Facebook search avatars missing

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Brian

Facebook search avatars missing

Unread post by Brian » 2017-11-15, 00:47

In the search box at the top, search results normally have a picture beside them. They don't now on mine. This just started happening after I updated to PM 27.6.0 (64 bit) yesterday. However I was out of town for a week until yesterday, so maybe FB changed something in that time. It did happen in the past on another PC I had but eventually went away, I think after a PM update.
Does anyone else have this problem?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Facebook search avatars missing

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-15, 07:02

If you mean these pictures:
FB pics.png
Then no I do not have the same problem in Pale Moon 27.6.0 (32-bit).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2017-11-15, 14:16

No. "In the search box at the top"
When you start typing, a list of matches drops down from the box before you hit enter.

I'm thinking FB has been screwing with it. I noticed they changed the search. After you select a result, the "people", etc filters used to be on the left and are now at the top, and filters for location, dates, places, etc are now on the left.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-15, 15:10

Yea, I'm just getting just the names only as I type in the search box as well.

I don't personally use FB (only have it for the rare cases when something I'm looking at uses FB or I use for testing like in this case) --- so then FB used to render thumbnail images (avatars) next to the names when typing into the search box?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-11-15, 15:17, edited 2 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-15, 15:16

are you using the pale moon commander by any chance?
If so and its a long shot but try disabling "block ssl images" within the commander.
May or may not help but it looks like those images are being blocked for some reason.(obviously.) :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-15, 15:19

Moonraker wrote:are you using the pale moon commander by any chance?
I am not the OP but I do use PM Commander and apparently get same results as the OP.... So in your case the "avatars" do display when typing in the search box?

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2017-11-15, 16:20

I don't use PM Commander.
It did use to have pics beside search results, but I'm thinking now that it's a change FB made.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2017-11-15, 23:35

Yah, when I noticed this, I just assumed it was Facebook updating the way search worked. I really only search for groups, so my behavior is a bit different.
Now when I search for a group, I don't see individual group results anymore, so no group images show. This makes sense to me. It seems the search produces suggested search terms now, and when I choose one, it takes me to actual search results, which then show images. They've turned what used to be a one-step process into a two-step process.

That's how I see it anyway...

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-11-16, 14:15

It's a user agent issue: Facebook behaves differently, giving or taking some features depending on the user agent it sees. It does sound a bit ludicrous.

You can get this behaviour back (search avatars/thumbnails and direct results) but you will lose the mentioning feature. See here, you need to use the Gecko or Native user agent string for both Facebook overrides.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2017-11-16, 15:30

Thanks, back2themoon. Why did this just change in the past few days? I had both FB video audio and search avatars until I updated to 27.6.0, or until FB made a change in the previous week.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-11-16, 15:34

It probably changed because 27.6.0 switched to a different default Facebook override. I wouldn't exclude some Facebook coder waking up with an experimental mood (they do tend to change -and usually break- stuff on a weekly/daily basis) but it's probably due to the override change. This isn't new, I've noticed it weeks (or months) ago. It all depends on the override setting, not the actual Pale Moon version.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2017-11-16, 16:24

back2themoon wrote:It probably changed because 27.6.0 switched to a different default Facebook override. I wouldn't exclude some Facebook coder waking up with an experimental mood
Either one broke it for me. I guess I'll try installing the previous version again and see if it's the former reason.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-16, 16:39

back2themoon wrote:It probably changed because 27.6.0 switched to a different default Facebook override. I wouldn't exclude some Facebook coder waking up with an experimental mood (they do tend to change -and usually break- stuff on a weekly/daily basis) but it's probably due to the override change. This isn't new, I've noticed it weeks (or months) ago. It all depends on the override setting, not the actual Pale Moon version.
The current FB default UA Override settings in PM 27.6.0 are "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 (Pale Moon)".... :think: with the intention of addressing any UA Override issues. ;)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-11-16, 17:36

Yes and as explained, the current default override does solve most issues but not all. Even though in this case it's not really an issue, but a different behaviour for the FB search bar. A worse behaviour imo - but not a major issue or anything. Either case, everything works more or less as expected.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-02-26, 18:21

To get around this problem, I installed an earlier version of PM Portable, which I think was 26.5.0. It worked fine until it accidentally got deleted. I reinstalled PMP 26.5.0 but am now getting the "no avatars" problem (only text) like v27. Anyone know why this would happen? Should I try an even earlier version?
FB.jpg
Last edited by Brian on 2018-02-27, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-03-03, 00:33

Anyone have any ideas?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-03-03, 00:57

No Avatars in latest Chromium stable or Otter Browser either. So, looks like if this actually is an issue, it is not only Pale Moon related. Try with Basilisk if there is something different:

http://basilisk-browser.org/
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-03-03, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-03-03, 06:43

It worked fine until I screwed up my install and when I reinstalled a couple days later, it didn't.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-03-04, 00:44

Facebook search is really not consistent. On my single Pale Moon profile, it behaves differently when I log out and a second/different user logs in. So, this could somehow be cookie-related, too.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-03-13, 23:35

back2themoon wrote:It's a user agent issue: Facebook behaves differently, giving or taking some features depending on the user agent it sees. It does sound a bit ludicrous.

You can get this behaviour back (search avatars/thumbnails and direct results) but you will lose the mentioning feature. See here, you need to use the Gecko or Native user agent string for both Facebook overrides.
The post you linked to seems to say that I can switch it to where I'll not have video sound, but the thumbnails will work. If so, I rather have them than sound. What do I need to change them too?

Right now I have:
general.useragent.override.facebook.com; Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.0
general.useragent.override.fbcdn.com; Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.0