Custom toolbar missing on first PM start, then appears on restart

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Austin+Healey

Custom toolbar missing on first PM start, then appears on restart

Unread post by Austin+Healey » 2018-02-16, 02:23

First, I've been using Pale Moon for approx six months, and it's excellent. I was using Waterfox previously, and while I appreciate the hard work those developers put in, everything seemed to be crashing and burning when I bailed out. So kudos to the Pale Moon developers -- keep up the good work!

After the last couple of PM updates, my custom toolbar disappears the first time I start up PM every day. But when I restart the program, the toolbar then always shows up, along with the extensions that I've placed there.

It's a (relatively) minor annoyance, but is there an easy fix? I did a search and found many references to missing/disappearing icons and extensions, but nothing that seemed to address my toolbar problem.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Custom toolbar missing on first PM start, then appears on restart

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-16, 05:25

Shot in the dark: Do you happen to be using an outdated version of Isengrim's reader extension?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-02-16, 11:42

In my own research on that issue, I found that several extensions can cause issues with custom toolbars being shown properly. I noticed it happened most often with uMatrix or uBlock0. But the behavior seemed to randomly vary quite a lot, which to me sounded like a possible race condition.

Can you list the add-ons you have installed? Also, does your custom toolbar show if you disable all add-ons, reboot the machine and then relaunch the browser?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-16, 12:49

Yeah, and if disabling all add-ons fixes it, try re-enabling them one at a time, restarting after each one, to see if you can find the culprit.