No Sound streaming CNN & MSNBC

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Meerkat

No Sound streaming CNN & MSNBC

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-17, 02:44

Hi, Savvy Helpers!

I am enduring a head exploding issue in PM, my beloved default browser for years. I've been running Cybereason Ransomware Free for some time, having seen its excellent reviews. Other day, for first time, it notified me it had trapped an intruder trying to encrypt my files. I naturally agreed to kill it. Thereafter, I suddenly got no sound streaming either CNN or MSNBC in PM. Sound elsewhere in PM is perfectly normal. I am now relegated to streaming these in the hated IE. I am running W7 64-bit, system is full patched and, until other day, CLEAN and perfectly healthy.

TY for any help you can offer!!!

Meerkat

Fedor2

Re: No Sound streaming CNN & MSNBC

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-02-17, 17:28

Suppose your ransomware broke something, uninstall it and try without it again, also try with clean profile.

By the way how did you know that someone wanted encrypt your files?

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-18, 01:33

Fedor2 wrote:Suppose your ransomware broke something, uninstall it and try without it again, also try with clean profile.

By the way how did you know that someone wanted encrypt your files?
Hi, Fedor...

Happy I at least got one reply! Re how did I KNOW? I shared in my original post: The app delivered a pop up SAYING! And, I've already tried uninstalling the anti ransomware app. No change. So, I installed a new copy. And, there is no option the interface to locate any quarantine, or undo any changes the app makes. I used their contact button online and reported all of this.... but no response.

Any further thoughts? Never had a puter issue I couldn't troubleshoot and fix, Software, hardware. UNTIL THIS.

Meerkat

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-18, 03:57

Update: I use internal back up in this system with dual boot: an SDD I most often boot into, and a WD spinner for a backup. When I remember, I do new clone of the SDD to the spinner to keep it up to date, but haven’t for a long while.

I just did experiment knowing the logical outcome. I booted into the spinner---forgot how slow it is compared with my SSD, OMG---opened Pale Moon and streamed CNN with normal audio.

If I did the cloning more often, I could clone the spinner to my SDD. But I don’t, so this was all just stupid. :oops:

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-18, 05:19

Glad it worked out.

For info if you don't use FEBE extension for backing up profiles it's been updated for PM. FEBE v10.2 - 12/18/17 - Fix for backing up/restoring permissions.
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/febe/

I'd not trust any program to outsmart an attacker with a generic repair - it might miss something or make things worse.
My choice: Backup & use a different codebase - antivirus provider free single use 2nd opinion download [normal antivirus disabled] to get confirmation

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-20, 22:10

spinme wrote:Glad it worked out.

For info if you don't use FEBE extension for backing up profiles it's been updated for PM. FEBE v10.2 - 12/18/17 - Fix for backing up/restoring permissions.
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/febe/

I'd not trust any program to outsmart an attacker with a generic repair - it might miss something or make things worse.
My choice: Backup & use a different codebase - antivirus provider free single use 2nd opinion download [normal antivirus disabled] to get confirmation
Hi, Spimme.

First, it SO did NOT WORK OUT!!! I thought I was being clear re what booting into into my backup drive confirmed, and, that it was stupid. Next, this system is completely, intelligently protected: I run Comodo IS, fab detection rates, excellent database, I also scan with
both MBAM and Syperantispy every day.

NOW, Talk about LITTLE ME NOT Being UNDERSTOOD....just found response from someone at the antiransomeware place, and, given he or she, incredibly, miss what I reported accurately, it was worthless. Going to post both that mail and my response, am redacting my personal info. I can almost not believe this human's response, OMG.

As for the app itself, it's excellent...via reviews from every reputable source, no current IS precludes Ransomware on the level this app does.

TY for your input & the right route to using back up/restoring permissions. It seems I nee to uninstall PM and do a clean install and hope I can restore as much as possible.
****************************************************************************************
To:support Details
Hi, AWS:

TY for the response, but I am precise: the sound in this system, as I SHARED, is normal......except, immediately after yr app caught something, when I try to stream either MSNC or, CNN IN MY DEFUALT BROWSER, Pale Moon. I can stream both normally in IE, and everything else in PM is normal.

I am disappointed you didn't get the data I offered accurately. Nothing else is wrong with this system.

Might you pass this up to someone else? Someone who gets the problem accurately and maybe can offer some worthwhile input?

-----Original Message-----
>
Sent: Tue, Feb 20, 2018 1:47 pm
Subject: RE: RansomFree Contact Us from

Hello

This is Aws from the Cybereason Support team and I apologize about the delay.

It sounds like our Application "RansomFree" did stop a harmful ransomeware from causing any further damages to your machine. However it's unrelated to why you lost the sound on your machine. The software is designed to attack and block any foreign or malicious files which wasn't part of your machine.

We recommend getting in touch with your local computer shop that might be able to assist you further with that issue.

Kind regards,

Aws Aws
Support Engineer

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 2/15/2018 5:11 PM
To: rf-support@cybereason.com

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-21, 23:19

Meerkat,
First, it SO did NOT WORK OUT
Ah! I thought you were happy to have a working PM on the backup drive (though pissed it was not recent).
You would then be able to clone ONLY the working PM and Registry settings across to the master drive or better choice reinstall PM and replace profiles.

The info on FEBE extension for backing up profiles was included in order to offer a good alternative method to create a profile clone and install it on the master drive with a new PM install. FEBE offers auto & incremental backups.
spinme wrote:
I'd not trust any program to outsmart an attacker with a generic repair it might miss something or make things worse.
I apologise for a few lines explaining the above getting cut off the end of the message during my final edit that may have got a different reply. However I have difficulty with your reply because I said nothing bad about ANY of your detection software in what I did publish. Most antivirus discourses suggest getting a second & third opinions for confirmation. Confirmation might not be immediate but few hours later if the installed software is first to detect or a false detection is indicated.

Second, there is a war going on and antivirus folk are admitting to losing. A virus can hide multiple different payloads but a generic repair can only remove what it expects to find. Worse more modern methods to find payloads can identify & delete/damage critical files sometimes without warning.
IMHO a repair gives time to do a last data only backup. Then a prepared default restore gives confidence nothing bad remains.

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-22, 02:47

spinme wrote:Meerkat,
First, it SO did NOT WORK OUT
Ah! I thought you were happy to have a working PM on the backup drive (though pissed it was not recent).
You would then be able to clone ONLY the working PM and Registry settings across to the master drive or better choice reinstall PM and replace profiles.

The info on FEBE extension for backing up profiles was included in order to offer a good alternative method to create a profile clone and install it on the master drive with a new PM install. FEBE offers auto & incremental backups.
spinme wrote:
I'd not trust any program to outsmart an attacker with a generic repair it might miss something or make things worse.
I apologise for a few lines explaining the above getting cut off the end of the message during my final edit that may have got a different reply. However I have difficulty with your reply because I said nothing bad about ANY of your detection software in what I did publish. Most antivirus discourses suggest getting a second & third opinions for confirmation. Confirmation might not be immediate but few hours later if the installed software is first to detect or a false detection is indicated.

Second, there is a war going on and antivirus folk are admitting to losing. A virus can hide multiple different payloads but a generic repair can only remove what it expects to find. Worse more modern methods to find payloads can identify & delete/damage critical files sometimes without warning.
IMHO a repair gives time to do a last data only backup. Then a prepared default restore gives confidence nothing bad remains.
Hi Again!

First, I DO, of course, have working copy of PM on my backup drive! Outdated re personal data, but normal. It's just I can't reverse clone individual files to my SDD, only the entire contents.

As for AVs, nobody runs more than one! Again this insect this app picked up is the ONLY INTRUDER I've ever had! I get the usual tracking cookies and adware, I delete both before I shut this system down every day.I repair infected systems of friends who refuse to learn.... but, I've never had an infection.

