No Sound streaming CNN & MSNBC

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
spinme

Re: No Sound streaming CNN & MSNBC

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-24, 14:16

Moonraker,
In this situation i would not trust the hard drive.I would buy a new drive and start from scratch again.my opinion fwiw.
You flatland folk better be ready for Monday onward wind & snowdrifts, us hill folk been sliding on icedrifts already without the snow.
Last edited by spinme on 2018-02-24, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-02-24, 15:18

You flatland folk better be ready for Monday onward wind & snowdrifts, us hill folk been sliding on icedrifts already without the snow.
Off-topic:
Us carrot crunchers are ready for anything lol. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-24, 21:31

spinme wrote:Poor wording by me... oops
Backup all your profiles as detailed below via FEBE on your master drive, sounds like you only have one. Is this correct???"
When I start PM I get a little window "Pale Moon - Choose user profile" and select one of several profiles to use. Browsing, Shopping, Test each with different Addons.
I think your PM loads immediately for you cos there is only one choice. Is this correct?
Nuthin but net. i am the only keeper of the mobo and the i7 CPU and all the periphperals. I have only one pPM profile.
When you launch PC and have chosen which drive to use Windows may offer you a further choice of User login name. Perhaps one or two for yourself or one for someone else. [Or choice Admin & one for yourself] Each of these if it they exist may have a separate profile in PM.
This system is not PW protected. I am the only one who uses it. Again, way I have it set up, when I power on, after POST, & my bios settings, MY DUAL BOOT screen appears and I have it set set on auto to boot into my SDD after 10 10 secs. I keep it pragmatic.
Since you have not mentioned these choices, I think Windows is not giving you a choice and it loads straight away. Is this correct?
See above re the chronology I have set.
If the answer to both these questions is yes we can proceed. Even if no we can proceed by using the single backup but we will need further infos suggest via forum private message rather than here. And you have the choice to do other backups.
Your backup drive has a complete older version of PM & profile, I don't think me need consider doing a backup there for now.
I did backups. as per the screenie and report I uploaded, but would have to do one just before uninstalling, cause I add bookmarks often. Not to toolbar, to menu.

D
oes this look normal? - Yes
I like the WOOOSH sound it makes. - Good
EXCEPT no sound streaming MSNBC and CNN, yes? - Yes
Thank goodness, OMG.
IMPORTANT
You did not confirm you had moved a copy of the FEBE backup folder to somewhere else off of the drive.
Please confirm that the FEBE backup folder is somewhere in Documents folder or somewhere else it won't be deleted when you uninstall PM !!!
Cause I didn't. Is why. I will burn a copy to a CD RW. Hate to waste good Verbatim media. As I shared, the backup folder is on my DESKTOP. Named PM BACKUP. I like As the crow flies.

How do we know that what got messed up by the insect isn't in my BACKUP? How do we know what level of code got corrupted for audio on the two sites in question? I know....how high is up? But knowledge is power. Gotta chase the data. All of them.

TY so much for all this help!!!

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-24, 21:37

Moonraker wrote:In this situation i would not trust the hard drive.I would buy a new drive and start from scratch again.my opinion fwiw.
PLEASE Elaborate! What drive are you referring to? Surely not either my SDD or my backup spinner. I am so confused by the above!

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-24, 22:22

Addendum: Please indulge what may be my paranoia in this. Does anyone know at what level of code, or what element within PM got corrupted? Cause, I am worried that my backup might contain the corruption.

TY.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-24, 23:14

As I shared, the backup folder is on my DESKTOP. Named PM BACKUP. I like As the crow flies.
Darn it, I missed that. I read through a few times.

You have an unusual setup, not a bad thing, but I didn't want to screw up by failing to understand. Eg by not asking the the right questions.
How do we know that what got messed up by the insect isn't in my BACKUP?
I don't :geek: However there are several ways we could have proceeded. Most quicker..... but with greater risk of you needing to reinstall things. At the end of day, I would asking the same questions and you would like to ask exactly what is & why. And being different time zones doesn't help'.
How do we know what level of code got corrupted for audio on the two sites in question? I know....how high is up? But knowledge is power. Gotta chase the data. All of them.
LOL, we won't know! But you will have more confidence & tools if you ever get a problem again.

HOWEVER less talk and more fixing.

It will be a good idea to disable all your extensions NOW. After PM reinstall - Check for sound being mended before turning them on again.
Please go ahead and uninstall and reinstall PM. The website should detect the type of PM to download.
We are keeping your current profile - so DO NOT tick the box that will delete it.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-24, 23:29

Addendum: Please indulge what may be my paranoia in this. Does anyone know at what level of code, or what element within PM got corrupted? Cause, I am worried that my backup might contain the corruption.
It might, it might not! That is why I ask you to disable all your extensions NOW. After PM reinstall - Check for sound being mended before turning them on again.

