Videos don't play

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
IanDSamson

Videos don't play

Unread post by IanDSamson » 2018-01-16, 11:38

Windows Vista Ultimate x64
8GB RAM
Pale Moon 27.7.0 x64

Videos in Facebook do not play. The theater opens, shows the play arrow, clicking it refreshes the page, but does not play the video.
I'm wondering if there is an about:config toggle that needs alteration, but don't know which one.
All other software is 100% up to date.

VevendoVides
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Videos don't play

Unread post by VevendoVides » 2018-01-16, 12:25

Same Problem with amazon videos. In Example it is not possible to play any Trailer. Amazon tells to update on the newest Firefox. But otherwise they explain if you are working with another Browser they will use Silverlight instead of HTML5. That worked very well until yesterday but since that the Error occurs permanently.

Note: That has nothing to do with the new Palemoon-Version 27.7. - the Error occured with the former Release as well.
Example: https://www.amazon.de/Land-dt-OV-Ryan-G ... rime+video (must click on "Trailer" there)

cathteg

Unread post by cathteg » 2018-01-16, 22:12

Also having this problem, only since the update Windows 10 just forced through - before that everything played fine. I have Flashblock (but set to allow HTML5 and Silverlight) and NoScript, but I've tried without one, the other, and both and nothing changes, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I don't suppose any of the clever people here have found the cure yet?

cathteg

Unread post by cathteg » 2018-01-20, 02:16

Unlikely though it is that anybody is going to be looking at this thread when there are others - uninstalling the HEVC codec fixed this.

ShonkaiDJ

Unread post by ShonkaiDJ » 2018-01-21, 13:29

There are always others....not sure other whats you are referring to though. I assume you may mean 'other people who cannot play video's in Facebook' and people that later find out they have 'the same problem' with Amazon though the description seems one that has a different outcome then the Facebook one. But you may know who's mother assumption really is.

Fact is that I have had the first mentioned problem too. On Facebook the theater opens but I do not get past the play button still. Not after the latest W10 update. If that would have been the case I would be on a Microsoft forum. I've had it from scratch when I ported from Mozilla to the Moon child somewhere around June last year. The strangest thing is that my trouble shooting steps lead me to believe it is machine related. I'm the happy owner of two PC's and one laptop with two active user accounts. I'd refer to them as a 'Social (security number) account' and my 'Creative (I am a free man born on earth) account'.

That is how I get to think it is a machine related problem.

I ported the same Profile to every account on every machine when I started using Pale Moon. Quite from the beginning, I am not sure when exactly, on my Main PC I couldn't play video from Facebook. -I may not be able to play video from other sources, Youtube plays fine and I'd like to keep the problem as simple as possible-

So. With some patience I checked for solutions every now and then. Tried some about:config advices on HTML5 and later played around with the MSE extensions settings but it didn't make any difference. Before reboot, after reboot, Graphics card updates. No luck. The situations started like this and it still is like this:

1. Both Windows accounts (locally logged in) on my HP Server-PC (Nvidia GTS9300, Quad Core 2) can show video on a Facebook page.
2. Both Windows accounts (locally logged in) on my HP Laptop-PC (Nvidia Quadro 3000M, 3rd Gen i7) can show video on a Facebook page.
3. Both Windows accounts (locally logged in) on my HP Main-PC (Nvidia GTX1060-6GB, 2nd Gen i7 6 Cores) canNOT show video on a Facebook page.
4. Each of the two Windows accounts and profiles, have their own matching Pale Moon (Sync) account and profile. That way the accounts are synchronized (complete) across all machines.

I am convinced it is solvable without spending ages of trying if reinstalling W10 is going to help me to get one of my browsers working on Facebook, leaving me in an unknown state of when I can start using my PC again for what I bought it for and make my money with. It's just that I am an Engineer and not a developer. (Developing developer skills: yes)

Uninstalling HEVC the codec would not be a solution but a work-around in my case. Often what may be a solution to one person, is just a work around for the other. I would have to reinstall the codec when I go on working on video editing projects. It's really hard and time consuming to uninstall HEVC before I go on Facebook and reinstall it when I need to work on video editing projects. I choose not to watch FB video's on the Main PC, be patient because real solutions always show up and now that I found this topic (I am the worst in finding (many) solutions or (the right) topics) share my experience so far to see if it helps.
Last edited by ShonkaiDJ on 2018-01-21, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Lolithetrolli

Unread post by Lolithetrolli » 2018-01-21, 22:05

I'm not an expert on Pale Moon, but installing Microsoft Silverlight solved the Amazon issue for me. As for other sites, you probably need to have Flash.
Attachments
I got it.PNG

Lolithetrolli

Unread post by Lolithetrolli » 2018-01-21, 22:14

Well well well ain't this strange. It works for the .com site, but I get an error on the .de site.... Very weird.
Attachments
De.PNG

ShonkaiDJ

Unread post by ShonkaiDJ » 2018-01-22, 09:24

Ok. Not sure if this is still about the original post on Facebook video. What I am sure of is that I have the latest Silverlight and the latest Flash on all systems. That would be 5.1.50907.0 (SL) and 28.0.0.137 at this time.

Lolithetrolli

Unread post by Lolithetrolli » 2018-01-22, 14:18

Yeah, I'm kinda confused about all of this considering that my Pale moon works properly. I hope that you get this figured out soon though. Have you tried changing compatibility in preferences?
Attachments
Sorry man.PNG

ShonkaiDJ

Unread post by ShonkaiDJ » 2018-01-22, 19:25

Ah...the user agent mode. Well I've had no reason to because on the working systems it's in the same mode as the non working one. Even if the settings-sync is not working (hard to check), they do have the same settings visually. And believe me, I didn't like all the times I've confirmed in a human way that all the settings really were the same.

I'm just wondering if a difference in Graphics card could cause this different behavior with the same settings.