cookie management in new update

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bilfrank

cookie management in new update

Unread post by bilfrank » 2018-01-17, 22:27

Am just curious why the option 'ask me every time' disappeared from the drop box, only have 'always' and 'until I close Pale Moon' now. Firefox did that years ago, and that is what set Pale Moon apart from other browsers for me. Now it's like every other browser out there. Accept cookies or don't.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: cookie management in new update

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-18, 06:16

Yeah, I wasn't sure I was happy to see the option go, but I understand the reasoning; with ask me every time set, on almost every page load for a modern website, there's a flurry of popups asking to set or modify cookies, and it makes browsing a bit difficult.

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2018-01-18, 08:45

Disable "Accept cookies from sites". Create exceptions for the cookies you really need. Simple!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-18, 09:05

The "ask me every time" option was a feature from an era when cookies were a relatively rare commodity. That's no longer the case, and most websites will set at least a few cookies on every visit. Busy websites with a lot of external content can set dozens. The way this feature handled such amounts of cookies would be to spawn a dialog for every single cookie, creating a "dialog storm" that could get users in an unworkable state quite easily. There are some very good reasons why all other browsers have done away with this kind of handling of individual cookies some time ago.

As indicated in the release notes, much better solutions exist to manage cookies in the form of browser extensions specifically created for this purpose that have the modern web in mind. Those are much improved replacements of this old core feature. Also, as said, you can still set which ones you accept/reject manually.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bilfrank

Unread post by bilfrank » 2018-01-18, 16:43

Terryphi wrote:Disable "Accept cookies from sites". Create exceptions for the cookies you really need. Simple!
Thanks, that's about the best solution I've heard, and those cookie management extensions were more cumbersome for me than helpful. Might beat using different browsers for different tasks like I have been too.

Thanks

smihaila

Unread post by smihaila » 2018-01-28, 08:24

Moonchild wrote:The "ask me every time" option was a feature from an era when cookies were a relatively rare commodity. That's no longer the case, and most websites will set at least a few cookies on every visit. Busy websites with a lot of external content can set dozens. The way this feature handled such amounts of cookies would be to spawn a dialog for every single cookie, creating a "dialog storm" that could get users in an unworkable state quite easily. There are some very good reasons why all other browsers have done away with this kind of handling of individual cookies some time ago.
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with this opinion, and decision to remove the feature. As some of the other posters were noting, it was one of the features that set Palemoon (and Opera 12.x) APART.

There was nothing annoying about the feature, as you also had a "don't show again" or "do the same for any cookie inside this domain" options.

Please bring this feature back at once! Otherwise, I shall think that your are actually in bedwith the rapacious advertisers, Google, CIA, NSA and many other 3-letter agencies. I am very disappointed in this, and if the feature is not brought back, I will cease using Palemoon completely, and also advise all of my relatives, friends and acquaintances to STOP using Palemoon...
Moonchild wrote: As indicated in the release notes, much better solutions exist to manage cookies in the form of browser extensions specifically created for this purpose that have the modern web in mind. Those are much improved replacements of this old core feature. Also, as said, you can still set which ones you accept/reject manually.
I call this BS. Kindly indicate EXACT solutions that offer the same level of flexibility, in order to look them up.
Until then, sayonara Palemoon - you are getting in the same line as the other series of stupid and inflexible browsers like IE (the browser used to download the other browsers), which skimp on offering any degree of privacy control or fine-grained settings to the users.

Thanks.
Last edited by smihaila on 2018-01-28, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-28, 08:33

Maybe when you come back after your baby fit you will learn how to type the name of the browser properly.

In the meantime, I wish you luck on your quest to find a browser replacement with half of what Pale Moon offers.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-28, 08:40, edited 3 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-01-28, 15:13

smihaila wrote:.... Kindly indicate EXACT solutions that offer the same level of flexibility, in order to look them up.....
Here you go....
Any one of these Cookies add-ons will do a great job as far as allowing the cookies you want or need and at the same time protect you against cookies you do not want:

1) Self-Destructing Cookies for Pale Moon.

