Download Status button Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Download Status button

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-01-16, 19:37

What is the function of the Download Status button? When I download something, it does not appear. Why does it promptly disappear after I close the Customize window? This happens with any theme.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Download Status button

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-01-16, 20:43

Goodydino wrote:When I download something, it does not appear.

If the button was taken out of the customize palette and put somewhere it should always appear when you download something. If it doesn't, it might be preempted by some third party downloading extension? (I use something else and it does this.)

If you want the download status button to be visible at all times (i.e. when you're not downloading), it can be set in the Status bar options:
Tools menu (or PM button > Preferences) > Status bar options > Download tab >
Tick the box next to "Always show the Download Status indicator".
statusbarPrefs.png
If you prefer to use about:config, set status4evar.download.force to true
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-01-16, 20:58, edited 3 times in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-01-17, 17:12

I am using the extension Show Downloads because I like having a download window. I just wanted to test the button to see if it worked properly, and the current behaviour makes that difficult. Thanks for the suggestions.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-01-17, 18:42

Goodydino wrote:...because I like having a download window.
Downloads Window 0.6.5 restores the old download window of the early Firefox versions, if you're interested.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-17, 18:48

It isn't the "old downloads window" just a very good approximation of it using available resources and some nifty tricks. Good extension overall, I use it.. Even helped the developer with improving Pale Moon compatibility. But it by all means isn't identical. Though recommended.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-17, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-01-17, 20:21

I actually tried Downloads Window. It did not seem to work as well as Show Downloads does.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-01-17, 21:10

Goodydino wrote:What is the function of the Download Status button? When I download something, it does not appear. Why does it promptly disappear after I close the Customize window? This happens with any theme.
I am using the extension Show Downloads because I like having a download window. I just wanted to test the button to see if it worked properly, and the current behaviour makes that difficult. Thanks for the suggestions.
Actually, Pale Moon has two download toolbar buttons. The "Download Status" button only appears during downloads, and promptly disappears as soon as the download completes. So, if you're downloading a very small file, or have a very high-speed connection, the "Download Status" button's icon may appear, then disappear, in the blink-of-an-eye. On the other hand, the "Downloads" button, when dragged from the Customize Toolbar Palette to the toolbar, stays visible. Both download buttons use the same icon in my current theme. Since you're using Show Downloads: Window, Tab, or Sidebar, what these buttons do, and related shortcut keys, depend on whether you selected to show downloads in a separate window (the default and my choice), in a tab, or in the sidebar (click the "Options" or "More" buttons, for this extension in Add-ons Manager, for detail explanation. Or see the listing for the extension at APMO).

Note that the "Show Downloads: Window, Tab, or Sidebar" opens and shows progress for each download, as it occurs. I use the "Download Status" button on the toolbar, so that during very large downloads, I can close the "Show Downloads ..." window, move on to other things, while continuing to observe download progress on the "Download Status" toolbar button. (You can always toggle the "Show Downloads ..." window, tab, or sidebar, open or close, at any time, by using the shortcut key "Ctrl+J". Particularly handy is using the "Esc" key to close the "Show Downloads ..." window, while download progress continues to display in the "Download Status" toolbar button).
Last edited by riiis on 2018-01-17, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-01-18, 16:56

I appreciate the explanation. I do have a fast connection, so I probably missed the downloads status during the download. I prefer a separate downloads window, which is why I got the extension.