Meanwhile, I got another OMG! YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS! mail from the being at Cybereason. Only sane part was, at the end, he suggested I do clean install of PM.

I will paste THIS STUNNING DRIVEL;

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your feedback and please allow me to elaborate on your additional questions.

It's very clear from your own troubleshooting that you did indeed isolated the issue to one browser rather than the whole machine. Additionally regarding the other details that you mentioned in your previous email, it's very unrelated to RansomFree. The main reason why I recommended an actual Computer Shop because we don't offer any such services.

Furthermore I'd recommend re-installing Pale Moon which will fix any issues that occurred.

Kind regards,

Aws Aws
Support Engineer

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-22, 03:19

Hi, again.....

I am having a total PMS interval re this mess.

I used the link you provided and got the FEBE, installed it, configured it, RAN IT. It got suck at 6.6% I waited and waited. It stayed stuck. ANY THOUGHTS??? Made a screenie but see no option to upload it.

TY, I am streaming MSNBC in the hated IE, my only current option to stream it..... and I am disgusted.
*******************************************************************************************

HOLD IT! :clap: Just ran my new FEBE again it worked in under a second! Opened folder and it appears everything I asked to be there is there! Still nervous to uninstall PM and download new copy and install it, never having used FEBE, nervous about it working. i.e., Clearly I did the backup on the messed up copy. So, if i do clean install of PM and restore my data, those data will include the damage re the no audio on the two sites, yes?
Last edited by Meerkat on 2018-02-22, 03:34, edited 2 times in total.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-22, 18:59

hi Meerkat,
It's just I can't reverse clone individual files to my SDD, only the entire contents.
If we're lucky given that you appear to have few extensions/themes installed we can save most or all personal data & the backup drive might be avoided. Better still if the PM reinstall works straight away without even touching PaleMoon personal data and customizations. Customizations will be awkward if you have a lot of extensions/themes installed.
But it's useful for you to know that to share FEBE backups you have a common HD, USB removable HD, memory card, USB memory stick or CD/DVD that are usable by both. Or web secure dropsite. Or even copy files to mobile and back out via WiFi/Bluetooth. LOL
As for AVs, nobody runs more than one!
Agreed, two will likely collide or bring PC to a halt. That's why I indicated disable installed AV & use a single use AV from another company designed not to trip over an already installed AV.
Thank you for your feedback and please ,,,,,
LOL IME that's as good as it gets! I'm still fighting a big company to have them talk to one of their subcontractors about an unfinished project I'm not involved.

I've almost finished a procedure for PM reinstall/FEBE recovery - call back later....

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-22, 23:52

spinme wrote:hi Meerkat,

But it's useful for you to know that to share FEBE backups you have a common HD, USB removable HD, memory card, USB memory stick or CD/DVD that are usable by both. Or web secure dropsite. Or even copy files to mobile and back out via WiFi/Bluetooth. LOL

For me, easiest way would be to use my optical drive and burn the folder to a CD. It's I try to keep my add ons to a minimum....but I couldn't live without my lavasoft red. But i do have tons of bookmarks and my toolbar is full. Forget, my stored PWs.
As for AVs, nobody runs more than one!
Agreed, two will likely collide or bring PC to a halt. That's why I indicated disable installed AV & use a single use AV from another company designed not to trip over an already installed AV.

A given. Nobody with even marginal, puter savvy runs more than one AV, or, my preference an IS.

Thank you for your feedback and please ,,,,,
LOL IME that's as good as it gets! I'm still fighting a big company to have them talk to one of their subcontractors about an unfinished project I'm not involved.

