Increased Amount Of Internet Cache Files In Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Zirconia Wolf
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Increased Amount Of Internet Cache Files In Pale Moon

Unread post by Zirconia Wolf » 2017-11-21, 19:40

Not sure what exactly is causing this - or if it's really a problem or not - but I'm just curious why the amount of Internet Cache files in Pale Moon is many, many, MANY times larger than what I ever saw in Firefox?

For example, if I launch Firefox, pause a few moments on my homepage (Google) & promptly close my browser down I will have exactly 1 file (0 KB) in my Internet Cache as per CCleaner's analyze feature. However if I should do the exact same launch/pause/shut down thing with Pale Moon (homepage also set to Google) I will see a whopping 34 files (1,296 KB) in my Internet Cache! After visiting just a couple sites yesterday I actually had 921 of the little buggers! I've never seen number nearly that high in FF, no matter how long I was online.

So I guess my questions are why this ginormous (to me) increase in these files, is this considered perfectly normal, & if it's not normal is it something I need to adjust in the settings somewhere?

My OS is W7 64-bit SP 1
Firefox is the version right before the "ultimate" thing (I keep nuking the update folder to avoid that monstrosity)
Pale Moon is the latest 32-bit set to Firefox compatibility mode (it was like that when I first launched it, but I'm perfectly willing to change this) with all my bookmarks & passwords imported.

The only extensions I've installed so far (other than the Shockwave/etc plugins that apparently came over when I imported my FF files?) are:
- ABPrime
- Greasemonkey + the Facebook Purity app
- NoScript
- Open about:config
- I Don't Care About Cookies (bless the person who created this!)
- The Persona/Light Theme Manager + I theme
- The Persona/Lite Theme Maker

Also, if it makes a difference as of now FF is still my "default" browser, only because I am still getting Pale Moon tweaked the way I want it.

More information gladly provided if needed.

Thanks for any explanations and/or reassurances that I haven't "broken" anything already.
Browser: Pale Moon (29.2.0 32 bit)

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Increased Amount Of Internet Cache Files In Pale Moon

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-11-21, 22:11

Zirconia Wolf wrote:So I guess my questions are why this ginormous (to me) increase in these files, is this considered perfectly normal, & if it's not normal is it something I need to adjust in the settings somewhere?
Tools->Options->Advanced->Network->Cached Web Content->Override Automatic Cache Management

Set your cache to your desired size.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-22, 00:18

LAR Grizzly wrote:
Zirconia Wolf wrote:So I guess my questions are why this ginormous (to me) increase in these files, is this considered perfectly normal, & if it's not normal is it something I need to adjust in the settings somewhere?
Tools->Options->Advanced->Network->Cached Web Content->Override Automatic Cache Management

Set your cache to your desired size.
I dont think your reply actually solves the issue...
OP did a comparison between PM and firefox and it seems PM is caching more and limiting the cache doesnt really solve the problem. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-11-22, 01:24

I'll guess you have FF set to clear history on exit, and you need to set the same in PM.

Tools / Options / Privacy, and be sure to have a look at settings.

Zirconia Wolf
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Zirconia Wolf » 2017-11-22, 05:56

Thanks for the replies/info. I'll have to dig around in the settings & see what's up. Still learning what all I can do with Pale Moon.

I haven't (knowingly) set FF to clear anything automatically (I nuke such things myself with CCleaner & BleachBit) & it does show several files in its cache after I've been surfing a while, but never more than 30 or so. Just spent a couple minutes on FB & had 796 files in Pale Moon. Strange.

Anyway I'll take a look at the various setting options & see what's up. Other than this "quirk" (which may be more of a "me" thing than an actual quirk) I'm really liking what I see of Pale Moon & am happy to have found a viable alternative to FF which seems intent on suicide lately. Nice to find a browser that will work the way I want it to, not the way somebody else thinks I want it to!
Browser: Pale Moon (29.2.0 32 bit)

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-11-22, 14:49

Zirconia Wolf wrote:Thanks for the replies/info. I'll have to dig around in the settings & see what's up. Still learning what all I can do with Pale Moon.
If you have a fast Internet connection, you can disable Caching if you don't want those files on your HDD. Just set the Cache limit to zero.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2