Videos won't play on Fox Sports Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Rik11

Videos won't play on Fox Sports

Unread post by Rik11 » 2017-11-21, 22:12

The videos on Fox Sports (https://www.foxsports.com) won't play. I tried Pale Moon in safe mode with add-ons disabled and they still won't play. Any way to fix this?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Videos won't play on Fox Sports

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-11-21, 22:26

Works for me when i use an user agent override - but beware videos are partly slow loading and it needs a while until they play, had to press partly couple of times on play to start them.

Try in the Pale Moon options the Firefox compatibility mode user agent wise - but worked in my case also with a random user agent (used the Otter browser user agent for testing).

Both - my preferred Flash mode works but also MSE MP4 mode (for those who are willing to endure that new "standard") works that way for me.

Rik11

Unread post by Rik11 » 2017-11-21, 23:55

Pale Moon is set to Firefox compatibility mode. I tried a different user agent in about:config but that didn't help.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-11-22, 00:52

Videos in Fox Sports do not play for me either and I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon (27.6.1) with default settings. I even turned off Adblock Latitude and still no joy.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Rik11

Unread post by Rik11 » 2017-11-22, 00:57

I'm also using the 64-bit Pale Moon (27.6.1). The videos won't play in safe mode either, so it's not an add-on problem. I tried multiple useragent overrides, but none worked.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-22, 01:03

Videos on that Fox Sports link don't play for me either.
I'm using PM 64 bit latest version on Windows 10 Home Fall Creators update 64 bit.
Videos on the main Fox news site work fine.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-22, 12:12

There's a mixed content issue with foxsports videos.
Apparently the site/player tries to load insecure active content which gets blocked.

Changing security.mixed_content.block_active_content to false allowed the video to play here.
(It was also necessary to use FF compatibility mode and turn off the adblocker.)

Tested in new/vanilla and everyday profiles.
Pm 27.6.1, Win 7 x86

ONE MORE NOTE:
People should reset the above setting to default when they're done with this page:
From a security standpoint, it's not prudent to routinely permit insecure active content in an otherwise secure environment

Edit:
When you click on the player it produces a warning shield next to the identity panel. You can manage the setting and get info by clicking it:
mixedWarning.png

Rik11

Unread post by Rik11 » 2017-11-22, 12:58

Thanks coffeebreak. Clicking on the warning shield setting works, although the video takes a while to start.

Nick2018
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nick2018 » 2018-02-11, 16:25

Hello,
I have been trying to get videos to play on Fox News and I have tried every suggestion listed here but videos still will not play. Pale Moon 27.7.2, 64 Bit. Windows 7 Pro. All software is fully updated. I have U-Block Origin installed however even disabling it does not work. I also have installed, Firefox ESR and the Fox News videos play without a problem even with U-Block Origin enabled.

Please help!

Thanks,

Nick

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-02-11, 18:27

Videos still do work here in latest unstable. But you have to deactivate the mixed mode for that page as described some posts above, and you need a custom user agent override. It is a bit tricky this time. First the override is needed to make the mixed mode sign appear, then you click it to unblock and wait around 15 seconds until one minutes and the videos do load.

Error console is flooded with lots of error messages btw. for this page.

1) type: about:config
2) Right click - new - string
3) enter inside: general.useragent.override.foxsports.com - press ok
4) enter: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko - press ok
5) reload the page
6) The mixed mode icon appears in the address bar - click on it and allow the page
7) page gets loaded then automatically - press then the play button
8) Wait 15 seconds until one minute
9) Enjoy ;)
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-02-11, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Nick2018
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nick2018 » 2018-02-11, 23:10

Hello and thank you for the help.

I did not have a chance to try your suggestion because I was loading Pale Moon onto a Windows 10 machine. In doing so I discovered my problem! I had installed as an Add-on, "HTTPS Everywhere 5.2.21" and this was preventing Fox News videos from working. As soon as I removed this Add-on and restarted all was good!

I hope that this information is helpful to someone else.

Nick