If the PM reinstall works your question won't matter. It is also the reason why I make such a fuss to keep backup safe should the PM reinstall fail.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-24, 23:53

Off-topic:
Moonraker wrote:
In this situation i would not trust the hard drive.I would buy a new drive and start from scratch again.my opinion fwiw.
PLEASE Elaborate! What drive are you referring to? Surely not either my SDD or my backup spinner. I am so confused by the above!
I believe Moonraker was making fun of me for being extra cautious in preserving the backup.
It appeared I behaved that I expected the drive to breakdown - the backup won't help if the master drive dead
[but I wanted backup safe to update the backup drive as well!]

Thus I just told an off-topic "where you live" joke in return. {a variation on the old "We know where you live - be prepared" threat!]
& reply
Off-topic:
Moonraker wrote:

Us carrot crunchers are ready for anything lol. :D
Last edited by spinme on 2018-02-25, 00:44, edited 4 times in total.

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-25, 06:43

spinme wrote:Moonraker,
I LUV SNOW! I LIVE FOR SNOW!!!

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-25, 06:54

spinme wrote:
It might, it might not! That is why I ask you to disable all your extensions NOW. After PM reinstall - Check for sound being mended before turning them on again.

If the PM reinstall works your question won't matter. It is also the reason why I make such a fuss to keep backup safe should the PM reinstall fail.
K.....I heah you. I have very few, I try to keep them down. i like speed. But, I can't live without my Lavafox red. Hadda first install Stylish to install it. The PM backup folder on my desktop ain't goin nowhere. Believe it.

Just came in, need sleep. Must do this when I am slept.

PS: I even got and ran a rootkit detection app. Might even run Who Crashed? Cept would have to get a new copy. All my scans come up clean. Thought I saw something off in Highjack This, but am too tired to know for sure.

TY for your ongoing help!!!! Pity the guy or girl who gets paid to help at the antiransomware app does not have an actual brain.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-25, 17:00

Meerkat,

NO! NO! NO! STOP!
================

You are risking everything we have done! And are doing to fix PM!

I'm happy to help and continue but please stop doing your own thing.
I don't mind you asking questions if it helps you follow along.
I've been worried and done the same double checks in the past myself, so I understand.

I'll have a thought and give you new instructions for reinstall PM without my intended shortcut,,,,,,

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-25, 20:00

Meerkat,

Please download and install this simple tool. http://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml

Follow the backuptool instructions & make a backup,
Note: Please close Pale Moon before attempting to backup/restore your profiles. Not doing so may cause an incomplete backup, corrupt data or give errors.
Make "restore point" but remember it ignores user userdata such as profiles stored in the expected Windows reserved userdata area.

When doing uninstall/install PM ignore my previous instruction and this time DO TICK "Remove my PaleMoon personal data and customizations."
Next uninstall PM
Reboot Windows
live install PM from http://www.palemoon.org/
DO NOT install anything at all!
Exit PM and use backuptool to make another backup labeled "new empty profile"

Load PM & Check if the websites now stream correctly.
If streaming still won't work you may need to go preferences > content > video to check settings
If all is OK then use FEBE to restore each of your saved profile files one at a time & recheck sound works each time.
If all good cheer!

If problems start due possible damaged profile then ¬
Exit PM and use backuptool to load backup labeled "new empty profile" and replace the existing profile
Load PM and use FEBE to load all backup files ignoring the corupted file.
If streaming still won't work you may need to go preferences > content > video to check settings
If all good cheer!

If streaming still bad we may regroup to think, reinstall but ignore the damaged file immediately or think something wrong in Windows OS
Last edited by spinme on 2018-02-25, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-25, 21:35

PS: If you have problems tracking a lockup or error a reminder.

Menu > Help > Restart in Safe Mode > choice of things to disable one at a time
[Troubleshooting Information > Give Pale Moon a tune up > Restart in Safe Mode = choice of things to disable one at a time]

Troubleshooting Information > Give Pale Moon a tune up > Refresh Pale Moon

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-25, 22:49

spinme wrote:Meerkat,

NO! NO! NO! STOP!
================

You are risking everything we have done! And are doing to fix PM!

I'm happy to help and continue but please stop doing your own thing.
I don't mind you asking questions if it helps you follow along.
I've been worried and done the same double checks in the past myself, so I understand.

I'll have a thought and give you new instructions for reinstall PM without my intended shortcut,,,,,,
No offense, but what you call my own thing works very impressively for me. I chase data.....all of them. And, when my instinct tells me to move forth, i.e. replace yr friend's mobo, sometimes immediately...I move. This speaks the reality of my journey, no part of which is capricious, and, every tenet of which I understand. TRUTH.

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-25, 22:52

spinme wrote:PS: If you have problems tracking a lockup or error a reminder.

Menu > Help > Restart in Safe Mode > choice of things to disable one at a time
[Troubleshooting Information > Give Pale Moon a tune up > Restart in Safe Mode = choice of things to disable one at a time]

Troubleshooting Information > Give Pale Moon a tune up > Refresh Pale Moon
One of the first things I did, of course, when immediately after the app caught the insect and the problem appears was booting into Safe Mode to see if the sound on the two sites was restored. It wasn't, of course, but was right to try. . Re your suggestion in this, I feel it's excessive re the disabling.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-26, 01:36

Re your suggestion in this, I feel it's excessive re the disabling.
I agree. I should not second guess myself.
Stick to the original plan reinstall PM with profile data not deleted. If all is OK then update the backup drive PM to your current profile state. :D

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-26, 01:48

FYI: I always uninstall using the singular Revo Uninstaller Pro. Carefully chosen & tested as are all apps are in my case. After uninstalling, you can chose to clean up any and all residue, and with three choices re thoroughness. I always choose advanced. Not sure if it would be right to use in this case, but I think, yes.

Again, please don't assume you are the arbiter of elements of my never arbitrary or cavalier journey in any endeavor. Often, I get clear immediately and move like a Ninja...once in a while questions preclude. I have learned re the results.....all of it is justified.

Witness that you think how I set up this system is strange. What it is, is shrewdly pragmatic.

I even often put my backup spinner drive to SLEEP. Doesn't spin, draw power! I use a genius little German freeware. That drive is asleep right now! THIS: http://revosleep.realspooky.de/

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-26, 12:25

Revo Uninstaller Pro
Yes sounds good :D
Off-topic:
My mini rant earlier was solely due to use of programs that can change file structure without warning. I am triggered by a sensibility from a good while ago before separate AV + Firewall companies were bought up by the Conglomerates in order to place both together Suites. We did quality assurance testing [QA] so I have a residue of strong opinions & of battles about firewalls filtering data stream of email, PGP encryption, DNS and files, automatically removing or subing even whole normal & control characters. Or detection programs making changes to files (so it knows it checked the file) thus destroying standard CRC32 & more advanced integrity checks and poor or silent repairs as I recounted earlier. Thanks I'll take a look http://revosleep.realspooky.de/

Good luck :coffee:

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-27, 01:00

Hey, Spinme:

1) You bet, Revosleep is genius for anyone who chooses to do internal backup in desktop systems! But I doubt I would use if my backup drive were an SDD and not a spinner. I love unearthing genius apps, forget freeware genius apps!

2) I think I need to say, I hope it’s clear how much I appreciate your help in this journey. But, I am very precise in my communication. So, doesn’t it make more senses to ask direct questions before delineating data? i.e., just asking how many profiles someone has in PM---in my case, one---rather than delineating dense data re someone who has more than one?

When I used your precious link to the good version of FEBE, opened it, how it works was clear, I just needed to know if the results looked normal. I shared the specifics of how I set up this system cause I felt it was important for you to know, and would save time.

3) Within every software category there’s good and bad, of course. I adore good IS apps, because every element is written to work in perfect harmony with every other element.

4) Again my current dilemma is should I use my Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall PM? I own it because of how thorough it is, and again, we can choose just how thorough a cleanup to do. I don’t get the need, as you delineated in detail, to delete add ons etc, before uninstalling. Forget, in Safe Mode. Found this: https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_un ... =Pale+Moon

5) By the by, as I shared, I am running W7 64-bit….so I am running Pale Moon, 64-bit. My board maxes out at more more, but I installed 8 GBs of DDR 3, plenty for me, so running 64 bit PM is no problem.

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-27, 02:12

DISGUSTING UPDATE ALERT!!!

Well, I have a very disgusting update to report. After doing new PM backup to restore, and then, using my Revo uninstaller Pro, I uninstalled PM, cleaned up all the residue using Revo.

I then downloaded a new 64-bit copy of PM and installed it. Before doing anything else, I right off tried to stream CNN, SAME DEAL: normal video NO SOUND!!! Sound, normal elswhere. While I am writing from my new, no frills new PM... I couldn't even use my normal data to log in HERE! I hadda hadda ask for, get, and and use a new PW. BLECH.

So...do we now think the insect the antiransomware caught, messed up a Windows file? Meaning I gotta do a repair install of Windows?

Truth is, I am not surprised. Nauseated, but, not surprised.

I think I will get FEBE and restore my stuff ....until I get clear on what I need to do to next.
****************************************************************************************
Update in this new phase of the PMS:

So, took me a while to get it, I am entirely calm, cause I did fear uninstalling and reinstalling PM wouldn't restore the sound streaming those two sites.....managed to use the FEBE backup I made just before I uninstalled to restore most stuff. I think.

Now strikes me, I might have been unfair to the tech person at the app who responded to my cry for help. Maybe he or she actually GOT the insect messed up a Windows file before the insect was killed! If so, I feel terrible. Not that I would ever need to take a system anywhere to fix anything amiss!

It's a JOURNEY. And, always......a LEARNING EXPERIENCE.
****************************************************************************************

Another update:

So, Ok I managed to restore everything in my fresh but still corrupt PM from my backup.....had terrible time restoring PM opening in about blank---sorry, I get why new homepage is there, but, hey. But I got it done.

So then, I did the logical next thing, I ran sfc. It said, we don't find anything messed up/missing in yr system files. Yeah. And tomorrow, the pope is getting married. IT didn't say that, I just did.

I am, as always....HANGING IN and not giving up. I am going to put this right no matter WHAT.
Last edited by Meerkat on 2018-02-27, 06:06, edited 5 times in total.