unable to install firefox add ons

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
partha

unable to install firefox add ons

Unread post by partha » 2018-01-16, 04:55

Just joined.trying to migrate from firefox.Whenever want install add on from from firefox I get this notification "This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 42.0). You are using Firefox 27.9.".I want to use some useful add ons Any thoughts?

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: unable to install firefox add ons

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-16, 12:18

I guess your best bet is to use add ons from here: https://addons.palemoon.org/ (Please look at the one called "Moon Tester Tool".)

For Fx add ons that have no parallel on the Pale Moon add on page, if you're able to install it, maybe the Fx add on called "checkCompatibility" will help.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-01-16, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-16, 12:32

More bad advice and non-solutions.. Stop it. Those are developmental aids not intended for everyday end users.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-16, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-16, 12:40

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:More bad advice and non-solutions.. Stop it. Those are developmental aids not intended for everyday end users.
Whoops! :oops:

Sorry. What should I have written? I was trying to help a new user.

Thank you.

P.S. And what's wrong with this?
I guess your best bet is to use add ons from here: https://addons.palemoon.org/
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-01-16, 12:44, edited 2 times in total.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-16, 12:48

The remark was for "checkcompatibility", which I'm pretty sure you realized by quoting everything but.
Just like the moon tester tool they are meant primarily for developers of extensions, NOT for end-users.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-01-16, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2018-01-16, 12:53

First step should be to see if there is a Pale Moon version or alternative of the extension from here: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/

If there isn't, then the normal reason Firefox Extensions don't work is because they have been updated or written for technologies used in Firefox that aren't used in Pale Moon. For many of these you may find an older version of the extension that works - locate the extension on the Firefox extension site, then scroll down and click on the 'See all versions' link.

Alternatively search this forum for the extension in question and someone may already have provided a solution.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-16, 13:22

1. Falna's post is quite helpful.

2. The Moon Tester Tool page (https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-tester-tool/) says "Warning! Moon Tester Tool is intended for advanced users and for test purposes only!" I can read, and I assume the OP can, too.

I, for one, am prepared to make my own decisions and then live with the consequences. I think anyone who ventures into a forum like this should also be given the benefit of the doubt.

3. The page for the "Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... atibility/) contains no caveat whatsoever.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-01-16, 17:53

partha wrote:Just joined.trying to migrate from firefox.Whenever want install add on from from firefox I get this notification "This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 42.0). You are using Firefox 27.9.".I want to use some useful add ons Any thoughts?
Try installing older "Legacy" versions of the add-ons you use in FX. Most add-ons have older versions on their AMO page. If you list your add-ons here, maybe some of us could help you with alternatives, if necessary.
Last edited by LAR Grizzly on 2018-01-16, 17:55, edited 2 times in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-01-16, 19:46

The way I handled using Firefox extensions with Pale Moon was to copy the Pale Moon target application data from a Pale Moon theme and add it to install.rdf in the .xpi file. That data looks like this:
<em:targetApplication>
<Description>
<!-- Pale Moon -->
<em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
<em:minVersion>27.5.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>29.*</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
</em:targetApplication>

That goes before:
</Description>
</RDF>
This is usually at the end of the file.

partha

Unread post by partha » 2018-01-17, 05:51

Thank you for your assistance.I need following add on
Print Edit WE
Video DownloadHelper
In My Pocket
Cleanfox
Malwarebytes
Google Shortcuts-All services at a glance
Grateful for immediate response

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-01-17, 18:36

partha wrote:Thank you for your assistance.I need following add on
Print Edit WE
Video DownloadHelper
In My Pocket
Cleanfox
Malwarebytes
I can help you with one: Video DownloadHelper >switch to> NetVideoHunter 1.20
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-17, 19:07

partha wrote:Thank you for your assistance.I need following add on
Print Edit WE
Video DownloadHelper
In My Pocket
Cleanfox
Malwarebytes
I haven't used Print Edit WE, but it looks like it's a WebExtension rewrite of the original add-on. Have you tried that one?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

partha

Unread post by partha » 2018-01-20, 05:48

Yes. I have installed print edit and net video hunter.thanks a lot

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-01-21, 00:39

partha wrote:Yes. I have installed print edit and net video hunter.thanks a lot
You're welcome! Be patient. With some assistance, you can get PM very close to the way you had FX. I have, and I'm not looking back.
Last edited by LAR Grizzly on 2018-01-21, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security