install LastPass addon/extension

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: install LastPass addon/extension

Unread post by cyberreine » 2017-12-25, 08:10

Thanks very much, coffeebreak, for your message and the very useful screenshots. I'm not sure how to put a screenshot here, but what you show isn't what I see when I go to the same site. When I go, I do not see a "Download Now" sign. The green sign I see says "Add to Pale Moon." I tried that earlier tonight, and, as I explained in an earlier message, after it seemed to download, I was told it couldn't be downloaded because PM didn't support JetPack/SDK. Here is a link that I hope will lead to a screenshot of what I saw: http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u589/cq75b/LP_duh.jpg
PM 29.1.1(32-bit) on Win10 Professional 64-bit

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-12-25, 08:55

Cassette wrote:Yes, it does install, but I wouldn't say it "works". It doesn't autofill anything. The right click context menu just says no matching sites. The icon in the toolbar shows the site and makes it possible to copy and paste username/password information, but it won't autofill, either. It's possible to use it, but far too tedious.
Yes, this is recent, I'm not getting the ability to auto-fill, either.
So, one problem is solved but it creates another.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-25, 12:32

@cyberreine, A couple of things...
  1. First, a heads-up, megaman sent you a private message with a link to a LastPass 4.1.67 xpi in his dropbox account - it should take care of the immediate downloading issue. But just FYI, with Moon Tester Tool installed you can download the xpi via right-click, "save as" from the "Add to Pale Moon" button too, if you wish.
  2. This is important: Issues have just been raised as to how well LP 4.1.67 actually works - So maybe this version won't fix anything. (For disclosure, I don't use LastPass/can't add anything here.)

However these downloading/installation problems could come up for you with other add-ons in future, so I'm posting what follows with that in mind. ˅
cyberreine wrote:When I go, I do not see a "Download Now" sign. The green sign I see says "Add to Pale Moon."

That green "Add to Pale Moon" button (green "Add to Firefox" button, if you don't use Moon Tester Tool) only displays if AMO "thinks" your browser/browser version matches compatibility criteria for that add-on version - AMO decides this based on your user agent.

Pale Moon has a built-in custom user agent override for addons.mozilla.org to advertise itself to AMO as "Firefox 27.9".
Did you tweak that override? (Or do you use some extension to manage user agents?)

You might try going to about:config; filter on general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org
If it's bolded in about:config, right-click on it, choose Reset.
Then refresh the Last Pass AMO page and see if the display changes to what others see.
cyberreine wrote: I tried that earlier tonight, and, as I explained in an earlier message, after it seemed to download, I was told it couldn't be downloaded because PM didn't support JetPack/SDK.

Moon Tester Tool helps download xpi's from AMO, and helps to install an extension from a locally saved xpi (whose files it edits).

But it won't force (or enable) something to install directly from the AMO page, if it wouldn't otherwise. (And For LastPass 4.1.67, AMO shouldn't have "seen" your browser as "compatible" since that LastPass version claims to require a minimum of Firefox 38.0a1.)

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2017-12-25, 19:09

@Megaman and coffeebreak,

Many thanks to both of you for your help. And Megaman, thanks very much for the private message. I used the link to download the xpi file, but I'm not sure now that I will use it, given the recent added information.

Coffeebreak, I found your most recent message extremely helpful. I should mention that I have tweaked the setting in about:config for
general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org a number of times, when various sites have complained that my "Firefox" is not up to date. The most recent setting I've used is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 (Pale Moon). All my recent attempts to download LP files have been made with this as the setting in about:config. Given that, shouldn't AMO have seen my version as compatible?

Given what Megaman and Cassette have said about the current working of LP 4.1.67, I'm thinking that perhaps I should leave well-enough alone, even if well-enough isn't really all that well. ;) At least my current version, LP 3.3.4, still auto-inserts and works reasonably well as long as LP is on. The problem is that I'm in the habit of closing Pale Moon when I'm not using it, and each time I close it, LP now closes as well. It never used to do this. It would last for days, usually more than a week, before wanting to be re-started. The current behavior is annoying, but I'd find not auto-inserting even more so.

Unless Last Pass changes its absurd policy of ignoring Pale Moon, I think I'll eventually have to find a different password manager. But I'm VERY grateful to everyone who has contributed to the current thread. :thumbup: I now have the Moon Tester Tool installed and understand better how it works. As coffeebreak said, it's likely to be quite helpful in the future with other add-ons.

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2017-12-25, 21:00

OMG! I think I've just discovered why Last Pass 3.3.4 turns off each time I close down Pale Moon. A few weeks ago, I was trying to diagnose some problem, and one suggestion was to clean out my cache, my cookies, and my browsing history. I reluctantly did that. My setting for cookies stayed the same as it always was, namely, they should be kept until they expire, so I figured the new ones would be kept. Little did I realize that saying that PM should "clear history when Pale Moon closes" would not just clear my browsing history but browsing and download history, active logins, form and search history, cookies, and cache! So those two settings were at odds with each other. One says cookies should remain until they expire, the other says they're toast as soon as the browser closes. Weird! Anyway, I unchecked the cookies and then closed the browser. When I opened it again, Last Pass came back on after about half a second. This was what it used to do, and what I want it to do. (I discovered all this as I was about to write a message to this forum asking why the Pale Moon forum doesn't remember me in spite of my checking "remember me." Now I know! Having told Pale Moon NOT to get rid of cookies when the browser closes, I find that not only does LP come back on, but also the Forum does again remember me.) I confess that I'm a bit embarrassed to admit all this, but I wanted to make it clear that, at least for now, I no longer have a problem with Last Pass 3.3.4. :thumbup: )

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-12-25, 23:59

cyberreine wrote:So those two settings were at odds with each other. One says cookies should remain until they expire, the other says they're toast as soon as the browser closes. Weird! Anyway, I unchecked the cookies and then closed the browser. When I opened it again, Last Pass came back on after about half a second. This was what it used to do, and what I want it to do.
That's odd indeed, but I never have the cookies to delete upon closing so it might have been a long time before I could get to that conclusion. Glad you sorted that out, brain puzzle moment still that it affects the add-ons, now.
We tested things for Science and to see if we can replicate things, as some have rare instances that no one else could as well, doesn't hurt to try.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-26, 04:37

Yea, generally you never want to clear cookies on a regular basis at least. I use Cookies Exterminator so I keep the cookies I want and the ones I don't want once I leave the site are removed.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2017-12-26, 05:37

Hi Pale Moon Rising,

I took a look at the listing for Cookie Exterminator on the Mozilla add-ons site. I was interested to see that the description included the following message:
"Unfortunately, Mozilla does not provide all the necessary APIs that could allow to migrate this add-on to WebExtensions. If you want to continue using it after November 14, 2017, you should consider replacing your browser with Pale Moon, SeaMonkey or Waterfox. Many thanks for your feedback and support over the years."

I hope more developers add similar messages!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-26, 14:07

@cyberreine,
Glad that you solved your problem. What a relief. :)
cyberreine wrote: A few weeks ago, I was trying to diagnose some problem, and one suggestion was to clean out my cache, my cookies, and my browsing history. I reluctantly did that. My setting for cookies stayed the same as it always was, namely, they should be kept until they expire, so I figured the new ones would be kept. Little did I realize that saying that PM should "clear history when Pale Moon closes" would not just clear my browsing history but browsing and download history, active logins, form and search history, cookies, and cache!

Just FYI, it's possible to clear selected categories of history/data (and only those categories) on a one-time basis with the 'Clear Recent History' function. You can define the time range and only clear items whose boxes you tick off:
(Menu Bar, or PM Button) > History > Clear Recent History... or (Ctrl+Shift+Del):
If time range "Everything" is selected, name becomes "Clear All History"
clearAllHx.png
cyberreine wrote:The most recent setting I've used is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 (Pale Moon). All my recent attempts to download LP files have been made with this as the setting in about:config. Given that, shouldn't AMO have seen my version as compatible? [emphasis added]

AMO did see your version as compatible with that user agent: That's why it unlocked the green install ('Add to Pale Moon') button, and it's also why you weren't seeing the "Download Anyway" link etc. AMO doesn't advertise alternate download methods when it thinks your browser is compatible.

Were you thinking that the original problem installing LastPass ("because ... Jetpack/SDK extension") occurred because AMO did not see the browser as compatible? If so, that's not why LastPass didn't install.

