Re: No more code-signing options

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jb_wisemo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by jb_wisemo » 2018-01-11, 19:35

(This is in reply to a thread in Announcements)

I am surprised why MoonChild has not yet created a formal Swedish company identity, either for Pale Moon (and related) code or for his entire "Moonchild Productions". That would remove the difficulty of getting code signing certificates from bigger CAs (such as GlobalSign or Digicert).

The decision between creating a "Pale Moon only" company or a "Moonchild Productions in total" company would be mostly about which of his activities etc. he would loose if the company goes bust versus which ones he will allow to bite him personally if something bad happens.

Also, I am not sure if the mechanisms in Swedish law to register as a "one-man business" with a VAT number etc., but no legally separate company identity, would be good enough to get normal (and possibly EV) certificates.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-13, 15:11

I've looked into business registration in Sweden, but it is one of the areas where the country is really, really really behind the times, and the resulting paperwork, double taxation, impossibility to have international revenue properly registered and processed and more of those wonderful things, each with a dozen roadblocks if not more, would likely mean any company started for Pale Moon (not being for-profit) will likely have to fold within 6 months, black-holing any hard-earned savings and financial reserve I have in the process. It's fine if you want to be a Swedish for-profit company doing business in Sweden with Swedish products and clients - easy as pie. But anything else quickly becomes a bog of red tape and expenses.

I'm not going through that just because CAs make it nigh impossible for individual developers to get a code signing certificate, no sir.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-19, 19:46

Is sweden where you intend to stay for good.?
if not then maybe its an option for the future.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1