Using aliases from URL bar

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
salami

Using aliases from URL bar

Unread post by salami » 2018-01-17, 15:35

Hi, I'm having what may or may not be an extension compatibility issue, but which I think is actually related to changes to the functionality of the URL bar following expunging of Google search.

On 26.2.2 (x64), I am using the URL Alias extension without incident:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lias-8703/

This binds short strings to URLs that you can then access directly by typing that in the URL bar. You can also perform complex searches using variables with substitution.

In the latest version (27.7.0, x64), the extension installs without incident, and I imported my aliases, but typing anything of them just performs a search on DuckDuckGo with that string, instead of the intended behavior.

How would I disable this default search behavior and give precedence to URL Alias?
I looked through about:config and didn't find any smoking gun that would point to disabling the above, other than some settings for specifying search order. URL Alias has its own registry settings, too.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Using aliases from URL bar

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-18, 06:35

In about:config, setting keyword.enabled to false should stop searching from the address bar.

If you can't get your extension to work, you could try Custom Keywords (not an extension, just a feature).

salami

Unread post by salami » 2018-01-27, 23:56

Thank you for both of those tips!

I was able to use custom keywords, and while it's a bit tedious to save bookmarks, I find it slightly better than having a standalone extension for this.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-28, 21:46

You're welcome!

I'm glad I was helpful. :)