Facebook search avatars missing

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Facebook search avatars missing

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-14, 00:32

Try Pale Moon's native user agent. To find it:

Select Preferences/Advanced/General/User Agent Mode/Native
Find a "what's my user agent" website and it'll tell you the string. It'll be something like "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20180305 PaleMoon/27.8.1" but could be different depending on your system. Also avoid using an older Pale Moon version.
You can then switch back to whatever mode you were using in the Preferences.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-03-14, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-03-15, 15:00

back2themoon wrote:Try Pale Moon's native user agent. To find it:

Select Preferences/Advanced/General/User Agent Mode/Native
In Pale Moon Portable, there's no option to change the User Agent Mode to Native there. Only to turn on/off Firefox Compatibility.
Find a "what's my user agent" website and it'll tell you the string. It'll be something like "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20180305 PaleMoon/27.8.1" but could be different depending on your system. Also avoid using an older Pale Moon version.
You can then switch back to whatever mode you were using in the Preferences.
I'm not really sure what you're telling me to do here.
FYI, the strings I listed are what came with PMP. I haven't changed anything.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-15, 16:01

Brian wrote:I'm not really sure what you're telling me to do here. FYI, the strings I listed are what came with PMP. I haven't changed anything.
They try the string I mentioned on my post.

Go to about:config and type agent in the search box.
Locate the general.useragent.override.facebook.com entry and double-click it. In the string value box that appears, paste the string:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20180305 PaleMoon/27.8.1

Do the same for the general.useragent.override.fbcdn.net entry, restart the browser, go to about:config again and verify the overrides you applied are in place. Then go to FB and test it.

As mentioned, these suggestions are mostly for the latest and standard version. I don't use the portable and don't know how it might behave.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-03-15, 16:04, edited 4 times in total.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-03-15, 20:35

Wouldn't changing to the most current agent defeat the purpose of me using an older version of PM?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-15, 21:05

Brian wrote:Wouldn't changing to the most current agent defeat the purpose of me using an older version of PM?
No, it's just a user agent, nothing more and it would only be for Facebook. You can change the Pale Moon version there if you prefer, that's not what triggers the changes in FB's website anyway.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-03-30, 00:05

back2themoon wrote: Go to about:config and type agent in the search box.
Locate the general.useragent.override.facebook.com entry and double-click it. In the string value box that appears, paste the string:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20180305 PaleMoon/27.8.1

Do the same for the general.useragent.override.fbcdn.net entry, restart the browser, go to about:config again and verify the overrides you applied are in place. Then go to FB and test it.

As mentioned, these suggestions are mostly for the latest and standard version. I don't use the portable and don't know how it might behave.
I don't understand why, but that fixed the thumbnail issue. I only had facebook.com and fbcdn.com, not fbcdn.net, so I created it.

Only thing is now it has the issue where if you click on a photo it constantly switches back and forth between that view and the original view. It was talked about here on the forums awhile back. I'm not positive, but I think I noticed this before I changed the user agent.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-30, 09:51

Brian wrote:Only thing is now it has the issue where if you click on a photo it constantly switches back and forth...
If are still using an older Pale Moon version, that is probably why.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-03-30, 19:35

back2themoon wrote:
Brian wrote:Only thing is now it has the issue where if you click on a photo it constantly switches back and forth...
If are still using an older Pale Moon version, that is probably why.
I had neither problem using the old version before I had to reinstall.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17352#p135690

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-31, 08:36

The constant reloading/switching is a known FB issue, and has been resolved by a Pale Moon update, don't remember which one. Once again: don't use old Pale Moon versions unless you want to deal with random issues (including security ones) and no support.

The Facebook search behaviour is related to quirks in the Facebook website itself. User-agent changes help, but don't expect miracles. It works fine for my FB account. On another FB account -same PC, same Pale Moon- it works differently.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-03-31, 08:38, edited 2 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-31, 13:01

back2themoon wrote:...It works fine for my FB account....
The FB Search Avatars work fine for me using the Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20180305 PaleMoon/27.8.1 UA Overrides.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-05-06, 22:12

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
back2themoon wrote:...It works fine for my FB account....
The FB Search Avatars work fine for me using the Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20180305 PaleMoon/27.8.1 UA Overrides.
It did for me too, as I stated Mar 29, 2018 6:05 pm, at least until now as today I noticed the problem is back. No avatars again.
Last edited by Brian on 2018-05-06, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-05-25, 15:46

Now that that one doesn't work, does anyone know of any other UA Overrides that would work?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-05-25, 16:48

Yes, it doesn't work any more with the native user agent. Couldn't find an alternative and just reset it to the default override. At least you can now mention people in comments (with @). Note that FB now also uses facebook.net/fbsbx.com, in addition to the usual facebook.com/fbcdn.net.

My workaround for quickly jumping to specific friends: I created a FB bookmark folder with A-Z subfolders inside, adding all friends in there (yes, one by one... not a huge list for me anyway). So I just start typing the friend name in the address bar and press enter. No need to deal with FB's stupid search bar.