HTML5 Videos not playing

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
kender42

HTML5 Videos not playing

Unread post by kender42 » 2017-11-18, 15:26

I am having major issues getting strict HTML5 videos to play. Even the videos on WC3 won't play as it says the PM browser does not support the HTML5 video playback. What is the workaround for this?

I am a DJ and pay someone to maintain my website but only people who use Chrome can see my videos. I have recently removed the videos from my site until I can find a way to have everyone view them.
My website is more of a DJ/Musician press kit resume and is extremely important that even Firefox/Pale Moon/Opera/etc. users see them. Most browsers have disabled the use of flash video since Adobe no longer supports it.

[edit]
While on the WC3 site (the "authority" on web html tags) Says that the Pale Moon browser does not conform to the new standards of rendering and need to be updated. Also since this is a problem on wc3 that means that I can't even learn how to implement the new tags since the media won't play for the tutorials.

qrestlove

Re: HTML5 Videos not playing

Unread post by qrestlove » 2017-11-18, 16:28

First, are you updated to the latest version of Pale Moon? The latest version is 27.6.1.
While on the WC3 site (the "authority" on web html tags) Says that the Pale Moon browser does not conform to the new standards of rendering and need to be updated.
Where does it say that?

Also, I've checked HTML5 playback on my system, with http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html -- Every video on that page works for me, running Pale Moon 27.6.0 x64 on Kubuntu.

I think there could be some codecs missing or outdated on your system, possibly.

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dfleiss » 2017-11-18, 20:34

I think I'm experiencing the same issue. When I visit this site, I see a black box at the top where the video should be. If I right-click and show only that frame, the video plays fine.

I restarted the browser in "safe mode", but I still only saw the black box.

All three videos on the test site mentioned in the preceding post work fine for me.

I'm running v. 27.6.1 (64 bit) in Windows 7.

Any thoughts?

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2017-11-18, 21:12

I don't need to click, the video starts automatically and plays fine.

(Win 7 32 bits, PM 27.6.1)

edit :
with NoScript, i allowed "some" scripts
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-11-18, 21:40

dfleiss wrote:I think I'm experiencing the same issue. When I visit ... I'm running v. 27.6.1 (64 bit) in Windows 7.

Any thoughts?
I watched the (very interesting) video with no problem, though I, too, had to tell NoScript to allow the page to run it.

Are you using some type of script blocker?
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dfleiss » 2017-11-18, 22:30

JoeyG wrote:Are you using some type of script blocker?
The only thing of that sort I have installed is Adblock Latitude, with no special options selected. I turned it off on that page and the video still wouldn't load and, as I wrote, I restarted the browser without any extensions and it wouldn't load.

Is there a script-blocking box in Options that I may have checked inadvertently?

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-11-18, 22:50

dfleiss wrote:... Is there a script-blocking box in Options that I may have checked inadvertently?
Under the "Content" tab at the bottom where it says "Video", I have that checked and the top two of the three (i.e. not webm).

Does this help?

By the way, I don't know why I don't have webm checked. :problem:
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dfleiss » 2017-11-19, 22:38

JoeyG wrote:
dfleiss wrote:... Is there a script-blocking box in Options that I may have checked inadvertently?
Under the "Content" tab at the bottom where it says "Video", I have that checked and the top two of the three (i.e. not webm).

Does this help?

By the way, I don't know why I don't have webm checked. :problem:
Thank you for the suggestion. I have the same boxes checked.

The last box (WebM) is grayed out. According to the Help page, it's disabled by default.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-11-19, 22:56

dfleiss wrote: ... Thank you for the suggestion. I have the same boxes checked ...
Hmmm, I guess I'm out of ideas.

All I can say is if you really want to watch that movie and happen to be in Berlin, send me a message. I'll invite you over for coffee, and you can watch it on my computer. :wave:

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dfleiss » 2017-11-20, 00:21

JoeyG wrote:Hmmm, I guess I'm out of ideas.

All I can say is if you really want to watch that movie and happen to be in Berlin, send me a message. I'll invite you over for coffee, and you can watch it on my computer. :wave:
Thanks! I may take you up on that offer one day! :D

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-11-20, 00:47

Try a New Profile, might be that your version is corrupt.

Or reinstall Palemoon over your current installation. If not, uninstall cleanly and reinstall Palemoon.

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dfleiss » 2017-11-20, 01:16

I installed a new profile, and I was copying my bookmarks, reinstalling my extensions, etc., one at a time to identify the source of the problem.

When I reinstalled everything with the new profile and was still able to watch the video, I wondered what was different. I realized I hadn't configured any of the extensions or browser options, so I started with the Options. I changed Privacy to Use custom settings for history, Never accept third-party cookies. Now the video won't play. When I changed it back to Always, the video plays. If I change it to From visited, the video still plays.

So the problem is with the dang website, which wants to feed me cookies, not with the browser or any of my extensions or (in my opinion) settings.

Thanks to everybody who tried to help.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-11-20, 01:57

Off-topic:
dfleiss wrote:So the problem is with the dang website, which wants to feed me cookies, not with the browser or any of my extensions or (in my opinion) settings.
I found that same problem trying to watch FOX shows. Good to know your solution was found. We still need input from the OP.