open search results in new tab

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
FrizzleFry

open search results in new tab

Unread post by FrizzleFry » 2017-12-08, 17:47

Is there an option or plugin that will open a new tab when doing a search from the navigation toolbar?

I know alt-enter opens a new tab but I would prefer a new tab without using alt-enter.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: open search results in new tab

Unread post by Goodydino » 2017-12-08, 19:45

If you use the searchbar, you can get results in a new tab if you hit the carriage return key after typing the search terms. That will not work with the addressbar.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-12-09, 01:59

Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.4 will allow you to do this and so much more. ;)
Screenshot - 12_8_2017 , 6_58_15 PM.png

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-09, 18:39

Goodydino wrote:If you use the searchbar, you can get results in a new tab if you hit the carriage return key after typing the search terms. That will not work with the addressbar.
When I enter a search term, then hit Return, the results in appear in the same tab, not a new tab. Definitely using the Search Bar, not the Address Bar (URL Bar). Is there some setting involved?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

FrizzleFry

Unread post by FrizzleFry » 2017-12-09, 18:48

I used Tab Mix Plus on Firefox for a long time. It seems like overkill for me but I'll try it in Pale Moon for a while. Thanks.

Yeah, hitting Enter (CR) in either the address or search bars opens the result in the active tab. I have to use Alt-Enter to get a new tab from either bar.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-09, 19:17

Goodydino wrote:If you use the searchbar, you can get results in a new tab if you hit the carriage return key after typing the search terms. That will not work with the addressbar.
gracious1 wrote:Is there some setting involved?

browser.search.openintab set to true

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-09, 19:41

FrizzleFry wrote:Yeah, hitting Enter (CR) in either the address or search bars opens the result in the active tab. I have to use Alt-Enter to get a new tab from either bar.
Ah, an extremely useful keyboard shortcut! :thumbup:
coffeebreak wrote:
Goodydino wrote:If you use the searchbar, you can get results in a new tab if you hit the carriage return key …
[when] browser.search.openintab set to true
Also good to know! :geek:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2017-12-09, 20:17

gracious1 wrote:
When I enter a search term, then hit Return, the results in appear in the same tab, not a new tab. Definitely using the Search Bar, not the Address Bar (URL Bar). Is there some setting involved?
In about:config, I have this setting:
browser.search.openintab = true
That seems to be necessary for opening in a new tab. I have had that set for years (in other Mozilla browsers), so forgot to mention it.

tpcsanh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by tpcsanh » 2017-12-09, 22:44

Another add-on extension is SearchLoad Options Revived:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/searchload-options-revived/

Compatibility is only listed for Pale Moon 25-26. I am running Pale Moon 27.6.2 64-bit and the extension does everything I want it to. One of which is open the search results in a new tab.

FrizzleFry

Unread post by FrizzleFry » 2017-12-09, 23:29

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the SearchLoad Options Revived add-on and it opens a new tab when searching from the search bar but not when searching from the address bar. Same with browser.search.openintab = true.

I guess for now I'll use Tab Mix Plus. I was able to remove two other add-ons I was using and I like TMP's session feature.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2018-07-13, 18:41

This is an old thread but it's the closest one to addressing the issue I'm having. Please feel free to move this somewhere else if I'm posting in error! :D

My search bar has been acting queerly. Although I have known about the About:Config/browser.search.openintab setting for awhile and have it configured to "true" in order to get search results in a new tab, it is opening the search results in the current tab. I have tried starting in safe mode and have even created a blank profile (yes, I set it to "true" in the blank profile ... :oops: ) but I can't get it to work. Is anyone else having this issue :?:

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-07-13, 19:16

Shadeclan wrote:Is anyone else having this issue
Not here.
When I set browser.search.openintab to true, searches from the search bar open in a new tab as expected.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2018-07-13, 19:28

I deactivated TabMixPlus to address YouTube issues I'm having. Could it have left weird settings over and beyond the ones in about:config? If so, do I need to uninstall Pale Moon, delete anything that's left and restart?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-07-14, 05:31

tpcsanh wrote:Another add-on extension is SearchLoad Options Revived:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/searchload-options-revived/

Compatibility is only listed for Pale Moon 25-26. I am running Pale Moon 27.6.2 64-bit and the extension does everything I want it to. One of which is open the search results in a new tab.
I am using this add-on as well: SearchLoad Options Revived 0.7.4.2 and it not only worked in 27.x but I find it also works in v28 (beta) as far as opening search-bar results in a new tab (it used to be you could do this conditionally depending upon options selected which for the most part still work okay) - see options page for add-on:
Search Load Options Revived add-on.png
Note: with my settings (above) if the active tab is a blank tab (about:blank) then search results using the search-bar will open in the same blank tab (which is most likely what would be desired since the active tab is blank and would be an exception to an active tab that is not blank in which case a search-bar search would then open the search results in a new tab in that case.)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-07-14, 05:47, edited 2 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2018-12-13, 22:11

Is there a way to open in a new window instead?
I hate searching for tabs.
Windows has tabs built into the taskbar.

browser.search.openintab;false does nothing
Last edited by cartel on 2018-12-13, 22:13, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-12-14, 01:05

cartel wrote:Is there a way to open in a new window instead?....
Do you have the right-click context menu choice to "Open in New Window"?
Right-Click context menu
Right-Click context menu
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2018-12-14, 12:09

The search option
2018061.jpg
ImageImage

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-12-16, 17:48

target new windows (bookmarklet) would work on a per instance case, say with a listing of Google search links (but does not work for the context-menu item 'Search Google for...').

Similarly, suppose you could hack the 'Search Google for " "' code, adding "_target=blank" & that should do it, automatically.
(No idea what that might entail? Or if you could accomplish similar through some CSS magic?)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-12-16, 18:23

cartel wrote:Is there a way to open in a new window instead?
What is your "browser.link.open_newwindow" set at? Mine is: "browser.link.open_newwindow" = "3"
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-12-16, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-12-16, 18:35

cartel wrote:Is there a way to open in a new window instead?...
The extension Tab Mix Plus v0.5.5.0 is compatible with Pale Moon. This add-on provides a multitude of settings (as you can see in the screen-shot), perhaps this specific setting (among many others) would give you the result you want:
open links in new window.png