Jetpack/SDK extensions are inherently incompatible with Pale Moon 27.*, and changing user agents or changing what AMO "thinks" about the browser will not enable them to install. It needs the edits performed by the Tester Tool (on a locally saved file) to install a Jetpack extension to Pale Moon 27.*.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2017-12-26, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2017-12-26, 20:18

Thanks VERY much, coffeebreak! Once again, you've provided very helpful information. I'm most grateful. :thumbup:

So if I understand you correctly, if I can download one of the more recent LP add-ons that have elements incompatible with Pale Moon, I can then have Moon Tool Tester install them and have them work? Does that apply to the recent add-on move to web extensions as well? So what I would do is right-click on Add to Pale Moon, and then find that downloaded file using Moon Tester and have MTT install it? If so, this is terrific news!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-26, 21:28

cyberreine wrote:So if I understand you correctly, if I can download one of the more recent LP add-ons that have elements incompatible with Pale Moon, I can then have Moon Tool Tester install them and have them work?

No, I'm afraid not.

Moon Tester Tool enables certain extensions to install but does not guarantee that they'll work properly. The whole idea of it is to enable installation so that you (the user) can then test whether some extension or other works. ("Tester" tool, yes? :))
cyberreine wrote:Does that apply to the recent add-on move to web extensions as well?

No, Moon Tester Tool does not apply to web extensions so far as I know.
It also doesn't apply to the older-style (cfx) extensions.

To my knowledge, MTT applies to (the newer) jetpack/SDK extensions (that were made using jpm), and generally to toolkit or bootstrap extensions that have compatibility problems. Edit: and also applies to themes.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2017-12-26, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2017-12-26, 21:47

Thanks very much, coffeebreak, for setting me straight about what Moon Tester Tool can and cannot do. What you say makes perfect sense. However, it also means that as Last Pass follows Firefox down deeper into the web extension hole, there may indeed come a time when LP simply won't work any more with Pale Moon. :thumbdown: So I guess I should keep my eyes open for an alternative password manager. Meanwhile, though, I'm delighted that LP 3.3.4 still works well.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-27, 17:13

cyberreine wrote:Hi Pale Moon Rising,

I took a look at the listing for Cookie Exterminator on the Mozilla add-ons site. I was interested to see that the description included the following message:
"Unfortunately, Mozilla does not provide all the necessary APIs that could allow to migrate this add-on to WebExtensions. If you want to continue using it after November 14, 2017, you should consider replacing your browser with Pale Moon, SeaMonkey or Waterfox. Many thanks for your feedback and support over the years."

I hope more developers add similar messages!
To be expected for JustOff's extensions on AMO (which is what Cookie Exterminator is since JustOff writes a lot of extensions for Pale Moon) but I'm afraid it's probably not common place for other add-on developers on AMO although I did notice this for FEBE as well if you scroll down to "about this extension".
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-12-27, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2017-12-28, 17:49

Thanks, Pale Moon Rising, for posting the link to JustOff's add-ons. As Firefox moves more completely to web extensions, JustOff's work will be indispensable. I've now bookmarked the link you provided. :thumbup:

Any_One

Unread post by Any_One » 2018-12-06, 09:03

I have PaleMoon 28.2.1 (64-bit) installed and am trying to install the LastPass add-on.
Unfortunately the older versions of this add-on are not available anymore on the AMO servers.
Since v3.3.4 has some serious security issues I am looking for version 4.1.67 that seems to work with PaleMoon.

Where can I download this version 4.1.67?
Or is anybody willing to share it with me (e.g. via Dropbox) ?

Thanks in advance,
AnyOne

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-06, 10:11

Any_One wrote:Where can I download this version 4.1.67?

I don't personally use LastPass / have a copy of the xpi.

However it's possible to get LastPass 4.1.6.7 (plus earlier versions) by means of installing a different extension,
the Classic Add-ons Archive (related thread here).
caa-lastpass.png
caa-lastpass-versions.png
It provides access to a large archive of cloud-stored xul extensions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Any_One

Unread post by Any_One » 2018-12-06, 13:14

Great, worked like a charm using this "Classic Add-ons Archive".
Thanks a lot!