Unknown Publisher (when running update 27.7.2)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Brulsturm

Unknown Publisher (when running update 27.7.2)

Unread post by Brulsturm » 2018-02-10, 10:40

My mom called me to ask, why the new update for PaleMoon (27.7.2) a window displayed with "unknown publisher" instead of "Markus Straver". She did a good job not running the updater (better safe then sorry), but after looking into it, I could not see a reason why it would be an untrusted update.
When I tried it at home, on my own computer, the result was the same; "unknown publisher".

Is there any particular reason that the update (updater.exe?) has "unknown publisher" after years of carrying the same name "Markus Straver"?

Windows 7 (NL) x64
Palemoon 27.7.2

Thanks in advance for your time.

Fedor2

Re: Unknown Publisher (when running update 27.7.2)

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-02-10, 17:02

This is because of this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17859

Ignore "Unknown Publishe" yell

Brulsturm

Unread post by Brulsturm » 2018-02-10, 20:43

Thanks!
And thanks for the detailed explanation Moonchild.
I should have read more announcements.

OllieBear

Unread post by OllieBear » 2018-02-15, 12:01

I was going to ask the same question but would like to add a supplementary one (my IT knowledge is limited).

There was an update in late October/early November 2017 where the updater also said 'Unknown publisher'. After I applied that update, Palemoon would no longer work unless extensions were disabled (I only had NoScript and uBlock at the time).

As a result, I am now extremely wary about updating. Given that it doesn't take very long to do, can I uninstall Pale Moon and then download the latest version which will presumably be verified? I resolved the previous issue by uninstalling the UK version and downloading the Australian one. When I say resolved, I mean it now works normally.

My system is Windows 8.1 64bit. I have switched back to Adblock.

Any help is greatly appreciated (please feel free to use Janet & John instructions!)

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-02-15, 15:53

You can do whatever you want, but save your profile before.
Unknown Publisher issue is a trifling matter, last time your got problem certainly not because of it.

OllieBear

Unread post by OllieBear » 2018-02-17, 12:06

Thanks for replying. How do I save a profile? I don't see an option for that in the version of Pale Moon I have (as I said, my IT knowledge is very limited).

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-02-17, 13:55

Simple it is, navigate to browser menu help then Troubleshooting information there look the item Profile Folder and click the button Open folder. Copy all things from it to another place. Once you get trouble, open profile folder, close the browser, delete all things from the profile then copy them from saved place which you made before, now you can launch browser.

It was a advanced tutorial here on forum, but i do not see it now, you may try search.
Last edited by Fedor2 on 2018-02-17, 13:58, edited 3 times in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-17, 21:26

Just note that replacing your profile with an older copy will revert your session (open tabs), bookmarks, preferences, etc. to how they were when you made the older copy, so you probably shouldn't just have one copy that you restore to all the time.