Changes in tab spacing in 27.7.0? (and can it be reverted) Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Changes in tab spacing in 27.7.0? (and can it be reverted)

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-01-15, 14:11

Hi!

I have noticed that in the latest version for Windows, tabs seem to be spaced further apart, like the "gap" between them seems wider.

It used to look like this:

I like that, but now it looks like this:

Is there any way I can restore the appearance?

Kind regards

Ozzed

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Changes in tab spacing in 27.7.0? (and can it be reverted)

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-15, 15:03

It likely has to do with the proper rendering of border sizes which follow standards of 0-1 being 1 and 1.4 to 1 being 1 and 1.5 to 2.0 being 2.

Look more closely, the gap hasn't changed.. The borders are being.. Finally, properly rendered.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-15, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-15, 15:07

This would be because of the change in rounding of border widths, not because the spacing has changed.
I checked on Windows 10 myself and there is no issue; but if you're scaling the UI elements up to 1.5x or larger, the borders will be rounded up now, as they should.
Attachments
Image1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-01-15, 15:12

Moonchild wrote:This would be because of the change in rounding of border widths, not because the spacing has changed.
I checked on Windows 10 myself and there is no issue; but if you're scaling the UI elements up to 1.5x or larger, the borders will be rounded up now, as they should.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:It likely has to do with the proper rendering of border sizes which follow standards of 0-1 being 1 and 1.4 to 1 being 1 and 1.5 to 2.0 being 2.

Look more closely, the gap hasn't changed.. The borders are being.. Finally, properly rendered.

RESOLVED INVALID
OK, so it is an intentional change. To me personally, what I care about is I liked the way it looked before, so being "properly" rendered pr not, is there a way to revert it to the old behavior? My scaling is indeed 125%.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-15, 15:15

You can use userchrome to make tab borders use a smaller base width so they won't round up at your zoom level, e.g. use 0.8px for tab borders.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-01-15, 15:26

Moonchild wrote:You can use userchrome to make tab borders use a smaller base width so they won't round up at your zoom level, e.g. use 0.8px for tab borders.
Thanks! :) I have no previous experience with the userChrome.css-file but I created a new one in a new folder called chrome. So.. All I gotta do now is add one line with

tab borders 0.8px

Or am missing something in the syntax?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-15, 15:34

Actually, the thicker borders are a side-effect of the way we handle borders for tabs in the theme that should be addressed.
The border is actually 2 px wide, but only 1 px is visible -- scaling that up to 125% makes it round up a little too soon visually, so we need to tweak the theme a bit there.

You need to create a userChrome.css file (see elsewhere on the forum how to do this) and it should get a block in there to adjust the border width. Your feedback will be appreciated as to the results:

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab,
.tabs-newtab-button {
 border: 1.6px solid !important;
}

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-01-15, 15:57

Moonchild wrote:Actually, the thicker borders are a side-effect of the way we handle borders for tabs in the theme that should be addressed.
The border is actually 2 px wide, but only 1 px is visible -- scaling that up to 125% makes it round up a little too soon visually, so we need to tweak the theme a bit there.

You need to create a userChrome.css file (see elsewhere on the forum how to do this) and it should get a block in there to adjust the border width. Your feedback will be appreciated as to the results:

.tabbrowser-tab,
.tabs-newtab-button {
 border: 1.6px solid !important;
}
The css-file does seem to work as I'm getting results, but not what I expected. I copied your code snippet into the file (it's the only code in it) and I got the below result.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-01-15, 16:34

This should work:

.tabbrowser-tab,
.tabs-newtab-button {
 border-width: 1.6px !important;
}

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-01-15, 16:41

Lootyhoof wrote:This should work:

.tabbrowser-tab,
.tabs-newtab-button {
 border-width: 1.6px !important;
}
Yeah, I think this is the same as before :) So... your code snippet produces this result, which is what I was looking for. If there's a difference I really can't spot it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-15, 19:38

Yeah sorry I shouldn't have included the "solid", that's what caused your border change.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-01-15, 21:13

Moonchild wrote:Yeah sorry I shouldn't have included the "solid", that's what caused your border change.
Well, without the "solid" it does seem to work the way I want it to. Like it's back the way it was before the update to the newest version.

So if I understand you correctly you're working on a tweak for this, for a future version, and I should keep the css-file for now?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-15, 22:06

Ozzed wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Yeah sorry I shouldn't have included the "solid", that's what caused your border change.
Well, without the "solid" it does seem to work the way I want it to. Like it's back the way it was before the update to the newest version.

So if I understand you correctly you're working on a tweak for this, for a future version, and I should keep the css-file for now?
Yup, correct. Issue #1584
Once that's in (next version) you can remove the userchrome workaround again.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-01-18, 12:10

Moonchild wrote:
Ozzed wrote:

Yup, correct. Issue #1584
Once that's in (next version) you can remove the userchrome workaround again.
I have only updated my work computer so far (will update and test the home computer when I come home), but after the update, tabs still feel a bit wider apart than with the user chrome activated. In addition to that, the arrows at the left and right of the tab row now randomly still appear clickable even when the tabs are scrolled to the end (the arrows used to always be grayed out in that condition). No idea if it's a related bug or if I should start a new topic all together.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-18, 13:09

There is no difference with the userChrome activated - the theme uses the exact same values as you tested with.