Force Link to Open in Private Window

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Shadeclan

Force Link to Open in Private Window

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2017-11-20, 17:16

You can do this in a shortcut or script to open a given link in a private window:

Code: Select all

palemoon.exe -private-window https://[target link]
Is there a way to do this within a PaleMoon bookmark? Is it possible to format the link in a way that will do this or is there an add-on that allows you to specify links to always open in a private window?

Personally, I think a nice enhancement to Pale Moon would be to add a check box in the bookmark properties that would permit this but this is probably not a highly desired feature and Moonchild has enough to do.

The Mozilla add-on Auto Private doesn't work.

GMforker

Re: Force Link to Open in Private Window

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-11-20, 17:37

You can do it optionally (at least):
bookmarks_private.png

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2017-11-20, 17:46

Oh, I know you can right-click on it. But for us old timers who usually forget to do that, it can be a hassle.

I have a unique situation at work - I have to log into 2 different domains. Most of the work I do is in Domain #1. However, I have to report my time in Domain #2. The website has an auto-login feature that uses whatever domain you are currently logged into so, naturally, it tries to log into the site using Domain #1, where it fails. A neat work-around is to bring up the site in a private window which forces the website to ask for authentication - I can then log into the site using credentials for Domain #2. It would make things a little bit more convenient if I could force the link to open in a private window from the browser, that's all.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-20, 17:52

You can install Private Tab add-on and prefix bookmarks you want to open in private mode with "private:" (i.e. private:https://www.palemoon.org).

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2017-11-20, 17:58

JustOff wrote:You can install Private Tab add-on and prefix bookmarks you want to open in private mode with "private:" (i.e. private:https://www.palemoon.org).
That did it!

Plus, I didn't need an extra window!

Thanks, again JustOff - you're the best! :D :clap:

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-20, 18:14

It's simple one of my favorite add-ons 8-)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-20, 21:08

JustOff wrote:It's simple one of my favorite add-ons 8-)
I concur -- it's very useful and I have it installed in my main Pale Moon setup for daily browsing -- I don't use it often, but it's there when I need it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2017-11-21, 14:23

Moonchild wrote:
JustOff wrote:It's simple one of my favorite add-ons 8-)
I don't use it often, but it's there when I need it.
Same here but it's appreciated when needed.
Thanks again, JustOff - it's working perfectly!

GStathops
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by GStathops » 2017-11-22, 08:06

Thats one of my favorites addons also,
May i ask why is it listed in 'Known Incompatible Add-ons' page
with pending status?

Thanks

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2018-11-21, 14:10

GStathops wrote:Thats one of my favorites addons also,
May i ask why is it listed in 'Known Incompatible Add-ons' page
with pending status?

Thanks
It's listed as incompatible because the programmer is not targeting Pale Moon and nobody is branching it. As a matter of fact, it just stopped working with this last update and I'm going to have to right-click on the stupid tabs again.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-11-21, 15:52

It seems the author of Private Tab has finally decided to support Pale Moon officially :thumbup:

I just sent him a patch that should fix the "private:" protocol issue in Pale Moon 28 and Basilisk, and I hope it will be resolved soon.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2018-11-21, 16:22

JustOff wrote:It seems the author of Private Tab has finally decided to support Pale Moon officially :thumbup:

I just sent him a patch that should fix the "private:" protocol issue in Pale Moon 28 and Basilisk, and I hope it will be resolved soon.
Wonderful, JustOff! You're the best!

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-11-21, 19:35

No, I'm definitely not. I have overlooked that the author already fixed this in the current version :oops:

Unfortunately there is no binary package with these changes available yet. You can PM me if you fail to create it yourself from the source repo.