I've almost finished a procedure for PM reinstall/FEBE recovery - call back later....
WOW. That.....would be HUGE! Still reeling re the abject stupidity of that "tech" being at the app

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-23, 02:10

Just struck me, Windows has repair install option! Only once hadda use it, but it's well written.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-23, 09:47

Meerkat,

Sorry this is taking so long - I got called away again, the ice doesn't help transport wise..
Just struck me, Windows has repair install option! Only once hadda use it, but it's well written.
Unfortunately it is a very broad brush that despite claims about not touching user data can "in practice" paint over anything including user data. Great to wind back collect something and wind forward again undoing any damage done by winding back. Or back for just a few hours.

Must not get distracted.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-23, 11:51

Meerkat says ..Still nervous to uninstall PM and download new copy and install it, never having used FEBE, nervous about it working.
It's all about confidence, software is designed to be installed by non-experts. Things work out when users don't try to outsmart the software or the developer that designed it. Most software lets you step back a screen or two to correct something or press Cancel and begin again later.

Uninstalling PM & reinstall PM is straight forward + I've used FEBE with Firefox for years.

Plan of action
Stop if you get stuck then start again from the beginning. Shout for help if you are really stuck
Decide if you are going copy messages to a test file, This should not be needed but it is not a good idea to be running IE while doing PM uninstall/install
Check if you need to download PaleMoon 64bit or 32bit - via Menu > Help > About Pale Moon
As you suggested make a restore point.
Backup all your profiles as detailed below via FEBE on your master drive, sounds like you only have one. Is this correct???
Does anyone else have their own profiles or on PM??? These should also a have backup to their own directory/folder while they are logged in.
HOLD IT! :clap: Just ran my new FEBE again it worked in under a second!
A bit too quick but possible on a vfast PC & few addons. However we are going to make new backup in a moment for safety.
FEBE did say wait when it appears inactive or frozen on a big backup 30-45secs is OK! Default abort is normal set 60sec
Yes work with the master drive first - the idea is to have a full profile backup available that can be reinstalled by separate parts as needed.
Separate parts often updated such as bookmarks, passwords...

Hopefully the PM uninstall/install is all that is needed.
My bet is evens that the error is within PM itself or error in the profile.

This list is only long because I'm checking defaults.
[In the future once FEBE is set as you want, perhaps with autosave selected you will seldom need to visit options!]
{This can also ensure you always have backups including the current extensions/themes so don't need a download]

open FEBE options > tab - "Where to backup" > tick - use timestamped directories
down 1 item > set "Maximum backup directories to keep" = 20 or more, can be lowered to default = 3 or increased later (I don't want your data ovewriten!)
down 1 item > leave unticked - we don't want to delete our hard work.
Move to tab - "What to backup" > tab - "Backup type" > set as "both"
down 1 item > left "Backup items" - tick both > right "Additional items" - press "Select all" button
Move to right tab - "Ignore list" > button - "Get list" > button - "Deselect all" > button - "Select all incompatible" > button - "Save changes" - dismiss saved popup
Move to tab - "How to backup" & Agree to a possible popup - "userChrome" not exist error
Check that "Display results page" is ticked & "detail" selected > also that "Save results page with backup" is ticked
close options

Do backup now!
Expect 3 or more popup file not exist errors - we selected to save everything so if no password or search file etc there's an error.
For today dismiss the warning DO NOT agree to add error to the ignore list.
Do a second backup

The files saved should agree with the Displayed results page & include the Additional items ticked in.FEBE
Copy the FEBE backups to USB drive or removable HD or other.

Repeat for other profiles by logging into them, use a different FEBE destination for each profile but using the same settings above.

Done
If all OK, We are going to reinstall PM shortly with your existing PM data to see if this repaired the sound

Next the PM reinstall - DO NOT tick "Remove my PaleMoon personal data and customizations."

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-24, 01:43

Many thanks for this VOLUMINOUS, GINORMOUS offering!

This is the first time I've been nervous about anything puter related in my life. Truth.

So, I still don't see an option here to upload a screenie, so will try to paste contents of my PM backup folder which is sitting on my desktop sayin..."So. do you plan to use me, or WHAT?'

Sigh. it won't paste. Let me try image hosting site.

https://imgur.com/a/V8OVk

K, that worked. looks normal, right? The backup I did? Have to make a new one anyhow, cause I have more bookmarks how.
***********************************************************************************
Addendum: my maybe irrational fear is, this insect that app caught messed up PM reg keys. Not sure if the backup contains anything reg related or not. But, if I uninstall, I would deleted existing Moonchild reg keys.
Last edited by Meerkat on 2018-02-24, 01:50, edited 2 times in total.

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-24, 02:05

spinme wrote:

Backup all your profiles as detailed below via FEBE on your master drive, sounds like you only have one. Is this correct???"
I shared that I do internal backup up in this desktop, yes? I set up Dual boot. Have default set to boot into my SDD in 10 secs to choose, tho I usually hit enter and don't wait. Backup drive is a spinner. I shared that I clone SDD to the spinner but not often enough, yes? Used to do it on MS hotfix day of the month, but then let it slide. Even tho it takes Only 13 mins.

I never back up files, never have, OR turn on system restore, don't need to. Again, I do internal backup.. I come to nothing arbitrarily.

Meerkat

Unread post by Meerkat » 2018-02-24, 02:21

Did new backup. Pls see report. Does this look normal? Not kidding, this one too too one sec....I like the WOOOSH sound it makes. You are clear that sound in PM is normal EXCEPT no sound streaming MSNBC and CNN, yes?

https://imgur.com/a/V8OVk

TY.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-24, 10:50

so will try to paste contents of my PM backup folder which is sitting on my desktop sayin..."So. do you plan to use me, or WHAT?'
The short answer is if the PM reinstall works it won't be needed. The long answer is you have copies of everything needed to add one item at a time should something be damaged. Bonus, you have used FEBE so can be used to always keep automatic copies of your latest and previous personal PM setup - if something needs to be repaired. The usual cause for a repair is when two or more extensions fight or two incompatible themes ruin the wallpaper.

https://imgur.com/a/V8OVk looks all in order. Any missing items will be provided by PM.
PM reg keys. Not sure if the backup contains anything reg related or not. But, if I uninstall, I would deleted existing Moonchild reg keys.
My only concern would be if a Theme gave you a key for extra features after a donation. I have a extension that demands a key but never needed pay for the extra features.

If you use Sync services you would need to have your login infos handy - assuming login may kept elsewhere than in PM
Last edited by spinme on 2018-02-24, 12:33, edited 3 times in total.

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2018-02-24, 12:20

Poor wording by me... oops
Backup all your profiles as detailed below via FEBE on your master drive, sounds like you only have one. Is this correct???"
When I start PM I get a little window "Pale Moon - Choose user profile" and select one of several profiles to use. Browsing, Shopping, Test each with different Addons.

I think your PM loads immediately for you cos there is only one choice. Is this correct?

When you launch PC and have chosen which drive to use Windows may offer you a further choice of User login name. Perhaps one or two for yourself or one for someone else. [Or choice Admin & one for yourself] Each of these if it they exist may have a separate profile in PM.

Since you have not mentioned these choices, I think Windows is not giving you a choice and it loads straight away. Is this correct?

If the answer to both these questions is yes we can proceed. Even if no we can proceed by using the single backup but we will need further infos suggest via forum private message rather than here. And you have the choice to do other backups.
Your backup drive has a complete older version of PM & profile, I don't think me need consider doing a backup there for now.

Does this look normal? - Yes
I like the WOOOSH sound it makes. - Good
EXCEPT no sound streaming MSNBC and CNN, yes? - Yes

IMPORTANT
You did not confirm you had moved a copy of the FEBE backup folder to somewhere else off of the drive.
Please confirm that the FEBE backup folder is somewhere in Documents folder or somewhere else it won't be deleted when you uninstall PM !!!
Last edited by spinme on 2018-02-24, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-02-24, 12:48

In this situation i would not trust the hard drive.I would buy a new drive and start from scratch again.my opinion fwiw.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1