2) Cookies Exterminator.

3) Crush Those Cookies.

I have personally used the first two - both work great with Pale Moon (the third choice appears to do the same as the first two). Using any one of these extensions is far better than the option 'ask me every time' that you were asking about. Once a website is set the way you want it you do not need to be bothered about that site again. Far better than the "ask me every time" function that is totally annoying and frankly "obsolete" as it does not apply to how websites are currently designed. There is no better browser than Pale Moon - so try any one of these extensions and you will be happy. If you do not currently have a cookie (blocking) extension I would probably recommend the first one listed and ignore the warning about cookie settings when installed (just go the "The Next Steps" portion of the instructions on how to use the extension) since you would not have any cookies saved for sites. Read about the extensions; once you get used to the add-on and have the cookies saved for sites you use the most you will find that you can stay logged into sites that offer this that you prefer to stay logged into to save time making it far easier to use the net. :thumbup:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-01-28, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-01-28, 16:52

smihaila wrote:Otherwise, I shall think that your are actually in bedwith the rapacious advertisers, Google, CIA, NSA and many other 3-letter agencies.
Nonsense. That statement you could throw into if the option to deny cookies at all would have been removed. That feature removal is a very minimal inconvenience - as others told you, add-ons offering a good replacement solution for this.
smihaila wrote:I call this BS. Kindly indicate EXACT solutions that offer the same level of flexibility, in order to look them up.
Until then, sayonara Palemoon - you are getting in the same line as the other series of stupid and inflexible browsers like IE (the browser used to download the other browsers), which skimp on offering any degree of privacy control or fine-grained settings to the users.
Very adult behavior i have to say ;) And not true at all - Have you compared the UI customization possibilities of IE and Pale Moon? No? If you would have you would have seen that Pale Moon is tons of more flexible :lol:
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-01-28, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

smihaila

Unread post by smihaila » 2018-01-28, 16:53

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Maybe when you come back after your baby fit you will learn how to type the name of the browser properly.

In the meantime, I wish you luck on your quest to find a browser replacement with half of what Pale Moon offers.
What was wrong with my spelling? The project's technical / codename and physical executable or directory name is Palemoon, without a space separator between words. Is that what you were fussing about?

And yes, my quest for a better (with more control on the user's privacy side) browser has to resume now. With the recent "update", I've just discovered that the "allow cookies" option was quietly enabled without the endusers being advised, and now I have a pile of cookie crap on my computer, and heavy tracking.

What's the next move for Palemoon? Remove support for multi-row tabs and "get aligned" withj google's chrome/blink crap? I'm pissed off man...

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-01-28, 16:56

smihaila wrote:In the meantime, I wish you luck on your quest to find a browser replacement with half of what Pale Moon offers.

What was wrong with my spelling? The project's technical / codename and physical executable or directory name is Palemoon, without a space separator between words. Is that what you were fussing about?

And yes, my quest for a better (with more control on the user's privacy side) browser has to resume now. With the recent "update", I've just discovered that the "allow cookies" option was quietly enabled without the endusers being advised, and now I have a pile of cookie crap on my computer, and heavy tracking.

What's the next move for Palemoon? Remove support for multi-row tabs and "get aligned" withj google's chrome/blink crap? I'm pissed off man...
Mindless rage brings you nowhere. If you think this should still be a core feature, feel free to fork the code on github, and bring that feature back. Otherwise instead of raging and overheating because of anger... do yourself a favor.. Use whatever browser you think is a better replacement and leave peaceful!
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-01-28, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

smihaila

Unread post by smihaila » 2018-01-28, 16:58

Sajadi wrote:
smihaila wrote:Otherwise, I shall think that your are actually in bedwith the rapacious advertisers, Google, CIA, NSA and many other 3-letter agencies.
Nonsense. That statement you could throw into if the option to deny cookies at all would have been removed. That feature removal is a very minimal inconvenience - as others told you, add-ons offering a good replacement solution for this.
Are you kidding, right? Offering a "allow all cookies with manually entered exceptions POST-factum or no cookie at all" - as opposed to "allow cookies but first ask, with interactive veto-ing dialog" - you call that a minimal inconvenience?
Sajadi wrote: Very adult behavior i have to say ;) And not true at all - Have you compared the UI customization possibilities of IE and Pale Moon? No? If you would have you would have seen that Pale Moon is tons of more flexible :lol:
Don't patronize me. Of course I have customized almost everything, including the size of the tab buttons in PM. I have likened PM to IE because, at least in terms of cookie control - that's the trend that it seems to be pursuing, sadly...Heh, I guess the main maintainer and author of PM is just pulling recent code from Mozilla's src control repos and not too much value adding propositions will remain....sad to say this, again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-28, 17:00

So, everyone can just ignore what I said about this and must stay on their high horses at all times? Fine. But... You can do that somewhere else. ESPECIALLY if you are going to default to ignoring all the work that is being put into Pale Moon, and ESPECIALLY that work put in by me who you are directly insulting with your posts right now.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-01-28, 17:06, edited 3 times in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-01-28, 17:08

smihaila wrote:Thank you, I'll evaluate those in an instant...
A fourth option is Cookiekeeper.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-01-28, 17:12, edited 2 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

smihaila

Unread post by smihaila » 2018-01-28, 17:09

Pale Moon Rising wrote: Any one of these Cookies add-ons will do a great job as far as allowing the cookies you want or need and at the same time protect you against cookies you do not want:

1) Self-Destructing Cookies for Pale Moon.

2) Cookies Exterminator.

3) Crush Those Cookies.
Thank you, I'll evaluate those in an instant...
Pale Moon Rising wrote: I have personally used the first two - both work great with Pale Moon (the third choice appears to do the same as the first two). Using any one of these extensions is far better than the option 'ask me every time' that you were asking about. Once a website is set the way you want it you do not need to be bothered about that site again. Far better than the "ask me every time" function that is totally annoying and frankly "obsolete" as it does not apply to how websites are currently designed.
Pardon me, but you didn't seem to understand how the feature (now lost) was actually working, and its degree of flexibility (which even though wasn't that powerful as, say, uBlock Origin or Transmission), was higher than what you think it was. Yes, it was actually allowing you exactly what you have mentioned: I would say "no, do not allow cookie for this url" AND another checbox enabled to say "use this choice for any other cookie / url inside the same domain".
Pale Moon Rising wrote: There is no better browser than Pale Moon - so try any one of these extensions and you will be happy.
Beg to differ. Nothing beats Opera 12.x in terms of fine-tuning and power returned back to the user. Too bad that its Presto engine did not get updated, so where Opera 12.x is lacking is rendering / layouting issues and upgrades to stay in sync with recent w3c standards.
Pale Moon Rising wrote: If you do not currently have a cookie (blocking) extension I would probably recommend the first one listed and ignore the warning about cookie settings when installed (just go the "The Next Steps" portion of the instructions on how to use the extension) since you would not have any cookies saved for sites. Read about the extensions; once you get used to the add-on and have the cookies saved for sites you use the most you will find that you can stay logged into sites that offer this that you prefer to stay logged into to save time making it far easier to use the net. :thumbup:
I've read about extensions and actually used them :-) And hmm, what do we see: I cannot install the latest and greatest uBlock Origin or Ghostery, or price-tracking and coupon/cash-back tracking websites, and have to be satisfied with older versions of those extensions.

Look man, my use-case is very simple: Allow me to have a say what website do get access to cookies (i.e. bankster and other financial websites, forums which I am interested in etc) AND DENY THE HELL out of all other websites. Software like uBlockOrigin etc helps, but as end-user I wish to be in more control.

Thank you.
Last edited by smihaila on 2018-01-28, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.