Any up to date documentation of internal prefs ("about:config")?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Any up to date documentation of internal prefs ("about:config")?

Unread post by gepus » 2017-12-15, 18:22

After testing, I'd like to finalize the customization of Pale Moon - hence my question.
It would make much easier to create an user.js tailored to my needs.
A compromize between privacy, security and convenience would only lower them all.

BTW, has Pale Moon hidden prefs, not visible in "about:config"?
I'm asking because Firefox has.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Any up to date documentation of internal prefs ("about:config")?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-15, 21:21

gepus wrote:Any up to date documentation of internal prefs ("about:config")?
AFAIK, no "formal" documentation. See these posts (which are in context of discussing one specific preference): 1, 2.

The best way I know to learn the meaning/values of any preference is to copy its exact name from about:config and search it in:
gepus wrote:BTW, has Pale Moon hidden prefs, not visible in "about:config"?

Yes, though I don't know off-hand what they are. (The couple or so I knew about have since become non-hidden.)

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2017-12-16, 12:49

Thanks for your feedback.
I understand that manpower of the project is limited.

Nevertheless, at least hidden prefs made public would increase transparency IMHO.
I don't think there is a myriad of such hidden entries.
Hence, by keeping an up to date list wouldn't take much of the precious time of a developer.
As for some users it would be of great help. 8-)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-16, 13:06

gepus wrote:Nevertheless, at least hidden prefs made public would increase transparency IMHO.
I don't think there is a myriad of such hidden entries.

No, I don't think there's a myriad either. :)

BTW, take a read through this list in Pale Moon's F.A.Q. (which I'm afraid I'd forgotten about): Which additional preferences does Pale Moon have? It names a handful of (hidden pref)s - though reading through them, I think they're not all still hidden.

You might also search on 'hidden pref' in the code repository and xref.palemoon.org.
These things are transparent/findable. But it does require making the effort to search for them.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2017-12-17, 09:27

@coffeebreak

The F.A.Q. was where I started first before opening this thread.
It is helpful and covers Pale Moon specific prefs. BTW, dom.disable_beforeunload, mentioned here is also a Firefox pref.

The other links you gave are unfortunately not of much help.

Almost all prefs of Pale Moon are inherited from Firefox. When I asked for Pale Moon's hidden prefs I was also referring to hidden prefs inherited from Firefox.
Are all hidden prefs of Firefox inherited by Pale Moon? Which of them are and which of them aren't?

This isn't a complete list, just a couple of examples:
social.enabled: hidden pref?
network.dns.disablePrefetchFromHTTPS: hidden pref?
permissions.memory_only: hidden pref?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-17, 13:33

gepus wrote:When I asked for Pale Moon's hidden prefs I was also referring to hidden prefs inherited from Firefox.
Are all hidden prefs of Firefox inherited by Pale Moon? Which of them are and which of them aren't?

I don't know the answer to this.
And suspect it may not be trivial to make a comprehensive list. (You can't assume: "large job for yourself, but small job for someone else").

(I might get corrected by those who know, if I'm mistaken, but...)
Such list in itself might not be gigantic (guessing here), but the code bases that contain the prefs are massive. It's not a given that any developer has such a list just sitting at the top of his head. And please be aware that although PM and FF share a huge amount of code, there are also significant divergences.

You seem to want something like these user.js's below - but specifically adapted for Pale Moon. Unfortunately, I don't know of any.
https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js
https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js
https://github.com/atomGit/Firefox-user.js

My only suggestion (not what you want or ideal, but...): You could go through one/any of these user.js's. Then search in xref.palemoon.org or the github repository on the names of preferences that concern or interest you to see if they show up there (but don't show up in about:config).

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2017-12-17, 16:27

coffeebreak wrote: And suspect it may not be trivial to make a comprehensive list. (You can't assume: "large job for yourself, but small job for someone else").
I could do also without a comprehensive list of all Pale Moon's prefs (I can parse them in "about:config") but I'd need at least a list of those few hidden prefs inherited from Firefox.
coffeebreak wrote: And please be aware that although PM and FF share a huge amount of code, there are also significant divergences.
Compared to the ESR branch those divergences are less significant as you might think. ;)
coffeebreak wrote: You seem to want something like these user.js's below - but specifically adapted for Pale Moon. Unfortunately, I don't know of any.
https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js
https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js
https://github.com/atomGit/Firefox-user.js
Exactly, except something tailored to my own needs.
I'm already using such an user.js with Firefox and I intended to make one for Pale Moon too.
coffeebreak wrote: My only suggestion (not what you want or ideal, but...): You could go through one/any of these user.js's. Then search in xref.palemoon.org or the github repository on the names of preferences that concern or interest you to see if they show up there (but don't show up in about:config).
As already told, that's hopeless. In case you wonder why, you could make a test on your own. ;)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-17, 18:41

Original from which you quoted (includes what I responded to):
coffeebreak wrote:
gepus wrote:When I asked for Pale Moon's hidden prefs I was also referring to hidden prefs inherited from Firefox.

I don't know the answer to this.
And suspect it may not be trivial to make a comprehensive list. (You can't assume: "large job for yourself, but small job for someone else").

And:
gepus wrote:
coffeebreak wrote: And suspect it may not be trivial to make a comprehensive list. (You can't assume: "large job for yourself, but small job for someone else").

I could do also without a comprehensive list of all Pale Moon's prefs (I can parse them in "about:config") but I'd need at least a list of those few hidden prefs inherited from Firefox.

I never said anything about a comprehensive list of "all Pale Moon prefs."

To be very clear: It may not be trivial to make a comprehensive list of hidden preferences. You omitted the context when you quoted me. I was responding to your statement and question (which is quoted top of page). Though you evidently didn't take this into account and misread things.
gepus wrote:
coffeebreak wrote: You seem to want something like these user.js's below - but specifically adapted for Pale Moon.
. . . . .

Exactly, except something tailored to my own needs.
I'm already using such an user.js with Firefox and I intended to make one for Pale Moon too.
Of course tailored to your own needs. The published user.js's linked above are jumping-off points (they're like reference books). There doesn't exist, to my knowledge, such a "reference book" specifically for Pale Moon.

How did you develop your user.js for Firefox?
From what I've seen, people use information from various sources: articles, forum posts, Mozillazine-kb, comprehensive user.js's (like those linked) which are commented and informative...

If you currently have a list of Firefox prefs that you know to be hidden in Firefox (and aren't in Pale Moon's about:config), search for those prefs in xref.palemoon.org and the code repository.

The tools are there if you decide to use them.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2017-12-17, 20:47

@coffeebreak

Mozillazine-kb and comprehensive user.js's (like those linked) are of no use for what I have asked for. The hidden prefs there are referring to Firefox.
They might or might not apply to Pale Moon. Prefs are not graved in stone. They might change over time or become deprecated. That's also the reason you won't find a comprehensive user.js for Pale Moon among those links or anywhere else.
My user.js applies for the code base of Firefox I'm actually using. It got several changes over time.
As for those tools you are referring to, they are useless. Did you make a test as suggested? You have three examples to test with. :)
I'm afraid that we are going round in circles. Never mind!
Thanks again for trying to help. 8-)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-17, 23:31

gepus wrote:As for those tools you are referring to, they are useless.

Respectfully, this could not be more mistaken. I have used these tools and found them useful.
  • Mozillazine-kb: A great deal of its content is still very relevant to Pale Moon. I use it often and find it invaluable.
  • Those user.js's: Yes they were made for Firefox. And various parts "might or might not apply to Pale Moon". - You would need to read through them selectively. And check things further in PM's about:config | xref.palemoon.org | PM's source code (github).
  • The source code cross-reference search tool (xref.palemoon.org) and Pale Moon's source code repository (github):
    They are certainly not "useless." I do search in them and find them helpful.
    (Though it is necessary to spend a little time to get acquainted with them. (merely "acquainted" - you don't need to know how to code to search them.) And you do have three examples to learn with. xD)
gepus wrote:I'm afraid that we are going round in circles. Never mind!

Agreed. :)
Thank you for the discussion @gepus, and best of luck to you.