interfacing with Yahoo Mail web page

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-02-24, 23:40

Settings button works with Pale Moon unstable and this user agent used on Yahoo.com:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/603.3.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.2 Safari/603.3.8

About the issue with the mails not showing - i can neither confirm or not confirm it as i have recently cleaned up all emails and only a handful are inside right now, also is that mailbox of mine more or less defunct ;)

Btw. as the future of Yahoo is anyway not 100% secure as i believe, Hotmail offers a much better support and you have a nice cloud storage too ;)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-02-25, 00:00

Works in Pale Moon 27.7.2 (stable) as well as a result of using the UA Override you posted (also the settings button works as well).

So apparently the general.useragent.override.yahoo.com set to the current default Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 (Pale Moon) no longer gets the job done.

... rather the general.useragent.override.yahoo.com needs to be: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/603.3.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.2 Safari/603.3.8.

Thanks for the feedback! :thumbup:
Off-topic:
I'm with you regarding Yahoo Mail (it's really gotten terrible over the past year), I only use it because my wife still wants to keep using her two Yahoo accounts. I totally agree with you and prefer Outlook.com (Hotmail) Email far more than Yahoo Mail (I won't use Gmail, even though admittedly it interfaces well -- stay away for other reasons than performance).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-02-25, 00:10

Theoretically the usage of a pure Pale Moon/pure Firefox user agent is still way recommended instead of using that so called non-native ones ;)

Try out if that one works as well - could also be that Yahoo is not liking the Pale Moon addition at the end.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-02-25, 00:25

Nope, tried: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 but only got the 10 most recent messages again.

Went back to Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/603.3.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.2 Safari/603.3.8 and once again all messages get rendered.

Kind of odd that it takes an APPLE UA Override for Yahoo Mail to work properly in Pale Moon. :crazy: (never would have guessed it)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-02-25, 00:27, edited 2 times in total.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2018-02-25, 00:51

Kind of odd that it takes an APPLE UA Override for Yahoo Mail to work properly in Pale Moon. :crazy:
Well I guess an apple a day doesn't keep Yahoo away.. :)
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Tony0945

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2018-08-27, 12:34

I just ran into this problem on finance.yahoo.com today. Amazingly that string including "(KHTML, like Gecko)" works!
What is yahoo thinking? Only Mac's use their site?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-27, 13:21

Sajadi wrote:Btw. as the future of Yahoo is anyway not 100% secure as i believe, Hotmail offers a much better support and you have a nice cloud storage too ;)
Off-topic:
Hotmail isn't as good as it once was since Microsoft bought Hotmail and one has to go through Outlook.com to get to their Hotmail email account. At one time, Microsoft stated it didn't read people's emails. But, Microsoft is now reading everyone's Hotmail emails. How do I know? Simple. I got two emails last week in my Hotmail emails.

One email was from my credit card company telling me my monthly statement was ready and it had exact amount of money I was going to be sending them when I got my statement via snail mail so my credit card company was telling me to be on the lookout for it in my street mailbox.

The other email was from Microsoft telling me about a new "feature" where they were going to put my important appointments and other stuff in their Calendar automatically which one gets in Hotmail. The only problem, Microsoft sent me an example of how the Calendar would look and when I looked at the sample Calendar, it had the "EXACT" dollar amount (right to the penny amount) in the Calendar and the latest date the amount would considered not late.

I went into the options for the Calendar and quickly disabled everything for the Calendar. Since I was then in a foul mood, since the email had a feedback option, I sent a "not so polite" message to whoever at Microsoft thought this would be a good idea. I sent the feedback to whoever was in charge of this new feature telling Microsoft I didn't like having my emails being read by anyone at Microsoft. I also told Microsoft, whoever thought this idea was good one, to shove this idea up his/her backside where the sun doesn't shine and when it could not be shoved any further, shove it some more for good measure.

Once a week, I check the Calendar since I don't trust Microsoft to honor those settings which I disabled for the Calendar in my personalized Hotmail email account settings. And I made sure to alert my friends to not put anything important in their emails to me. I do the same when I send an outgoing email from me using Hotmail.

Needless to say, I didn't get a reply email from Microsoft concerning my email and the new Calendar feature.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

wyxchari

Unread post by wyxchari » 2018-08-31, 16:10

Optimized:
about:config
general.useragent.override.yahoo.com
Just add at end: Version/10.1.2 Safari/603.3.8

Tony0945

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2018-09-01, 12:45

Night Wing, all the "free" e-mail services read your e-mail. They are not a charity. They read your mail and sell your data. Read the license agreement.
For privacy, you need a paid e-mail service or your own domain (that's what I have). I'm still using yahoo and aol for non-financial stuff, but my bank, credit card banks, and broker communicate with me via my own e-mail server (actually my paid hosting companies server). I read it with Thunderbird. I had switched to Fossamail, but sadly returned to Thunderbird when Fossamail development was dropped. {Moonchild: I'd be glad to subscribe to development if you resurrected it. Or would that violate the Mozilla license?}