playing videos in palemoon Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
hgjbgf

playing videos in palemoon

Unread post by hgjbgf » 2017-11-19, 00:40

Hi, trying to find a replacement for firefox, and someone suggested pale moon. Looks good, however it's not as user friendly, or plug and play, as the other browsers. I've just installed it, and it won't play videos? From facebook links or directly from youtube. No idea why, and I really mean no idea. Any suggestions would be helpful. Windows 7 64.

lyceus

Re: playing videos in palemoon

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-11-19, 03:16

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Things that you need to check for get videos working better in Windows 7:

1. Pale Moon relies in the Windows 7 video codecs (other browsers have some deal with companies for internal video codecs). The best way to get all codecs you need is to install K-lite Codec Pack in "Mega" flavor. This install all codecs you may need and that are needed for these sites.

2. Check that how your videos work with the MSE (Media Source Extensions). By default these are enabled but some video cards bork with MSE, you may need to try'n'see if works better with or without MSE for MP4 videos. The Menu option for check this is: Tools > Options > Content > Video

3. You may need to disable 2D or 3D acceleration, I would point to some direct thread but the changes vary depending of your video card model. Please try "2D acceleration" in the search tool of the forum.

4. The obvious fix is clearly see if your video drivers are updated. :mrgreen:

I hope this helps!

Greetings,
Lyceus

hgjbgf

Unread post by hgjbgf » 2017-11-19, 07:46

Thanks.
The first two did nothing. Is that k lite thing worth keeping? Never needed it before and it hasn't helped, so I'm not sure what it does?
Not sure where to start on the 1100 odd threads with 2D acceleration?
I assume the drivers are fine because everything works in firefox? Is this right?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-19, 07:49

Also please post the website address (URL) to a few of these problematic web pages so they can be tested to see what the problems might be.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

hgjbgf

Unread post by hgjbgf » 2017-11-19, 08:23

All of youtube, and every video on facebook. Seriously, youtube.com pick anything.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-19, 08:28

I am using the following useragent Override for YouTube: general.useragent.override.youtube.com set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0 (which is not default).

You might try this UA Override setting to see if this helps.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

hgjbgf

Unread post by hgjbgf » 2017-11-19, 08:35

Sorry, I think you missed the no idea part. Where is this user override? Is palemoon like linux, a hobby in itself, or is this just the set up phase and once it works it will work?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-19, 08:38

If you are not familiar with this first copy this (select and copy) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

Then type about:config in the browser address bar, click the "I promise to be careful" button (about dragons) then type useragent.override.youtube into the about:config search bar to get to the current default youtube UA Override setting to be "modified".

Double-click on that setting to get the prompt box to change the value. Then press CTRL+V to paste the value you copied to this setting which will then look like to what you see below and click the "OK" button.
youtub UA O.png
youtub UA O.png (21.1 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
You are done, you can close the (about:config) browser tab and test youtube videos to see if this change helps.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-11-19, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.

hgjbgf

Unread post by hgjbgf » 2017-11-19, 08:46

Thanks again, but no luck. Thanks for the help.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-19, 08:57

In "Options" > "Advanced":
hardware Acceleration setting change.png
What "Compatibility" (User Agent Mode) setting do you have?

Try changing the settings pointed out (either disable Hardware Acceleration setting if you have it enabled (or visa versa). Also try changing to another User Agent Mode).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-19, 08:58

Also do you have the following Video settings (in Options>Content):
Video settings in PM.png

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-19, 09:06

Still problems?

Click on this URL link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Cjsnq8kVU (just took the first one I saw).
EXAMPLE YOUTUBE VIDEO
EXAMPLE YOUTUBE VIDEO
What happens in your case after loading this URL? (do you get an error or what is it that occurs)

scottieimate

Unread post by scottieimate » 2017-11-19, 20:35

Hello hgjbgf , i think this will fix your video problem. go in the address bar , and type , about:config , once inside there , in the search bar type media.windows-media -foundation , once done typing that in you will see both of these

1. media.windows-media-foundation

2. media.windows-media-foundation.use-dxva

set both of those to false ..................... just double click on each one to change it , you might have to restart your browser , or just try youtube after you try this

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-19, 23:47

^ To be clear, I am not the OP, but I have no problem playing videos and both of these pref settings in my case are set to the default value "true". :?

Let me also be clear that I'm not suggesting what you advise should not be tried by the OP.

Just wanted to offer this observation is all. ;)

Addendum: scottieimate -- I assume these two settings are at "false" in your case and videos play without any issues for you (so of course it is worth a try in the OP's case as well :D).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-11-19, 23:54, edited 2 times in total.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2017-11-19, 23:50

Same here.
No problem with YT.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2017-11-19, 23:53

@ hgjbgf

Can you try this link
https://www.youtube.com/html5

What does your browser support ?
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-19, 23:58

Good question Nightbird to be asked of hgjbgf :thumbup: - Mine is always:
Vid supported in browser.png
and have no issues playing videos.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-11-20, 08:45

Whoops, nevermind.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-11-20, 13:07

@ hgjbgf

I don't have a Facebook account so I can't help with embedded videos in Facebook, but I watch YouTube videos everyday. Since I have poor eyesight, I prefer YT's dark them so I have a custom user agent for YT. I changed the user agent in about:config and it is the one below for 64 bit Windows 7.

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.youtube.com

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9 (PaleMoon)
To get to about:config, in your Navigation/Address bar, type: about:config and then hit your enter key. You'll see the Dragons warning prompt, click on "I'll be careful" and then in the Search bar type in general.useragent.override.youtube and then you can change YouTube's user agent for Pale Moon.

I might add, I can watch YouTube videos in linux too but I had to use a different user agent from the one above, but the result is still the same. I have no problems watching YouTube videos in windows or linux using Pale Moon (27.6.1).

One last thing, have you tried creating a new profile because if you have transferred things over from a Firefox profile into a new Pale Moon profile, this might be the problem since Pale Moon is now a fork of Firefox. If you have, then I suggest you make a clean profile, but don't delete your old profile until you find out if the new profile works for videos in Facebook and YouTube. BTW, I'm assuming you know how to make a new profile.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox