Video autoplay - identify tab

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
weamish

Video autoplay - identify tab

Unread post by weamish » 2017-12-05, 00:48

Any progress on identifying which tab is playing video? I generally keep the speakers on mute, but it's a big problem when I actually want to play a video, only to discover that there's another video already playing.

Thanks!

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Video autoplay - identify tab

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-05, 18:28

I personally use Expose Noisy Tabs for this (there is also Play/Pause 1.2.2, but I like the former far better).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

weamish

Unread post by weamish » 2017-12-05, 23:27

Thanks, I'll give that a try

pablo4096

Unread post by pablo4096 » 2017-12-09, 20:16

Thanks to that, I was missing in palemoon. :thumbup:

weamish

Unread post by weamish » 2018-04-20, 20:07

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I personally use Expose Noisy Tabs for this
I've installed Expose Noisy Tabs. There are now 45 tabs open, and one of them is playing video. I have the ENT indicator icon size set at 32 with 100% opacity (simple speaker v1), but I don't see an ENT icon on any of the tabs. Must be missing something? Thanks!

roseman127

Unread post by roseman127 » 2018-04-20, 20:21

weamish: "The extension works only with HTML5 media elements. Flash is not supported."

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-20, 20:23

FWIW - the screen-shot below displays my "Expose Noisy Tabs" settings (I don't have the time to open 45 tabs and find a video with sound to test :D).

See if this helps (change icon size and make sure icon color will be a contrast to tab color):
Noisy tabs setting.png
If the problem persists -- please post the URL with the video and I'll be happy to test it too. ;)

Oh yea -- as posted above the extension works thus quote: "The extension works only with HTML5 media elements. Flash is not supported." as mentioned on add-on page: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/expose-noisy-tabs/.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-20, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

weamish

Unread post by weamish » 2018-04-20, 22:22

Thanks, guess it must be something other than HTML5. Is there any easy way to open the 45 tabs in Chrome to see whether it picks up the offender? This stuff sure is annoying...

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-20, 22:49

weamish wrote:Thanks, guess it must be something other than HTML5. Is there any easy way to open the 45 tabs in Chrome to see whether it picks up the offender? This stuff sure is annoying...
Do you recall what the website address (URL) was that had the video with sound so that you can post this information in your next reply in this topic?

weamish

Unread post by weamish » 2018-04-20, 23:01

Just located the offending tab -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wHChbahlI

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-20, 23:29

weamish wrote:Just located the offending tab -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wHChbahlI
The video icon displays:
video icon displays.png
and I'm able to optionally mute the video of course:
can mute okay.png

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-20, 23:38

^ Follow-up -- I recall you said you had 45 tabs opened --- so I've opened 45 tabs and tested and get same results:
Results with 45 tabs open (muted icon) -- Sound icon still remains visible
Results with 45 tabs open (muted icon) -- Sound icon still remains visible
opened 45 tabs icon still visible - muted as before.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Results with 45 tabs open (sound icon not muted) -- Sound icon once again still remains visible
Results with 45 tabs open (sound icon not muted) -- Sound icon once again still remains visible
opened 45 tabs icon still visible - sound on again.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 996 times
It all appears to work for me as expected. Of course the tabs are smaller due to so many tabs opened -- but the sound icon still remains both visible and operational for me....

Do you get different results in your case with this website?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-20, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

weamish

Unread post by weamish » 2018-04-20, 23:47

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I'm able to optionally mute the video of course
Thanks, but I'm afraid that doesn't help me. I keep the speakers muted, so I don't notice (or care) when a video is playing. Except when I need to listen to some other recording, only to discover there are overlapping voices. Typically it's easier to first close PM, then listen to what I want, then re-open all the tabs with the speakers muted again. But this is obviously a clumsy workaround necessitated by the fact that the browser is unable to identify the offending tab(s)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-20, 23:55

weamish wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:I'm able to optionally mute the video of course
Thanks, but I'm afraid that doesn't help me. I keep the speakers muted, so I don't notice (or care) when a video is playing. Except when I need to listen to some other recording, only to discover there are overlapping voices. Typically it's easier to first close PM, then listen to what I want, then re-open all the tabs with the speakers muted again. But this is obviously a clumsy workaround necessitated by the fact that the browser is unable to identify the offending tab(s)
I'm confused -- if the tab has the sound icon (as is the case in this example) then the tab can be identified and identified if it is playing sound or muted as well by simply scrolling through all of the tabs that you have open at the time. So what do you mean by you are "unable to identify the offending tab(s)"? :?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-20, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

weamish

Unread post by weamish » 2018-04-20, 23:56

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I've opened 45 tabs and...the sound icon still remains both visible and operational for me....
Do you get different results in your case with this website?
Yes, the tab is much smaller than your example - it shows only the YouTube play symbol. I'm using a 13" laptop, perhaps your monitor is larger? (Not sure how to post the saved image here)

(And thanks so much for taking the time to work through this!)
Last edited by weamish on 2018-04-20, 23:59, edited 2 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-20, 23:58

Try reducing the size of the sound icon....

weamish

Unread post by weamish » 2018-04-21, 00:01

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Try reducing the size of the sound icon....
Reduced it to 8 (as far down as it would go), still does not appear.

In case you missed my edit above, thanks so much for all your time and effort.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-04-21, 00:18

weamish wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:Try reducing the size of the sound icon....
Reduced it to 8 (as far down as it would go), still does not appear.

In case you missed my edit above, thanks so much for all your time and effort.
You are of course welcome. Can you post a screen-shot of the tab for the URL you posted showing the missing sound icon?

You can always report the issue you are having to the extensions author here: https://github.com/wsdfhjxc/expose-noisy-tabs/issues

It seems to me that the "Expose Noisy Tabs" sound icon should display in your case if it works okay for me.

So even with just one tab open you are still unable to see the sound icon in the tab for this website?

If the answer to the question above is "true" then it is possible that you have another extension that is interfering with the operation of the "Expose Noisy Tabs" extension.

Try testing this in Safe Mode (go to Pale Moon "Help">"Restart in Safe Mode...", then select "continue in Safe Mode" in the next interface) and test this website to see if you then get the sound icon in Safe Mode.

If you do then it would appear another extension is presumably interfering with "Expose Noisy Tabs".
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-04-21, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

weamish

Unread post by weamish » 2018-04-21, 00:41

7 youtube.JPG
7 youtube.JPG (12.05 KiB) Viewed 969 times
(Dunno why the tab shows up as white in the screenshot - it's the same gray color as all the other tabs)
Last edited by weamish on 2018-04-21, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

weamish

Unread post by weamish » 2018-04-21, 00:53

Tried it with just a couple tabs, and the ENT icon does appear. So it appears to be a function of the tab width. Of course, with only a few open tabs, it's relatively easy to locate the offender, with or without ENT. Need to find something that will flash the tab, or maybe nuke it.

Incidentally, looks like Chrome would have the same issue, depending on the number of open tabs.