gcc.godbolt.org doesn't work properly (display is frozen)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

gcc.godbolt.org doesn't work properly (display is frozen)

Unread post by Weasel » 2018-02-03, 19:28

The site https://gcc.godbolt.org/ doesn't display properly and seems it's "frozen", only the top menu bar displays (but clicking on anything is also useless). It's hard to explain, but use for example Chrome and see for yourself how it should work. It used to work a long time ago, but I believe the developer changed the page somehow and stopped working. :/

Tested on 27.7.2 both Linux and Windows versions.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: gcc.godbolt.org doesn't work properly (display is frozen)

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-02-03, 20:07

I do not know how the page is supposed to look with all the technical geek stuff under the main blue colored top menu bar, but I can see all the buttons such as:

"Save/Load"....."Add new" and on the far right the "Libraries, Add new". And when I click on them, I get drop down menus. As an example, when I click on "Add new", the drop down menu gives me the choice of "Compiler" or "Conf. view".

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.7.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-02-03, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-02-03, 20:27

I'm seeing exactly the same as Night Wing, also opened using Slimjet and it looks identical.

Win 8.1(x64)
Pale Moon 27.7.2 (x64)
Slimjet v16.0.9.0 (x32)

Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Weasel » 2018-02-03, 22:11

Ok, this is weird as shit, since mine isn't even blue but "black" background (on PM), but it should be blue (on Chrome). Note that I tested it on a completely fresh profile, literally, so it had zero extensions or any custom settings done, so I'm completely baffled why this happens but not on you guys' end. Also tested both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux versions, exact same result (thought it's a bug in a library or something), and even happens on Wine with the Windows version! (same exact thing)

Screenshots here, cropped to actual content. The palemoon one doesn't even show stuff when you click anything. Literally frozen, but CPU use is 0% so it's not an infinite loop.

Palemoon
palemoon.png
Chrome
chrome.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Weasel on 2018-02-03, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-02-03, 22:48

@ Weasel

What you see in your Chrome attachment, is exactly what I see in my 64 bit linux Pale Moon.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-02-03, 23:18

Well, that page works flawless in Otter-Browser.

In Pale Moon i see either nothing, a black or white screen or it freezes partly. Most likely that page requires some additional ecmascript stuff which Pale Moon right now is not supporting.

Will most likely work flawless in Basilisk browser (UXP) and will work in Pale Moon flawless once it is UXP based ;)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-02-03, 23:40

Sajadi wrote:Well, that page works flawless in Otter-Browser.

In Pale Moon i see either nothing, a black or white screen or it freezes partly. Most likely that page requires some additional ecmascript stuff which Pale Moon right now is not supporting.

Will most likely work flawless in Basilisk browser (UXP) and will work in Pale Moon flawless once it is UXP based ;)
how can that be so if nightwing can see the screen in his palemoon linux 64bit?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-02-03, 23:47

Moonraker wrote:
Sajadi wrote:Well, that page works flawless in Otter-Browser.

how can that be so if nightwing can see the screen in his palemoon linux 64bit?
I said most likely, i am no developer, but a lot of pages make use of that new shiny garbage, may it be newest standards/stuff these days. All i can say for sure is that that page works a lot more stable in Otter-Browser than in Pale Moon here (latest unstable) - Also breakage is not 100% equal with "the page does not work at all" - sometimes this manifests also in a "jumpy" stability of such a page. ;)
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-02-03, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2018-02-03, 23:48

Well, that page works flawless
... in PaleMoon x86 to
if you use adblockers like uBlock\uMatrix\...etc - that can be a problem. None of them work well in palemoon. (in my experience)
Even in the "disabled mode" , uMatrix affects the browser. Check the error console.
Last edited by jars_ on 2018-02-03, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-02-03, 23:59

One interesting thing to mention... If you have too much of that diff view tabs open, it affects the browser and the page functionality. In that case i take it back what i said about theoretical missing ecmascript features. In my case it was just that somehow there have been tons of that "tabs" open in that page - which created a slowdown and white/black filled tab :D

As i have seen in a second portable installation of the newest Pale Moon unstable that if you have only a handful of "diff view" tabs inside this one page open, the page works more or less :D

Same result in IE11 - create many of that "diff view" entries - and the tab/browser gets quite fast unresponsive. :lol:
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-02-04, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-02-04, 00:11

The only adblocker I use in 64bit linux Pale Moon 27.7.2 is Adblock Latitude 4.0.1. and it was enabled (turned on) when I visited the page.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-02-04, 02:02

I have 14 tabs open in the page and 8 tabs open in my browser and I have no problems at all with Pale Moon, all 14 tabs in the compiler page will expand and seem to function (I have no idea what to do in this site but everything seems to be working for me). I'm using ABL, and on or off makes no difference.

Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Weasel » 2018-02-04, 13:31

Sajadi wrote:One interesting thing to mention... If you have too much of that diff view tabs open, it affects the browser and the page functionality. In that case i take it back what i said about theoretical missing ecmascript features. In my case it was just that somehow there have been tons of that "tabs" open in that page - which created a slowdown and white/black filled tab :D

As i have seen in a second portable installation of the newest Pale Moon unstable that if you have only a handful of "diff view" tabs inside this one page open, the page works more or less :D

Same result in IE11 - create many of that "diff view" entries - and the tab/browser gets quite fast unresponsive. :lol:
What's a "diff" tab? I literally just downloaded Palemoon, use a totally empty profile (even used the -profile launch option to make sure now) so it's fresh, to make sure all is clean, and I go to gcc.godbolt.org -- and that's it, I get that frozen display with the black menu in my screenshot.

This really pisses me off because, well, it seems it's "mostly me" only, and I don't understand how this is possible.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the "thumbnail" when you click on the "List all tabs" icon is normal and does show (a low res version of) the actual page. So I'm completely stumped now.
Last edited by Weasel on 2018-02-04, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-02-04, 13:37

Weasel wrote:This really pisses me off because, well, it seems it's "mostly me" only, and I don't understand how this is possible.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the "thumbnail" when you click on the "List all tabs" icon is normal and does show (a low res version of) the actual page. So I'm completely stumped now.
Open the page with another browser. On top you see "diff view" - If you click on it, some other small section on the page is created. Click again and again and again - the more you open, the faster the browser shows the issues you and me described ;)

The thing is i do not know how to remove that "diff view" elements :D can't click them away anymore.

Edit:

Duplicated my Pale Moon portable installation on another drive, deleted all cookies i had - Page looks normal for now.

Also, that page is in serious need for activated Pale Moon hardware acceleration :D
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-02-04, 13:51, edited 3 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-02-04, 14:27

Thought I would mention this. Since this desktop tower computer is an old 2010 model with an old Nvidia GT220 graphics card; in Preferences, in Advanced, under the General tab, I have "Use hardware acceleration when available".........unchecked.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-02-04, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-02-04, 14:35

Night Wing wrote:Thought I would mention this. Since this desktop tower computer is an old 2010 model with an old Nvidia GT220 graphics card; in Preferences, in Advanced, under the General tab, I have "Use hardware acceleration when available".........unchecked.
Here it runs better with hardware acceleration on - Asus Zenbook in use :D

Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Weasel » 2018-02-04, 15:11

Night Wing wrote:Thought I would mention this. Since this desktop tower computer is an old 2010 model with an old Nvidia GT220 graphics card; in Preferences, in Advanced, under the General tab, I have "Use hardware acceleration when available".........unchecked.
Thanks, I tried that along with fiddling with other options, but still no dice. :/ It's the exact same.

However, it's probably something display related for sure (since it shows in thumbnail properly), too bad your suggestion did not work.