PM / Basilisk — Multi-core/multithreading?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM / Basilisk — Multi-core/multithreading?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-21, 14:02

vannilla wrote:I was recalling incorrectly about Mozilla: it wasn't about multithread but multiprocess (Electrolysis).
You know, that statement makes even less sense in that case.
Of course XUL being a UI language will always be in the main process that governs the UI. It doesn't matter what language you use to build the UI, it will ALWAYS be a single process. Extensions dealing with content would of course have to be e10s compatible in their scripting/how they communicate back to the UI process, but that has no bearing on XUL or the XUL parser's parallelism or lack thereof.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2018-05-21, 14:18

Off-topic:
vannilla wrote:I was recalling incorrectly about Mozilla: it wasn't about multithread but multiprocess (Electrolysis). Apologies for that.
Haha, I also had in mind this very multiprocessing (e10s) in one of the previous topics :)
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-05-21, 18:10

Moonchild wrote:You know, that statement makes even less sense in that case.
Yes, after reading your replies and making some more researches I discovered my post was wrong in many fundamental parts.
I thought I had it clear but I didn't. :crazy:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-21, 19:03

Don't feel bad - it's not an easy topic and there's much terminology confusion around due to many articles stating things incorrectly or without clarity.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite